MERGED: Dolphins unveil plan to upgrade stadium

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Dolphins7273, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Dolphins7273

Dolphins7273 Banned Hammered

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...er-bowl-stadium-0108-20100107,0,1924520.story

I'm loving the lack of orange seats in that picture.

2. Dolphins7273

3. raphinmx

raphinmx Starter

Anything that would put the fans closer to the field will be good, also the roof would make it louder.
    Aqua seats are also better imo, the empty seats will be less visible than with the current orange ones.

4. nyjunc

nyjunc Banned Hammered

5. FinsDBess15

FinsDBess15 Well-Known Member

wait its gonna have teal seats or your just happy you cant see them from a skyview

6. Dolphins7273

The outside is odd, but I like it. Navy blue seats would look better, though.

7. Dr. Phin

Dr. Phin Scout Team

I would like to see the pictures a year or two down the line when the birds get done crapping on everything...

I think that stupid roof structure is going to backfire on them.

8. Ricky_Fan34

Ricky_Fan34 Suns and Fins superfan

Junc is right... It looks stupid from the outside. Aqua seats look great though. I don't think they'll end up doing the roof part. It'd be expensive and unessecary.

9. HeartbreakKid28

HeartbreakKid28 A True Fan

Dolphins reveal possible stadium changes

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/sfe-dstadiumgallery,0,7361292.photogallery
    -the pictures
    http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...er-bowl-stadium-0108-20100107,0,1924520.story -the article
    Renderings. I'm not sure if I like the roof yet. It's not all bad though, it allows the rain in but not on the seats. And I guess the idea is to let the sunlight in. I like the way the seating looks now with some aqua some orange, in the 2nd picture they are all aqua unless they just did that for the picture. The plan is to move the seats closer to the field. The video boards are in the corner too, so they would be changing seating around since the roof would mean they couldn't have the boards where they are now. These things can always change though. By the way, the stadium is no longer Land Shark, it's back to being "Dolphin Stadium" officially. For now, at least.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Rhody Phins Fan

Rhody Phins Fan FinHeaven VIP

Yeah they seem to have about 5 times as much roof than they actually need.

11. Dolphins7273

The roof actually is necessary. That place is an oven early in the season, and Roger Goodell apparently still has a bad taste in his mouth from seeing all those corporate d-bags getting soaked the last time we hosted a Super Bowl. Also, a roof can amplify the sound for some much needed crowd noise.

12. phins_4_ever

phins_4_ever E12 FH Tailgate Gang Moderator Finheaven VIP

13. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

Getting closer to the field is never a bad thing, and has been missing since the Orange Bowl... While I'd admit that aesthetically, the rendering of the exterior is kind of odd looking, I still like it because of it's uniqueness and distinctiveness. No plain wrap there!

Most importantly it signals Steve Ross's willingness to spend money to make money instead of going through the motions but in reality just milking the status quo.

Very encouraging post, thanx

14. Can we win a SB

Can we win a SB Pro Bowler

How will they make lower bowls closer to field or will all seating arrangement be moved closer? And how? Lol sorry for the ignorance not a construction major here.

15. BARF

BARF ...FOR ME TO POOP ON

they should make it look more like a dome, that thing looks hideous

16. X-Pacolypse

X-Pacolypse A True Fan

The roof design could be better, but it pleases me to know that they'll be putting in more seats closer to the field.

17. aquaorangegreen

aquaorangegreen Rookie

The conceptuals look like the typical soccer stadiums in Europe in which the seats were covered but the field was open, and specifically like the AC Milan stadium (San Sirro sp?)

Despite common American misperception, the Cowboys didn't invent the parital roof stadium in the 1970's, European soccer stadiums had did this decades before due to harsh weather.

Either way, the best part is that the Upper Deck corner seats (the hardest to sell for games) will be gone and replaced by scoreboards. The lost seating there is made up by the extra seats closer to the field.

Basically all the newer NFL stadiums built in the last decade don't have upper deck corner seats, even in places with waiting lists for tickets that don't have trouble selling tickets like the Dolphins do.

Removing the orange seats to a darker colored seat would be good to. Even when the place is packed, the orange stands out and makes the place look empty. Its not a requirement for the seat colors to match the color of the teams uniforms (it seems like every MLB stadium has green seats and only 2-3 teams have green in their uniforms). I see games on TV all the time with stadiums with darker seats that hide the fact that the seats are empty. The Gator's Sugar Bowl game last week only had 65,000 in attendance for a place that holds 79-80,000 put the place looked jammed on the TV screen. By comparison, the Orange Bowl game had 66,000 and looked empty (seats covered up by tarps) for a place that can hold up to 78,000 for a college game.

