Merged: /Harrington....Our future QB ?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by finfan1966, Oct 16, 2006.

1. finfan1966

finfan1966 Active Member

I have to say that even though the Fins have been losing I am finally excited about what I see from the quarterback position. Ever since Marino retired I have had to watch game after game go down the tubes from terrible quarterbacks.

Harrington looks good out there and he gets rid of the ball remarkably fast! If you look at the stats at the end of the game you can really see how well he distributes the ball. Every receiver and tight end had multiple catches.

Its too bad that Saban stuck with Culpepper for as long as he did. I think if Harrington would of been in earlier in the season we could be at least at 500 now. Saban is going to have to make a tough decision at the end of the year but the right decision is to lock up Harrington for the future. Culpepper has to go and as far as I am concerned I have seen enough of this guy on the field to see that he is not going to take the fins any where.

I think all the Culpepper supporters need to wake up. I took a lot of flack in earlier weeks when I said to put in Harrington when Culpepper was stinking up the place. Now where are all the Culpepper supporters? (hahaha)

Its clear this is Joey's team! The offense moves faster down field and is much more efficient. Ronnie is finally on track and I think its only a matter of time before this offense explodes!

2. jac3477

jac3477 Well-Known Member

The thread title alone will get lousy responses, but don't worry, a lot of people here don't have a clue as to what they're talking about. You are absolutely right in that Harrington has great potential in this system. His chemistry with the receivers seems to be much better than Culpepper's. He has made a couple of poor choices but no mre than Cpep has, and I believe this is due to lack oof playing time, these mistakes will diminish as his game time rises. It's really up to Harrington to see how this plays out, but everyone is starting to realize he should have been the starter from the beggining.

3. jonkruse

jonkruse Starter

I hate to say it, but I kind of agree with you. Not that i was in a disagreeance with the starting of Joey, i thought it was a good idea. I just don't like letting go somebody named "Daunte Culpepper". Maybe Joey is the guy. So far he looks(to me atleast) like a very stable quarterback, barring the couple of interceptions. I guess we'll see e're Saban takes us, huh?:dolphins:

4. FIN FAN IN OHIO

FIN FAN IN OHIO Well-Known Member

Joey Harrington....Our QB for the future....

I could see Joey being our starter for at least the next couple of years. Yes he has thrown a few picks but there have been a lot of dropped passes out there as well in the last two games. We should definitely give him the rest of the season to gel with the offense and see what he can do. Forget all the negativity that surrounded him in Detroit he is here now and I personally am glad to have him. I guarantee it will be fun to watch our Phins again and I think that time is right around the corner.

5. flip

flip Starter

I agree 1000000000% with you GO JOEY!!!!!!

6. p-double

p-double Starter

you are a dam fool if you think harringtonis our future QB, joey throws too many ints, the only reason we moved the ball in the 4th because the jets took it easy, these joey threads gets on my nerves, culpepper doesn't turn the ball over,

7. jacques strapp

jacques strapp Scout Team

I agree, however I think the Miami needs a WR or 2 to better compliment Harrington's talent. I also believe that Miami nees to be more aggresive with their play calling.

8. FIN FAN IN OHIO

Dude I just posted the same thing at exactly the same time you did....I totally agree with you. Watching the first few games with Daunte was just plain depressing. At least I feel we have somewhat of a chance with Joey at the helm.

9. FIN FAN IN OHIO

At least Joey doesn't get sacked 5 times a game. Yes maybe Daunte isn't 100% but that doesn't excuse him from holding the ball too long.

10. finfan1966

finfan1966 Active Member

Thats right dude, I agree with you big time. I guess great minds think a like! (hahaha) Even though Joey has thrown 4 interceptions in two games, two of those interceptions came from drop passes from our receivers. So really when you think about it - Joey has only two interceptions. Culpepper's interceptions were clearly to the other team.

I hope we don't ever see Culpepper out there again playing. Joey is the future for this team and anyone that still thinks Culpepper is better should wake up because they definitely havn't been watching the games!

11. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 FinHeaven VIP

Only one int in each game was his fault. That aint gonna kill ya

12. Brown42000

Brown42000 Perennial All-Pro

At least Harrington doesn't get sacked 7 times a game, throws an interception and fumbles 2 times a game. Harrington is far better then C-Pep right now.

