MERGED: Dolphins top of the list in the NFL for teams losing fans

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Daytona Fin, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Daytona Fin

Daytona Fin Smoking Hole at the Hard Rock Moderator Finheaven VIP

http://247wallst.com/2012/11/26/13-pro-teams-running-out-of-fans/

There's a study out on pro sports and teams losing fans , a top 13 list was released and the dolphins came in 13th, tops in the nfl. Seattle mariners were #1 with a 51% loss.

2. estreetnj

estreetnj Rookie

The only nfl team on that list

3. FishTank

FishTank Well-Known Member

It should not be understated that Florida gained a third NFL team in 1995. If you consider the time that it takes for a new team to saturate a region into its fan base, I think that the Jaguars have certainly impinged on what was once Miami Dolphins territory.

You could then also factor the Buccaneers Superbowl win in 2002 as a sort of resurgence for a team that had been largely irrelevant for a very, very long time. They obviously picked up some new fans during that stretch.

Obviously, since 2000, it has mostly been downhill for Miami. This really shouldn't come as a surprise to the NFL. The Dolphins organization's region is basically south Florida. Its TV region is incredibly small now since Tampa Bay has west Florida and Jacksonville has East Florida, and then there's Atlanta. How the hell is anyone supposed to watch this team on TV? Oh... I guess I'm expected to go follow the Seahawks. :(

4. Hayden Fox

Hayden Fox Love Creating Turnovers Donator

This nice post shows why this offseason is one of the most vital in the franchises history.

5. foozool13

foozool13 #12 #13 #23 #29 #54 #99 Donator

No surprise

6. Dmarino110

Dmarino110 Starter

I live in Orlando and if the jags are away I get to watch them (they havent sold out a home game in a while)...

we have no radio station in orlando to listen to the fins any more (havent for about 5 years)...

7. Heinegrabber

Heinegrabber Since 84 Finheaven VIP Donator

We never had a face of the franchise since Marino left and the team went from pass attack to ground and pound during those years.

PS....We also had some kick *** defenses those years.

8. DefensiveEnd76

DefensiveEnd76 Football Guru

Well the bandwagon fans that aren't following the Dolphins when they're losing, can just stay away when the Dolphins start winning again. We don't want you back so stay away. Fickle fans need not apply.

9. Bigjbizzle2

Bigjbizzle2 The Legend

damn i got number one and 13. :facepalm Mariners and Dolphins

10. illscriptures

illscriptures We need better LB's

Correction! We're 5-6! "If we win one more game we'll be at .500!!!

11. Nublar7

Nublar7 Retired Finheaven VIP

Embarrassing

12. Dolphins7273

Dolphins7273 Banned Hammered

But well deserved.

finomenal likes this.
  13. FinsNCanes

FinsNCanes 9-7

That 01-02 stat was rather suprising. Anyway, this is what happens when you are irrelevant for a decade +.

14. Dolphins7273

And twice manage to win only one home game in a season. Smh.

15. Nublar7

Nublar7 Retired Finheaven VIP

Why are the Dolphins more deserving than teams like the Bills, Chiefs, Rams, Raiders, Jaguars, Buccaneers, Browns, Redskins, Lions, etc.?

16. Adam Strange

Adam Strange Question Authority Finheaven VIP

Who would have thought having more losing seasons in the past 9 years than the team had in the previous 35+ years could have a negative impact on the fanbase?

Having a clueless owner like Huizenga for years and years doesn't help either, especially when he hands the keys to the franchise to an over the hill huckster like Parcells who, in turn, hands them over to an incompetent like Sparano.

Ross is lucky the team still has a fanbase.

17. Dolphins7273

5 of those teams have been to/won a SB more recently than the Dolphins. They've also managed to win a few playoff games since the turn of the century.

18. DKphin

DKphin A True Fan Donator

Miami Dolphins running out of fans

http://www.bizjournals.com/southflo...12/11/miami-dolphins-running-out-of-fans.html

19. Andyman

Andyman Canadian Fin Fan

20. BenchFiedler

BenchFiedler Undrafted Pro-Bowler

I'm sure this is NOT related to the Dolphins frequent losing record and QB change, and not making the playoffs several years in a row...

21. JCane

JCane Administrator Finheaven VIP Donator

Bunch of lousy Fireman Ed wannabes.

SMH

finomenal likes this.
  22. Gonzo

Gonzo Widerstand Administrator Finheaven VIP Donator

Add in the fact that the godawful decline came during a decade where we've seen the at-home viewing experience become exponentially better coupled with the economy tanking and you have a recipe for attendance disaster. They couldn't have chosen a worse decade to provide a **** product.

23. DOLFAN561

DOLFAN561 Scout Team

And what has their record been at home over that time? I don't have the numbers but it has been ****. I had season tickets from 06-10 and they lost a ton of home game over that span.

24. MP-Omnis

MP-Omnis Larry King, Antique Bandwagon

Mariners are last because Japan stopped being a fan.

25. MarshallFin1

MarshallFin1 Banned Hammered

can always count on gonzo for the truth and a good laugh. lol

finomenal likes this.
  26. SirDrums

SirDrums I like big drums and I cannot lie....... Finheaven VIP

Havent Been to the Playoffs since 2008

Havent won a playoff game since 2000

Havent been to the conf championship since 1992

Havent been to the super bowl since 1984

Havent won the super bowl since 1973

Its been a long time since this franchise has been relevant. This is part of our problem. Dare I say a big part.

finomenal likes this.
  27. Danny

Danny FinHeaven VIP

Wow, that's a big surprise. You have to wonder why people don't go see our team lose a whole lot more than win. I truly believe that Dolphins fans are as much die hard as any other group of fans. There's a lot to do in Miami tho and all that losing it's not going to bring the fans in. In GB people have nothing else to do and nowhere else to go so they go even if they lose. Our fans are out there waiting a return to the glory days. Start winning in a consisten basis and the fans will support the team. Keep on mind the economy is bad and now we know it's going to stay bad for at least 4 more years....lol

Ozzy rules!!

finomenal likes this.
  28. BigCityCat

BigCityCat Scout Team

The really sad thing is that this is because of NFL policy. This state can not support three teams. Jacksonville was a really bad idea.

