Merged: Darnell Bing | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Darnell Bing

saves said:
I'm a big Bing fan. I think he would fit this defense perfectly. The second coming of Troy Polemalue

I'm a huge fan of Bing as well. I think this team needs a ball hawking Free Safety though. Landry fits that bill perfectly. Plus Bing hit people so hard, he is always hurt. His health will be an issue come draft day.

Ozzy said:
I'm a huge fan of Bing as well. I think this team needs a ball hawking Free Safety though. Landry fits that bill perfectly. Plus Bing hit people so hard, he is always hurt. His health will be an issue come draft day.

Bell, Tillman, and Schulters if we re-sign him can all play FS. We need a Rodney Harrison in the box type hitter.

Jaj said:
Bell, Tillman, and Schulters if we re-sign him can all play FS. We need a Rodney Harrison in the box type hitter.

Bell has a lot of potential to be pretty good, but is very raw, and still uproven. Shulters was a fine stop gap but had problems with this system since day one. He is out of place a lot, and bit the play actions, and play fakes to easily. I'm sure with another Training Camp under his belt he could fix a lot of things, but to me, this team needs better.

With almost 50 sacks this year, our safeties should have a lot more Int's. IMO

Ozzy said:
Bell has a lot of potential to be pretty good, but is very raw, and still uproven. Shulters was a fine stop gap but had problems with this system since day one. He is out of place a lot, and bit the play actions, and play fakes to easily. I'm sure with another Training Camp under his belt he could fix a lot of things, but to me, this team needs better.

With almost 50 sacks this year, our safeties should have a lot more Int's. IMO

It's our CBs that haven't had the interceptions largely because Howard is getting picked on. Bell is in his third year for god sake, and he wasn't that young to begin with when drafted. You think a rookie wouldn't be even more raw? Schulters will be fine...

Ozzy said:

I personally thing we could go either way. I like the idea of a field general, ball hawking FS, and Landry certaintly fits that bill, but I also think Shulters can be a contibuter on a playoff team, so the need isn't quite as big.

I do know are safeties are seting team records for sacks and all this year, but I think a play like Bing would make our saftey blitz's so much more effective. Bell has made some big plays this year, but how many times have you seen the SS creep up and blitz and just get tossed aside, exposing our secondary. A player like Bing could increase the chances that our blitz gets into the QB's face, boosting our secondarys chances of making a big play.

I see our attacking style of defense very similar to the Steelers. It is just awesome watching Polemalu come up to the line and take a good angle at the QB and smacking him in the face. I think we need a star in that position to duplicate their success and Bing just fits that profile for me. I wouldn't be upset at all with Landry or Huff, but my preference for big fast safeties is fully satisfied in a guy like Bing.

Jaj said:
It's our CBs that haven't had the interceptions largely because Howard is getting picked on. Bell is in his third year for god sake, and he wasn't that young to begin with when drafted. You think a rookie wouldn't be even more raw? Schulters will be fine...

Well, raw is a way you play and Bell plays raw. I know he's 3rd year but he plays that way. And yes our safeties should definitely have more picks than they do. Tillman got three, Schulters has like two or three, but we should be looking at one safety who ends up with like 7 from all the pressure we've gotten and the other dude with like 3 or 4. We've gotten enough pressure and play enough zone to warrant that.

And its arguable that Landry wouldn't be any more raw than Travis Daniels, since he too will know Nick's system like the back of his hand. I would hardly call Daniels "raw" that's for sure.

And I'm not so sure Landry projects to free safety. I guess people look at his weight and project that but I think he's played strong safety all his time with Nick and he plays like a strong safety. Very good on blitz. Very sure tackler, can probably develop some more explosion if he puts on weight. I don't see him at FS...I see him playing SS for Nick. That's just me.

Jaj said:

The Cb's on this team are not the fastest but they need a safety far more. Unless Williams somehow drops to Miami they should go safety if the right player is there. This team gave up way way way to many long pass plays. That has a lot to do with the safety, the free safety to be exact. Shulters has not been fine. Like I said, he is out of position way too much. He's been OK, thats it.