13. In_Flames

In_Flames A True Fan

I wouldn't at all be opposed to holding onto Harrington and then drafting a promising young QB in the upcoming draft somewhere in the mid rounds for next season, especially if we were able to trade off Daunte for a decent draft pick. I was kind of hoping we would have done that last year and just held onto Gus for another year or so while that rook developed. At this point I could really care less who our starting QB is though, basically whoever gives us the best shot to win games is who I will support, but given Pep's contract it looks like he's going to be our guy when all is said and done regardless.

14. Brown42000

Exactly, to many people just look at the stats and say he sucks without watching any of the games.

15. Lester

Lester Can't help it. Born this way!

He threw one int this game, the other was Chambers playing hot potato.

How many turnovers did Daunte have? 3 Int-all totally horrible reads(one being the worst I had ever seen by a QB not named feelydler) and you can not forget all the fumbles. He fumbled just trying to throw a pass with nobody within miles of him.

So if you are going to call people fools for having an opinion at least come with a decent argument. Plus if we only got yards because the jets took it easy, what does that say about the buffalo and houston games. They were just taking it easy also I suppose, and that takes away about 80 percent of peps yardage and all his touchdowns.

That being said, I hope once pep is healthy they can battle it out like any other position and we start who plays better for our team.

16. SCall13

SCall13 Finheaven QB

Harrinton has thrown 4 INTs, two of which were his fault. Other than that he has played well. HE had 2 td passes dropped against the Jets.
    You say Daunte Culpepper doesn't turn the ball over. My answer to that is YOU HAVE TO THROW THE BALL DOWN FIELD to throw an INT. A huge percentage of Culpepper's passes were dump offs - high percentage throws. Harrington is at least aggressive with the ball.

17. FIN FAN IN OHIO

I am somewhat afraid that Saban does think Culpepper is the future. I just hope that Harrington can show him something in the next few weeks that will convince him to look Joey's way the rest of this season and in to next season as well. I do think Harrington will show up this Sunday against the Pack....I just hope our receivers do as well....

18. Mainge

Mainge FinHeaven VIP

:sidelol: :sidelol: :sidelol: :sidelol:

What gives you that idea? The fact that we scored 3 points in the first three quarters? Or maybe the 4 interceptions did it for you?

No wonder VIP calls this place the zoo.

19. SCall13

SCall13 Finheaven QB

Right on about the fumble thing. Culpepper averages a fumble per game for his career. YOu know how many times Joey has lost a fumble in his career? ZERO.

20. PerfectFinz72

PerfectFinz72 Pro Bowler

If he is the QB for the next couple years, fine. But he hasnt shown me that he's THAT GREAT right now (I understand his limited time running the offense). If he played out of his mind his first two starts, that would be one thing. He hasn't done that and if you're resting our hopes in the QB department the next couple of years on Harrington, we're in big trouble.

21. PerfectFinz72

PerfectFinz72 Pro Bowler

Whats his career record as a starter?

22. csabe

csabe Pro Bowler

Once C-pepp gets healthy it will be much different IMO.

23. csabe

csabe Pro Bowler

I know it's cause he's too busy panicking and throwing picks. JK :lol:

24. adamprez2003

Yeah 30 yr old QBs come back all the time from 3 ligament surgeries without losing a step and we can see how quick he is with his decision making. The best thing he has going for him is the size of his contract. That's going to be a killer for us to deal with next year

25. Brown42000

Before he was hurt last year he sucked too, I tried making excuses for him because I thought that team last year was bad but it was Daunte and he needs to learn how to play football again. FAST!!!!!

26. SCall13

SCall13 Finheaven QB

You mean what was his record with the DETROIT LIONS football TEAM?

27. jonkruse

jonkruse Starter

Doesn't sound to me like you watch the games..

28. rainmaker1313

rainmaker1313 A True Fan Donator

I think Saban has already sat in his office at 2am by himeself saying WOW, what have I done and how to I tell Daunte he is being released next year???

29. PerfectFinz72

PerfectFinz72 Pro Bowler

And if he continues to lose here in MIAMI, then whats the excuse?