29. DefensiveEnd76

A true fan sticks with their team through good and bad times. They don't jump ship and not show up until their team starts winning. That mentality is ridiculous. Either you're with the Dolphins or your against the Dolphins. It's that simple. There's no riding the fence.

30. Valandui

Valandui Lumberjack Batman Donator

The sad thing is, the bandwagon fans are necessary to keep those numbers up.

31. Stefins

Stefins Just a Dolphins Fan

That has NOTHING To do with losing fans..

ALL fans do not live close to Miami and the Economy is a big reason.

32. CRAZYDOLFAN305

CRAZYDOLFAN305 We Are Still Going To The SB

I wouldn't give a damn, if I was the only Miami Dolphins fan in the world. When we have lost as much as we have it has consequences, and unfortunately losing fans, and fans deciding to watch the game at home is part of that losing.

And some day we will get to winning on a consistent basis, and that has it's own set of consequences as well.

33. Gonzo

Gonzo Widerstand Administrator Finheaven VIP Donator

Diehards do show up. That's not the problem. The problem lies in getting the average fans to show up. Not everybody is a diehard like those that take the time to post on this site. Many, especially in markets like Miami, Phoenix, SD, etc. will go if it's a product worth seeing. Otherwise, they spend their disposable income elsewhere. People keep viewing the Miami market through the eyes of places like Green Bay. It's not even remotely close to the same kind of market. In Green Bay, you have a bunch of people that grew up there, just as every damn person in their family did. They grew up in a culture of the Green Bay Packers being the only thing that matters and the only thing worth doing on a Sunday outside of going to church (if you're into that sorta thing).

Miami is a COMPLETELY different market. It makes absolutely zero sense to compare these markets. Miami is a place where only about, what, 20% of the population was actually born there? The majority are transplants from other states, or worse, immigrants (by worse, I don't mean anything racial, I mean it's worse for a sports business that isn't as popular overseas as other sports). Places like GB and Buffalo don't have this problem because nobody wants to ****ing move there. Harsh, but true. So, with Miami, you have a weird situation. You have a bunch of people that were born there that moved away for work or because times got to tough and they had to move on (same happened in every market that was hit the hardest, such as Phoenix) and you have a bunch of transplants and immigrants. This is one big reason why the team remains popular nationwide, despite a decline at home.

The market is still there,
    but it's a different kind of market. This is key. There was always a market in places like Phoenix (I keep using them because I lived there) despite it's huge transplant population, however, nobody showed up to those games because it was an absolutely horrible product. Then, suddenly, they started winning. What happened? Miraculously, fans started showing up. The stadium was selling out. Part of this had to do with it being a new stadium, but that won't be enough. That stadium is in the middle of ****ing nowhere. It was literally surrounded by farms when it was built, so once that team starts losing regularly again, that attendance will plummet.

That's just the market. Ridicule the fanbase all you want, it just means you don't have a clue about how this kind of business works. That's like Borders bashing customers for not wanting to pay $30 to carry bricks around anymore rather than adjusting to what the customers actually want. In this case, the customers want a winning team. Once that happens, then they can start rebuilding a larger foundation of diehards that will stay loyal during dips in competitiveness, though that will never, ever last long in a market like Miami. The fanbase turnover is too great. Once they start winning consistently, the average fans will begin to turn into diehards, as will their kids. Anybody that grew up in Miami during the 70's, 80's and most of the 90's knows what that is like.

34. Bigjbizzle2

Bigjbizzle2 The Legend

they are last cause they went from good to complete joke outside of king felix. if they are good they fill that stadium in seattle

35. MarshallFin1

MarshallFin1 Banned Hammered

for the record, im from brazil also :)

36. PBay Fin Fan

PBay Fin Fan FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

It is just that simple. You never saw puke England fans in central Florida during the 80s when they were irrelevant. A decade if botched moves and home record if 1 and 15 for 2012 and 2011 did not help.

37. PBay Fin Fan

PBay Fin Fan FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Hanging on to henne, that last year was also a piss poor move. The fans were frustrated with the lack of effort to upgrade the most important position.

38. finomenal

finomenal A True Fan

I see this has turned into yet another "you're a fair-weather fan" thread.

Just because it's sports, it doesn't make it any less of a business for me. You wouldn't continue giving any other business your money if the product was bad for months, let alone the better part of a decade. Call it whatever you wish. I love the Dolphins as much or more than anyone else here, but I'm not spending money on subpar product. Damnit, these are the Dolphins we're talking about. I remember a time when this was a very proud franchise. I have high standards. Everyone else should as well.

Tough **** if you can't relate.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2012
  39. DefensiveEnd76

Yes but other losing teams sell out their tickets. Their fans come and support them even if they have a crappy product. Our fans don't.

---------- Post added at 10:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:58 PM ----------

What about the Hurricanes? They can have a winning record and win their division and the stadium is half empty. Horrible fan support. It seems like the fans don't show up for the Hurricanes games unless they're ranked in the top 5 and are undefeated.

40. finomenal

finomenal A True Fan

Look up the stats instead of just assuming that. It's not true. The same thing happens everywhere. Yankees fans, Jets fans, 49ers fans, Patriots fans, Falcons fans, Colts fans, Chicago Bulls fans. Consumers across the board do the same thing with their discretionary income.