Bell still needs time, thats why you only saw him near the end of the year. Injuries forced them to play him. He is getting much better in this system, and the best thing about him, is he has speed. He's excellent on special teams too. I personally think that Landry can step right in, and start.

saves said:
I personally thing we could go either way. I like the idea of a field general, ball hawking FS, and Landry certaintly fits that bill, but I also think Shulters can be a contibuter on a playoff team, so the need isn't quite as big.

I do know are safeties are seting team records for sacks and all this year, but I think a play like Bing would make our saftey blitz's so much more effective. Bell has made some big plays this year, but how many times have you seen the SS creep up and blitz and just get tossed aside, exposing our secondary. A player like Bing could increase the chances that our blitz gets into the QB's face, boosting our secondarys chances of making a big play.

I see our attacking style of defense very similar to the Steelers. It is just awesome watching Polemalu come up to the line and take a good angle at the QB and smacking him in the face. I think we need a star in that position to duplicate their success and Bing just fits that profile for me. I wouldn't be upset at all with Landry or Huff, but my preference for big fast safeties is fully satisfied in a guy like Bing.

I can only say that you make good points, but to me, when a teams weakness is pass defense, it tells me that somewhere there is a serious flaw, and need of an upgrade. Howard will be gone for sure, but all those long pass plays this team gave up tells me that a cover safety is needed badly. Bringing in a guy like Landry would make Qb's think twice about going deep as much.

Like I said though. I really like Bing, but he gets hurt a lot.

Bowl_Bound said:
I love him. Moreover most mock drafts I have seen dont even have him taken in the 1st round. The S from LSU may also be drafted 1st. Having said that my dream draft would go 1) Cutker and 2) Bing

That'd be a nice draft if Cutler does become a workout darling. A Greenwood/Bing 1-2 punch would be nice as well.

ckparrothead said:
Well, raw is a way you play and Bell plays raw. I know he's 3rd year but he plays that way. And yes our safeties should definitely have more picks than they do. Tillman got three, Schulters has like two or three, but we should be looking at one safety who ends up with like 7 from all the pressure we've gotten and the other dude with like 3 or 4. We've gotten enough pressure and play enough zone to warrant that.

And its arguable that Landry wouldn't be any more raw than Travis Daniels, since he too will know Nick's system like the back of his hand. I would hardly call Daniels "raw" that's for sure.

And I'm not so sure Landry projects to free safety. I guess people look at his weight and project that but I think he's played strong safety all his time with Nick and he plays like a strong safety. Very good on blitz. Very sure tackler, can probably develop some more explosion if he puts on weight. I don't see him at FS...I see him playing SS for Nick. That's just me.

I would call Daniels pretty polished thanks to knowing the system. If he had more speed, he would have been talked about over Webster for sure.

I could have sworn I saw Landry at FS but I may have been wrong. He is a good tackler though, so with some added weight, he would still be perfect. He has nice height for a Safety. Being 6'3'' is an added bonus when seeing the field. But I do know one thing about him, he is a ball hawk. I really like that. Adding him would increase the chance of Int's and Sacks if you ask me.

Ozzy said:
I can only say that you make good points, but to me, when a teams weakness is pass defense, it tells me that somewhere there is a serious flaw, and need of an upgrade. Howard will be gone for sure, but all those long pass plays this team gave up tells me that a cover safety is needed badly. Bringing in a guy like Landry would make Qb's think twice about going deep as much.

Like I said though. I really like Bing, but he gets hurt a lot.

I'm going to try to pay more attention to Landry tonight. I've never really "watched" him when I've seen LSU play. I remember the name and seeing him and hearing his name called when he makes a play, but I never thought he would be a prospect at this point for the fins. Maybe he'll show that he is tougher than I thought, and can be the effective blitzer and tackler I was talking about in my previous post. He is going up against some talented skill players so if theres anytime to showcase what talent you have, tonights the night.

Also I didn't know the injury concern was so great for Bing. I still think he is our ideal safety, but I'm going to have to look closer at both of them in their respective bowl games. Hell, maybe he decides to stay for his senior year and we end up with them both:D .

saves said:
I'm going to try to pay more attention to Landry tonight. .

Tonights game will feature several players from both LSU/Miami that could be future Dolphins. Along with Landry, I'll be watching SS Jesse Daniels and WR Dwayne Bowe.

Back
Top Bottom