[Merged] Fins giving Quinn a private workout | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

[Merged] Fins giving Quinn a private workout

It may cost less but the gamble is less likely to succeed. There are a lot of non-1st round QB's that pass through the draft and very few are currently starters. You aren't going to find a Tom Brady everywhere all the time in the draft. Stanton, if he does succeed, will probably need 3-5 years to groom to a decent level as a starter. Likewise for Edwards, though considering I have a strong anti-Stanford bias, I would think he'd never become anything more than a NFL Europe football backup.

Please explain. I wouldn't touch Stanton before the 3rd, and I'm curious about Edwards. I've asked for opinions about Edwards on this site, but my efforts have been about as successful as pissing in the wind.

Pee harder mate, pee harder.

As far as Quinn is concerned, no I dont want to trade for the next Eli Manning, but god yes I would like to trade for the next Peyton.
A QB will be the position that takes us to the next level and Quinn has the best shot out of all the QBs this year (and imo in recent years and the future) to be a pro bowl caliber QB alongside names like Peyton manning, Tom Brady, Carson Palmer etc.

Wouldnt do a Ditka and give away my draft, but if we could strike a reasonable deal im jumping all over it.

I agree with Quinn, i would have him battle it out, but most prefieribly back up to Daunte. Daunte wouldn't be a bad mentor to him, and he can show him more field vison, what Brady struggles with.

So yes i agree full w/ Quinn being our francise QB

i really dont understand why people think that Quinn "cant drop" to 9. everyone thought matt leinart was goin in the top 5 last year .. he went at 10. if leinart can drop to 10, then so can brady quinn. especially when you consider the amount of talent and diff. directions the top 8 teams could go

Please explain. I wouldn't touch Stanton before the 3rd, and I'm curious about Edwards. I've asked for opinions about Edwards on this site, but my efforts have been about as successful as pissing in the wind.

Edwards and Stanton are both 6'3 QB's who have pretty much sucked their college careers and are being considered solely for their physical potential. Stanton is probably a worthwhile pick at the 3rd round but because of QB inflation, finds himself in the 2nd round.

I'll try to stomach my anti-Stanford hatred, which is about as acrid as a Dolphins fan hating a Bills/Jets/Patriots player. Edwards has good size, an above average arm, and an ok decision-making mind, the kind of physical specs teams look for. He's a pretty decent defense reader and has some intangibles and leadership capabilities. Decent accuracy also and has put up a few good games. Definitely has a long way to go in terms of his development into a decent QB because he has a good amount of bad habits that may or may not have arisen from playing for a disgustingly horrible team (think Joey Harrington). Many times he either throws a terrible pass (especially when he's out of the pocket) or eats turf. True, he did have a bad OL, but even when he's not under pressure, he does make questionable throws. And he's got Joey's "happy feet" yet will still be a bit slow in getting the ball out, getting sacked, and fumbling like the 2002 Culpepper. Not to mention, the beatings he's been rightfully given (sorry, UCLA homerism there) has left him very injury prone. He has never fully finished an entire season. His body may not last long in the pros at this rate. Any team that drafts him is counting on his upside and thinks they can overcome his shortcomings and his injury liability. It's those last two that really make me pass on Edwards.

i'd love to get brady but i'm actuallty hoping we like what we see from another QB cuz Brady would probably cost us our 1st 3 picks right ? I dunno if spending all that on a QB is the best thing for this franchise. Look what the giants gave up for ELI, they could have had Rivers, Merriman, and Kaeding !!
Do you want to be saying something like that about us if a QB selected later performs as well or better than Quinn ?

No, but conversely, do you want to be saying "We had him, we FRIGGIN had him and we passed" if (probably WHEN) he outperforms all of the other QBs in the draft?

I don't, once was enough (Drew Brees).

You could say that about ANY player in this draft, the "do you want to be saying that if another (name a position) is better than (name a player we draft instead)?" Hell, What happens if we pass on a guy early and take a guy later and the early guy is a stud, the latter a bust? What happens if we take one guy over another in the 7th round, and the other becomes a better player? Happens every single year, people pick one guy and another guy they had a chance at turns out to be better, so in theory what you are applying to Brady Quinn could be to ANY player at ANY position. I for one would rather risk it for Quinn (who is already NFL-ready, think of what a year of sitting and learning behind a guy like Trent Green could do) than pass on the opportunity and find out the QB we do take doesn't work and then what? No garuntees we are in position for Brohm next year (who I don't even see as being beter than Quinn) so why pass on the opportunity to find a franchise, potentially Pro Bowl, QB?

We will never get a franchise QB if we don't finally pull the trigger on investing in a QB, and I mean more than a later round guy who never makes the team or gets sent to NFL Europe. Quinn is a risk I'm willing to take. If he busts, oh well, at least I will know we made an effort. It's not like we haven't had crappy drafts for YEARS now, so I'm willing to suffer one more (potentially, assuming we make a trade for Quinn and he busts) if the opposite end of that is we get a potential Pro Bowl franchise QB. The reward is greater than the risk for Quinn IMO.

i dono if its thinkign to deep but u think they are bringing in his WR as well so he can run drills or w/e they do together n see how quinn works wiht ppl he has been playing with? meaning for the long term when he has a WR to throw do 3 yrs of playing time ala CC or a newcomer?

Yes... Quinn is the answer to a big QB problem... but the other problem is other teams avobe miami have >QB problems... so what if he had a good workout, that do not change the draft order!!!

My impression is that we would consider a 'slight' move up to get him [like 2-3 spots] -- if'n the FO determines he is worth it .... but other than that it's back to Stanton or less ...

The FO is just doing their job, covering all options and determining true value.

It 'could' be a smoke screen as well -- but I just don't see it that way.

i really dont understand why people think that Quinn "cant drop" to 9. everyone thought matt leinart was goin in the top 5 last year .. he went at 10. if leinart can drop to 10, then so can brady quinn. especially when you consider the amount of talent and diff. directions the top 8 teams could go

Last year in the weeks leading up to the draft, there was alot of talk about Leinart dropping to be the 3rd QB to be picked and all this hype around Cutler moving up. This year it looked for a while that Quinn was going to drop, but most recent analysts on TV, radio, and the internet have Quinn going back up the draft chart as a top 4-5 pick. I wish we could get him at #9, but I just don't see any way we get him without moving up anymore. :(

o feel the same way ,, dnt csre if we give our 2 second rounders plus our first to get this boy
That would quite possibly go down as the worst move in Dolphins history. Brady Quinn is the most overrated player in this year's draft.

Why do people think that drafting a QB in the first round is any less of a risk than drafting a QB in the second or third? LOL. You can get busts in EVERY round, including first. Just look at Harrington...or Leaf...or the myriad of others chosen in the first who absolutely sucked in the NFL. Picking in the first is not a guarantee of anything.

Back
Top Bottom