MERGED: Chris Akins Out For The Season | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGED: Chris Akins Out For The Season

Muck

Now completely imaginary
☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
Akins Out For The Season

Just keeps getting better for the Phins. Now we lose our best special teams player. :(

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...ug08,0,4439560.story?coll=sfla-dolphins-front

With Akins and Wooden likely done for the season.....and John Jones being a major disappointment (and about to be cut), the special teams have been dealt a serious blow.

Talking about Wooden and Akins.........

With veteran safety Shawn Wooden, also one of the Dolphins' most valuable special teams contributors, likely facing season-ending back surgery, the loss of Akins cripples both the secondary and special teams units.

"Those were the two best guys I had. When guys like that are out, obviously, somebody has got to step up," said special teams coach Keith Armstrong. "Hopefully, somebody will come through in the next four games and we've got to obviously look on the market and see what's available."

News on Akins?

has anyone heard anything about the injury suffered to akins yesterday at the scrimmage?? was it serious or minor? has the front office released a statement yet? thanks to anybody that responds.

He's out for the season with a "signifigant knee injury" according to the Miami Herald

As someone said the other day, the offseason wasn't bad enough. It wasn't "complete". We were just missing season-ending injuries to key players. Now we're getting them. :cry: :fire:

Yes this little news item as been lost in all of the hullabaloo of the RW and DB situations but it is quite worrying as Atkins and Wooden (Also injured) are considered to have been the two best players on our STs .We need the STs this year to make up for some of the losses.Now some of the rookies (Poole,Bua,et all) have to step up to take their places.

Did anyone notice this paragraph further down in the article?:
"With Arturo Freeman and Sammy Knight penciled in as the starting safeties, the Dolphins are left with only three others, including Antuan Edwards, Yeremiah Bell and rookie Quintin Williams. Of the five, only Knight has started an NFL game."

Excuse me? Only Knight has started an NFL game? I think Edwards and Freeman may be more than a little surprised to learn they've never started an NFL game. Do these papers ever bother to proof read their stories before they publish them?

As sickening as the loss of Akins is for this year, It can be looked as an opportunity for a rookie like Quintin Williams to make a name for himelf.
He was highly regarded by at least one well known draft publication, as Frank Coyle of draftinsiders.com ranked him higher than both safeties drafted by NE, Guss Scott and Dexter Reid.

Sorry to hear about Akins. I figured it was a knee. When someone rolls on your leg from the front and side it is an ACL/MCL (think Willis McGahee). I hate knee injuries, just the thought makes me sick. I have blown both of my ACL's. Seeing McGahee's knee bend the wrong way on TV...I still get flashbacks. That will be roughly the timeframe for Akins too. Not what his agent said, 9 months my a--.

PatriotGOD said:
Sorry to hear about Akins. I figured it was a knee. When someone rolls on your leg from the front and side it is an ACL/MCL (think Willis McGahee). I hate knee injuries, just the thought makes me sick. I have blown both of my ACL's. Seeing McGahee's knee bend the wrong way on TV...I still get flashbacks. That will be roughly the timeframe for Akins too. Not what his agent said, 9 months my a--.

I sprained my MCL severely, but not enough for a tear. That hurt like a mother----. I cant imagine what tearing is like, its got to hurt much worse.

Anyway, this offseason keeps getting better and better! Tune in next week as Zach Thomas and Patrick Surtain suffer season-ending injuries and Junior Seau and Jason Taylor both annouce surprising retirements while Jay and AJ both look like dud QBs and Sage, the only hope for our team, is not given an equal shot at the starting spot. Want more? Stay tuned.

DolFan31 said:
I sprained my MCL severely, but not enough for a tear. That hurt like a mother----. I cant imagine what tearing is like, its got to hurt much worse.
The first knee I blew out skiing. It hurt like hell for about five minutes, then I skied the rest of the day and didn't have surgery until nine months later. I had two operations on that knee to fix it -- the first an open repair of the meniscus (not arthroscopy) and the second an ACL reconstruction. Knee surgery has to be one of the most painful things you can have done, and I have had several other major surgeries. They drill a big hole up through the fibia and then they bolt one of your hamstring tendons the the side of your femur and again at the front of the knee. It is barbaric. I was awake for the whole thing, watched it on a little TV. :cool: They give you good drugs and keep you happy. Unfortunately they wear off, and then you try to chew off your own leg.

I blew out my other one playing hockey, a guy rolled up on my leg. Partial MCL, total ACL. That one didn't hurt much at first, sometimes complete tears can be almost painless. But later, because there was a lot of bone bruising, it was much more painful than the first. It was so painful already, I couldn't stand the thought of what they would have to do to it to rebuild it. I never had that one rebuilt, it is a major life event. I decided I had already had enough of those. I hear about people that have had multiple reconstructions, I don't know how they do it. Unless you have been through it you can't appreciate how difficult it is.

Back
Top Bottom