My .02

18. MadDog 88

MadDog 88 Smoke 'em Jay Finheaven VIP

Metal? Lightning attraction. Also wouldn't hurt to cut down on the overhang of the roof.

Love the change to the seats and the video boards in each corner.

19. xxVALLOSxx

xxVALLOSxx Rookie

I agree, but the corners need to be cut.

20. R_t_Kraken

R_t_Kraken A True Fan

That roof will make it even worse. It will trap the hot air and bake the fans.

Who's brilliant idea was this?

I like the idea of moving the seats closer and painting them though. All that orange with the sun bouncing off it is hideous.

21. SabanHater

SabanHater ***** in the House!

great!!! now we're going to have to hire more expensive and talented parachuters to make it in the hole. sounds like a waste of money to me.

22. Can we win a SB

Can we win a SB Pro Bowler

Would huge fans or a air conditioner be placed strictly in some spots of the stadium to make it not so hot. I'm sure these people know what they are doing and will take the heat into consideration.

23. Daytona Fin

Daytona Fin Hot Sauce Moderator Finheaven VIP

where did our super bowl flags go?
    the design looks modern, i could live with it. id like to have a pair of the orange seats if they are replacing them. as much as ive spent in that stadium since it opened they should give me them for free.

24. callaway1234

callaway1234 Starter

My thoughts exactly.

25. aquaorangegreen

aquaorangegreen Rookie

It gets brutally hot in Texas too. Used to see early season games there with thousands of fans waving fans to cool themselves off.

Texas Stadium had a lot more air circulation in the early days when there was a space between the top of the upper level and the roof. Then in the 80's they built a ring of sykboxes around the stadium in that open space and the place became more of an oven.

26. CW_McGraw

CW_McGraw Scout Team

Looks like a tennis stadium, but I don't mind. JoeProLandPhin is absolute hell until around December.

27. XxfeensterxX

XxfeensterxX FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

They can put a huge tarp over the top for all I care, as long as the seats are being moved closer.

28. johngarry

johngarry "Mysterious" Super Donator Donator

Omg That Roof Thing Is Hideous!!!

tell me that he's kidding, please!!! C'MON MAN!!! that "thing" looks (forgive me) completely retarded! if you're gonna give the place a roof, just cover if over with something like in Minnesota or Atlanta or something. but that frikkin look re-gawd-darn-diculous!!!

ps, Boss-Ross wants local taxpayers to ante up for that mess...good luck!

29. aquaorangegreen

aquaorangegreen Rookie

I found a few pictures of AC Milan's San Siro stadium (correct spelling this time) that I mentioned in my earlier post, along with one showing typical soccer fans twith flares and flags.

Attached Files:

30. madmic21

madmic21 A True Fan

I think it looks awesome!!!

31. letsgodolphins

letsgodolphins diehard fan

pic anyone?

32. Daytona Fin

there a lot european stadiums that have same roof design. they are round or oval shaped not square.

33. Myles Fynch

Myles Fynch durka durka

34. Daytona Fin

i like it too. it would set us apart from every stadium in the u.s..

35. Daytona Fin

also , i guess they are getting rid of the giant screen they put up for the last super bowl. what a waste of money. all to appease GODell

36. JCane

JCane Administrator Finheaven VIP Donator

Come roast out in the hot South Florida sun in September and tell me if it looks hideous. Good grief am I ever thankful for this.

37. Nublar7

Nublar7 Retired Finheaven VIP

Would it really trap heat? It is glass with metal framing, but it looks like it will be open between the stadium and the outside rim. Look at the pictures there is a gap between the roof and the outside rim.

The outside picture does look funky, but the inside looks pretty cool. Also, Daytona Fin is right, looks like they are going to be getting rid of, or possibly moving the huge HD screen. The concept art shows two screens in the one endzone, so maybe the big one that is there now will remain in the other endzone.

38. greasyObnoxious

greasyObnoxious I love lamp Finheaven VIP Donator

it's actually called Guiseppe-Meazza-Stadium, and has been since 1979. San Siro is still used though.

39. Desides

Desides Perennial All-Pro

The overhead cover for the stands is nothing more than a knee-jerk reaction to the rainstorm from Super Bowl XLI. Pathetic attempt to cower to Roger Goodell's incoherent demands.

The parking lot upgrades look nice, and the seating additions and screen rearrangements are excellent. But the overhead cover for the seating needs work. Right now it looks like a poor attempt at ripping off Cowboys Stadium.

40. Oraclepz

Oraclepz Seasoned Veteran

Im not gonna lie. I went to my first Dolphins game last year and by half time i had skin burn. I should have brought one of those goofy umbrella hats. I had to settle for putting my arms inside my jersey.