Merged: Blackout Expected For Local Television/Question about blackout | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Blackout Expected For Local Television/Question about blackout

SkapePhin said:
I dont have money to buy any decent tickets or Id go.. Will Sports Bars in the Fort Lauderdale area be able to broadcast the game?

nope, the bars either get the game over the locals or Sunday Ticket. If they can get the game over locals it is blacked out by Sunday Ticket, and if it is blacked out over local, they are just SOL

Lando's Folly said:
From what I understand is, If the game is blacked out, the closest place it will be televised is Port St. Lucie. It's about a 40 minute drive North on I95.
what are you driving, a plane?

igor79 said:
out of state miami fans are allways more dedicated... whats up with that?

Because it's easy to say what you would do, if only you were there. I live in West Palm, have a job, a wife , 2 kids and a life. This weekend, I'll be coaching my 5 year-old's flag football game, starting my kid in Sunday school, dealing with some work issues, and yeah I was looking forward to watching the game in a social environment with my neighbors and their kids. For me to "support my team" and go to the game, I'd have to give up the entire day to drive down early enough to park, blow off my kids' first day of Sunday school, and abandon my family, or at least part of it, for the entire day. It's one thing if you're single and live right around the corner, but it really sucks to be a family man living on the outer edges of the blackout area.

In general, I think it's just not reasonable for us to be held hostage by greedy owners through an exception to anti-trust laws (which were put in place to avoid this exact type of extortion). This is why I think public financing of stadiums is such a joke. San Diego tried the argument that since they financed the stadium, they shouldn't be subject to blackout rules. That was handily defeated.

For all those holier-than-thou out of towners that would go to every game if only they were here, either buy a ticket to help lift the blackout or shut up. I'm not interested in what you'd like to think you would do. I'm a hardcore Phins fan that's probably gonna miss the game now, so I'm just not in the mood.:yell:

Fickle Spoiled Fans...

Get Out There And Show Some Loyalty!!

LtDan said:
Seems like you could plan and attend one game. I could be wrong though

Yeah, I can and do plan and attend at least 1-2 games. But that doesn't help the specific game that's under blackout conditions. Those of us with families and obligations have to plan in advance, but we can't go to every game or drop everything to support a low attendance game. Believe me, the Dolphins get their share of my money!

I can't stand it when Phinz fans, who live in the state of Florida, complain about the games not selling out. It's opening day, if you're a Phinz fan living in Florida, get your *** to the game!!!.....

You guys have no room to complain. PERIOD. I travel every year to see my Phinz on the road. I've been everywhere from Jacksonville, to Tampa, to San Diego, to Seattle, and San Francisco.....

If you're a fan, and you're within driving distance, show some support for a change. There's no excuse for the Florida Phinz fans who are not showing up. I'm sick of seeing fans from Bradenton / Cape Coral / ect ect complain about not being able to see the game. Get your *** in your cars, and hit the road...

PHINZ RULE!!!

islandah said:
Because it's easy to say what you would do, if only you were there. I live in West Palm, have a job, a wife , 2 kids and a life. This weekend, I'll be coaching my 5 year-old's flag football game, starting my kid in Sunday school, dealing with some work issues, and yeah I was looking forward to watching the game in a social environment with my neighbors and their kids. For me to "support my team" and go to the game, I'd have to give up the entire day to drive down early enough to park, blow off my kids' first day of Sunday school, and abandon my family, or at least part of it, for the entire day. It's one thing if you're single and live right around the corner, but it really sucks to be a family man living on the outer edges of the blackout area.

In general, I think it's just not reasonable for us to be held hostage by greedy owners through an exception to anti-trust laws (which were put in place to avoid this exact type of extortion). This is why I think public financing of stadiums is such a joke. San Diego tried the argument that since they financed the stadium, they shouldn't be subject to blackout rules. That was handily defeated.

For all those holier-than-thou out of towners that would go to every game if only they were here, either buy a ticket to help lift the blackout or shut up. I'm not interested in what you'd like to think you would do. I'm a hardcore Phins fan that's probably gonna miss the game now, so I'm just not in the mood.:yell:

I was so going to make this post, and then I read yours. I have two small children and work long hours during the week. I have to coach soccer teams and spend a little time with my family on weekends. Some of us can't just blow off an entire day. I live an 1 1/2 hour drive from the stadium and I will be blacked out. That's just wrong.

Here's what I don't get . . . . I specifically recall a Fins game about 6 or 7 years ago that was televised on ESPN and the blackout radius was different (I think it was 35 miles). The reason for the difference was because they could control who recieved the game through cable providers that covered certain areas. So, if they did the reduced blackout radius with cable, why can't they do it with Sunday Ticket? They know where their subscribers live and they can black out the game if you live within 35 miles of the stadium. :confused:

Nublar7 said:
Only if you live in Miami. Out of staters don't have to worry about ticket sales when it comes to Direct TV.

What about Orlando? I've had Marlin games blocked out up here on some channels.

Justasportsfan said:
what are you driving, a plane?

West Palm Beach to Port St. Lucie is about a 40-50 minute drive (by automobile) on a Sunday.

Take it easy on us local fans... I used to be a season ticket holder and even now I'll still go to 2-3 games a year. But, to be quite honest with you, I enjoy the game much more at home on TV. No sitting in traffic for 2 hours (or walking from Calder :( ). No heat stroke. No lines to go to the bathroom. No drunk a$$holes. You get to hear the announcers. You get instant replays (I love Tivo). You get multiple angles of each play. You get constant updates (very important for us fantasy football guys). Plus, afterwards you get to watch the 4 o'clock game. That's not taking into account the money you save (about $100 per person).

Quite frankly, the NFL blackout rules are outdated and stupid. The NFL makes most of it's money through television (they have the richest TV contract of all the major sports)... Not to mention most of South Florida's highest rated programs are Dolphins games.

Dolphreak said:
I'll tell ya... A$$hole little punks that get paid WAY to much to play a game, drive ticket prices through the roof!! I have a wife and daughter that I have provide for, and it's not so easy for me to pay those prices to see my favorite team. Plus it is a freaking Sauna at the stadium for 1:00 games, plus any seat I could get would be so far away from the action the players would look like ants!!

I would rather be at home in A/C, with a 12 pack of Corona, in the front row seat that is my couch. If they want to play the blackout game I can just be a Canes fan, and Fins can kiss my a$$!!

ADMIN EDIT: Dude... you are breaking the TOS by namecalling. Please refrain from doing so in the future.

LtDan said:
That's great and all but to say you won't be a fan if they have a blackout is a bit much. It is the rules and have been for 30 years. Not like the Dolphins are trying to screw you. I am very dedicated to my family so don't even go there. I am in the military and they don't exactly pay us the big bucks. My son and I went to JAX for the preseason game and have tickets for the New Orleans game(likely won't see it) Seems like you could plan and attend one game. I could be wrong though

True, true, I will always be a fan... It just ticks me off when they have to black it out. And I do usually make it to at least one home game each year of the fins, and one to two of the Canes games. I just wasn't planning to make it to this one, but I REALLY want to see it, and not have to just listen to it on AM790.

Back
Top Bottom