Merged:Fox Sports: Second-year player spotlight for 2005/Carey and Bell | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged:Fox Sports: Second-year player spotlight for 2005/Carey and Bell

• I guess logic states you would take Hudson Houcks assessment over that of the writer. Even if Carey fails at LT it sure looks like he can be a force on the interior.... if properly motivated.
  • If lack of motivation is a concern or continues to be an issue with some players... they will not be on the roster... or in some cases in the league.
  • While I am intrigued by Bell... he is not a proven productive player by any means.
  • When the pads go on and the real "evaluations" begin we'll know more about what we have along the o-line and DB spots. If the current roster players fail to impress there are some proven vets in FA that will need jobs.

PhinDude88 said:
I dont understand on why we dont put Carey at guard and let him start there. LT has got to be the hardest OL position to play, and i dont know if he is tough enought to play it. But i guess we will have to see in TC.

Bell seems like a forgotten man around here, i would like to see him start over Tillman. If he can stay healthy the full year, then i do think that he will be a stud at FS.

I dont understand on why we dont put Carey at guard and let him start there. LT has got to be the hardest OL position to play, and i dont know if he is tough enought to play it. But i guess we will have to see in TC.

Kinda tells you what Houck thinks of Careys ability doesn't it. If Houck thinks he can play LT then thats fine by me.

Bell is entering his 3rd year in the NFL, not his second. A scout for the phins told me this guy has all the talent, he just needs to stay healthy, which he hasn't. As for Carey, this guy obviously is a mental midget right now. But this isn't rocket science, and I predict this staff will turn him around.

kingnate85 said:
I don't understand. If he has the potential to be the next Larry Allen at guard...then why don't we put him at guard and move someone else over?
My thoughts exactly. I saw Vernon as a RG this year. Personally, i will be delighted if he somehow starts at LT. Therefore we can have him and Jeno on the left side, and el cheapo's playing the right side.

Vernon at LT would be the best scenario for this team. It would give us one less major position we need to address in next years draft and enable us to possibly move McIntosh and/or StClair and free up cap space.

- Just wondering, what's Yerimiah's size?

I surely hope Carey can produce SOMEWHERE on the O-line. He cost Miami a draft pick with the questionable move up in last year's draft. I was a little skeptical about the pick then, but feel that he will be ok once this line gels. Houck should get the best out of him. I just hope Miami can find a decent LT since all of the QBs on the roster are righties and aren't exactly mobile.

colmax said:
- Just wondering, what's Yerimiah's size?
He is 6'1 - 6'2 around 200 lbs. Prototypical height, weight, and speed for a FS. If he stays healthy, he can be our FS for the next 5 years. His biggest downfall is his injury problems.

Carey has been very unimpressive for a first round offensive lineman pick.

Bell won't get his chance to truly prove himself if we sign Larry >.>

kingnate85 said:
I don't understand. If he has the potential to be the next Larry Allen at guard...then why don't we put him at guard and move someone else over?

I don't think many people agree with this assessment. At UM Carey was ok at G his senior year. Based on his play that year I didn't think he was worth a 1st rd pick. But the prior year at T he was dominating. RS cited his play at T as the reason they chose him. Houck now sees him at LT. I was surprised by that, but you pretty much have to defer to Houck's experience here over that of the writer.

Raekwon The Che said:
Carey has been very unimpressive for a first round offensive lineman pick.
:lol: So has Gallery.... whats your point?

Offensive lineman that come into the league and dominate from their rookie position are very rare. I wont go into explaining that he was brought in by Wanny and taught by Wise. We had a horrible oline coach last year who couldnt hit water if he jumped out of a boat. Robert Gallery was the top lineman taken, and he didnt crack the starting lineup last year.....

If you think that Carey, under Tony Wise, was going to emerge as a stud lineman then you my friend are on some good crack.

Raekwon The Che said:
Bell won't get his chance to truly prove himself if we sign Larry >.>

Bell has already proven himself. His main holdback is his injury concerns.

Who is Larry? :confused:

• Typically it takes 2-3 years for a solid offensive lineman to develop... there are exceptions.
  • We have arguably the best teacher in the game for the o-line and in todays NFL that is key.
Based on the best projections available, only two franchises (Cincinnati and San Diego) figure to have the same starting line in 2005. The latest lineup projections show that 10 teams in 2005 will have at least three new offensive line starters each. Only 10 teams are projected to have fewer than two changes from their 2004 lineups. ESPN

"Let's just say," Miami Dolphins first-year coach Nick Saban said, "that I was going to do just about anything I had to do to get (Houck) here. It's a (coaching) position where I always felt it was critical to have a really top guy. And the way the league is now, with the faces on your line changing so much, it's more important than ever." ESPN

Philter25 said:
Bell has already proven himself. His main holdback is his injury concerns.

Who is Larry? :confused:

• Bell is a nice prospect... he is not proven producer.

thedayafter said:
  • Bell is a nice prospect... he is not proven producer.

When bell played FS he was very good. He proved he COULD be a starter in the NFL if it wasnt for his injury concerns. His injuries are what is holding him back, not his skills.

Yeremiah is 6'1 200 and according to Mel Phillips has the quickest step for an DB he has ever seen. Bell’s biggest challenge is staying healthy and on the field, something he hasn’t been able to do in his two seasons with the team. If he can recover from his broken ankle injury look for him to compete for the FS spot unless we sign Lance Shulters which might either show Tillman is not the answer or Bell isn't at full strength or going to be counted on to start. I really liked this guy when we drafted him in 2003. We knew when we got him that he was going to be stashed away. Lets hope he can get over the injury bug!

Back
Top Bottom