MERGED: Dwight Freeney Please!! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGED: Dwight Freeney Please!!

Should Ireland look into Freeney as a free agent signing?

• Yes

Votes: 49 61.3%
  • No

Votes: 31 38.8%

• Total voters

Jimi

The World Is Yours
Reaction score
Ok I hate these "sign newly cut player threads," but now we have a chance to get a guy who fits our scheme perfectly, fills a major weakness and still can play at an elite level situationally. I cant think of a better scenario then having Freeney and Wake on the outsides with Vernon rotating in.

Thoughts?

Freeney is not the ideal fit. He's actually almost a clone of Wake, the ideal fit would be a bigger, stronger, can set the edge, can also pancake offensive lineman against the run type guy who is also fast and tall and can rush the passer with speed as well as strength when if needed, e.g. Aldon Smith in San Fran type. Frreney is fast and smallish almost a pure speed and movement pass rusher. He would be a good low risk pick up however.

Freeney is not the ideal fit. He's actually almost a clone of Wake, the ideal fit would be a bigger, stronger, can set the edge, can also pancake offensive lineman against the run type guy who is also fast and tall and can rush the passer with speed as well as strength when if needed, e.g. Aldon Smith in San Fran type. Frreney is fast and smallish almost a pure speed and movement pass rusher. He would be a good low risk pick up however.

Aldon Smith plays in a 3-4. Dwight Freeney would be coming home to a 4-3.

Not sure how i feel about him on the Fins, but Soliai and Odrick in the middle with Freeney and Wake coming off the edge COULD wreak serious havoc.

People must think we have unlimited money. spend a fortune on a DE sure, but forget a WR/CB etc

Miami's not a team that should sign players with one year, maybe two, left in the tank.

People must think we have unlimited money. spend a fortune on a DE sure, but forget a WR/CB etc

They think because you can turn off the cap in madden it can be turn off in real life.

I defintely agree, he could, you're right. I also think defensive co-ordinators sometimes prefer to have one apple and one orange however to give them more scheme flexibility, instead of two apples. Makes them harder to prepare against. A la Michael Strahan/Usi Umenyiora, Jason Taylor/Trace Armstrong, Justin Smith/Aldon Smith, or JJ Watt/Antonio Smith, those big and fast with really fast but a little smaller pairings seem to work well together and big numbers have been racked up with those combinations. Freeny's a very good apple to have though, if your gonna have two apples, especially if he's anywhere close to his old form, he's also be a great backup to Wake should anything happen to him, (hope not). I'm not sure what the latest is on where he's at with his current form. Like I said, just acquiring him is a low-risk, high-reward potential proposition.
Aldon Smith plays in a 3-4. Dwight Freeney would be coming home to a 4-3.

Not sure how i feel about him on the Fins, but Soliai and Odrick in the middle with Freeney and Wake coming off the edge COULD wreak serious havoc.

Ok I hate these "sign newly cut player threads," but now we have a chance to get a guy who fits our scheme perfectly, fills a major weakness and still can play at an elite level situationally. I cant think of a better scenario then having Freeney and Wake on the outsides with Vernon rotating in.

Thoughts?

BY ELITE LEVEL DO YOU MEAN THE 12 TACKLES HE HAD LAST SEASON OR WAS IT HIS 5 SACKS?

Freeney...14 games....5 sacks...12 tackles
Hughes 16 games...4 sacks...41 tackles
Mathis 12 games....8 sacks...33 tackles

Freeney was the third best de on his own team last season

Yet everyone is falling in love with what Freeney USE TO BE NOT WHAT HE'S BECOME

and at 38 in October he's just over the hill

Dolphins have to at least consider adding Freeney. Still only 32, not much older than Wake. I'm sure Wake wouldn't mind if the Dolphins gave Freeney a 3-4 year deal.

Re: Dwight Freeney Please!!

Thoughts?

He straight up said the team should be a 1-2 players away from Superbowl. I don't think he signs with any team that didn't make playoffs last year.

This is a pretty strong draft for excellent pass rushing prospects. One of the best will fall to us at #12. Before I'd consider a guy that used to be great I'd grab a great DE/sackmaster in the draft. It depends who falls our way. Cornerback is a big need also so that may be what we do in the first. I'd like to go offense with our second round picks. Eifert at 42 would be really fortunate. Perhaps Hopkins later in the second. In FA we have to make a splash at reciever. Wallace or Jennings but my mind is open to other options should they present themselves.

IMO Freeney and Woodson are only sub package players at this point to be brought in with the nickel defense.

Back
Top Bottom