MERGED: Dolphins unveil plan to upgrade stadium | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGED: Dolphins unveil plan to upgrade stadium

Dolphins7273

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...er-bowl-stadium-0108-20100107,0,1924520.story

MIAMI GARDENS - The Miami Dolphins unveiled on Thursday a vision for revamping their stadium that includes a metal roof structure that would completely cover the stadium seating, but leave the field open to the air and allow in the South Florida sunlight.

The roof is the biggest part of the proposal to prepare Dolphin Stadium to host future Super Bowls, World Cups and other international events. Other changes include moving lower bowl seating much closer to the field and upgrading video scoreboards. All of the changes would be aimed at making the 23-year-old home of the Dolphins competitive with newer, larger, glitzier and more technologically advanced football stadiums around the league, such as those in Dallas and Arizona.

Dolphins CEO Mike Dee presented renderings of the proposal to the South Florida Super Bowl Host Committee, which voted unanimously to explore stadium renovations as a way to ensure Super Bowls return to the region after Super Bowl XLIV on Feb. 7. The NFL has put South Florida on notice that without stadium upgrades, the big game is not assured of returning.

Dee and Super Bowl Host Committee Chairman Rodney Barreto said no cost estimates or sources to pay for the renovations have been determined. They insisted that unveiling the proposal was about beginning the discussions to see if the community wants to continue hosting the Super Bowls. Dee said he expects a price tag to be determined within the next few weeks.

"This is not about the Dolphins or the stadium," Dee said. "It's about economic development. It's about being able to compete for events on a national and international level."

Dee said the previous Super Bowl in South Florida in 2007 pumped about $400 million directly into local businesses and hundreds of millions more in media and marketing exposure.

Although South Florida is to host its record 10th Super Bowl on Feb. 7, the community lost out to New Orleans, which is vastly upgrading the Superdome, in its bid for the 2013 game. It has stiff competition, including the new stadium being built for the New York Giants and Jets, for the 2014 game.

Under the proposal unveiled Thursday, the roof would be 621,000 square feet and be placed 25 feet above the top of the existing seating bowl and have four support structures above that resemble the supports on a suspension bridge. Although the roof would be metal, it would be structured to allow the light in and the field would remain uncovered

I'm loving the lack of orange seats in that picture.

Anything that would put the fans closer to the field will be good, also the roof would make it louder.
Aqua seats are also better imo, the empty seats will be less visible than with the current orange ones.

wait its gonna have teal seats or your just happy you cant see them from a skyview

That is hideous looking on the outside thought the interior looks nice. I think you guys have a great looking Stadium now(except for all the orange:D).

The outside is odd, but I like it. Navy blue seats would look better, though.

I would like to see the pictures a year or two down the line when the birds get done crapping on everything...

I think that stupid roof structure is going to backfire on them.

Junc is right... It looks stupid from the outside. Aqua seats look great though. I don't think they'll end up doing the roof part. It'd be expensive and unessecary.

Dolphins reveal possible stadium changes

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/sfe-dstadiumgallery,0,7361292.photogallery
-the pictures
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...er-bowl-stadium-0108-20100107,0,1924520.story -the article
Renderings. I'm not sure if I like the roof yet. It's not all bad though, it allows the rain in but not on the seats. And I guess the idea is to let the sunlight in. I like the way the seating looks now with some aqua some orange, in the 2nd picture they are all aqua unless they just did that for the picture. The plan is to move the seats closer to the field. The video boards are in the corner too, so they would be changing seating around since the roof would mean they couldn't have the boards where they are now. These things can always change though. By the way, the stadium is no longer Land Shark, it's back to being "Dolphin Stadium" officially. For now, at least.
51502553-1.jpg

51502497-1.jpg

Junc is right... It looks stupid from the outside. Aqua seats look great though. I don't think they'll end up doing the roof part. It'd be expensive and unessecary.

The roof actually is necessary. That place is an oven early in the season, and Roger Goodell apparently still has a bad taste in his mouth from seeing all those corporate d-bags getting soaked the last time we hosted a Super Bowl. Also, a roof can amplify the sound for some much needed crowd noise.

Getting closer to the field is never a bad thing, and has been missing since the Orange Bowl... While I'd admit that aesthetically, the rendering of the exterior is kind of odd looking, I still like it because of it's uniqueness and distinctiveness. No plain wrap there!

Most importantly it signals Steve Ross's willingness to spend money to make money instead of going through the motions but in reality just milking the status quo.

Very encouraging post, thanx

How will they make lower bowls closer to field or will all seating arrangement be moved closer? And how? Lol sorry for the ignorance not a construction major here.

they should make it look more like a dome, that thing looks hideous

Back
Top Bottom