30. FIN FAN IN OHIO

We have had no offensive production all year, especially with Culpepper but at least Harrington isn't holding on to the ball and getting sacked. Watching the games when Culpepper played were not exciting at all....At least with Joey in at QB I feel like we have a fighting chance.

31. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Seasoned Veteran

It's obvious looking at PAST STATISTICS that CULPEPPER would have been annointed the QB of the next 4-6 years ....

But as Chris Berman says ... THAT'S WHY THEY PLAY THE GAMES ...

JOEY is playing for HIS future with or without the PHINS ... so HE has a lot to play for.

CULPEPPER WILL be playing for HIS future with or without the PHINS either later this year, or during the offseason. It is NOT ordained as some would like to believe on this site; of course, we have more INVESTED in him -- so his loss would 'hurt' more financially.

In a PERFECT world ... both would succeed and the PHINS would be the beneficiary [draft compensation -- but most importantly good QB play] --- but as life would have it ... I doubt that happens.

I BELIEVE in the end, that HARRINGTON will prove to be a serviceable SYSTEM QB ... and that CULPEPPER will NEVER regain the mobility the helped become an elite QB; and be no better than say Steve McNair or Drew Bledsoe of today ...

32. adamprez2003

11 players on offense and an offensive coordinator calling plays makes 12 people to rank in terms of why we arent scoring more. Harrington is near the bottom of that list against the Jets with Mularkey getting top spot

33. NDS

NDS Active Member

I agree that Joey has brought some new energy to the offense. The 17 2nd half points was the most we've scored in a half all season. But it all happened in a hurry up offense with 3 different plays, not in the normal offense. Thus, we've got no reason to believe this 'success' is transferrable to the next game.

I'd like to see Joey tuck the ball and run sometimes in the hurry up offense instead of thinking only pass. Don't do this often, but in a pinch think about running for the 1st down. It would add a key element to the offense. Right now opposing teams know that Joey never ever runs with the ball, that makes the offense much more predictable.

Can Joey (or any QB) make this offense fire on all cylinders when it's not in a hurry up mode?

Maybe they work on altering the hurry up offense it make it usable the whole game. I've seen college teams do this with great success. Granted, NFL defenses are much better, but it's all about never letting their defense rest.

34. PhinsPhan

PhinsPhan Pro Bowler

What was Daunte's record with the Vikings? He is a career losing QB too. Just one difference.

Since he left the Vikings, they are 10-5. Since Harrington left the Lions they are 1-5.

35. rvicious

rvicious Starter

Thats right dude, becuase he did such a great job, for the first three quarters, when the defense was playing him honest, ah thats right he was invisible for 3 quarters, until the defense played prevent then and just then he got hot, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm? What a coincidence. But of course that was not his fault he is just a victim. Give me a break! Joey is good but not good enough. When are we going to understand that we need a guy that can take over games to be sucessful. I am tired of guys that can manage games. And dont give the Baltimore examples, those are flukes, I am tired on hoping for flukes, why cant we do it the old fashin way? A winning quaterback, solid RB and a good defense? It's about freakin time.

36. SCall13

SCall13 Finheaven QB

Well, is this team good? That answers that.

37. Brown42000

I want to see Miami come out and beat GB in all aspects of the game next week to get some positivety on this board.

38. PerfectFinz72

PerfectFinz72 Pro Bowler

Well done. I give you credit for at least doing the research. My point is, the Lions would be good awful with or without harrington. I dont care who the starting QB is, as long as he wears a Dolphins uniform then I support him. Forget the Daunte vs Joey debate.....has either shown you anything this year that would make you think this team can win with that guy as the QB?

I know I dont see it. So for those annnoiting Joey king already, maybe we should see if he can win a game before we give him a contract extension.

39. adamprez2003

In the first half he had two bad passes and one was an incomplete. Two bad plays in the first half. If you can name three go ahead, I guarantee you you wont be able to. If we get that kind of production from our QB and the rest of the offense steps up and the playcalling approaches competance then QB will be the least of our concerns

40. FIN FAN IN OHIO

And who do you suppose we start, Culpepper....There are just as many if not more reasons to start Harrington....Talk about "managing a game, that is exactly what Culpepper did the first 4 games without any success....He spent more time on the ground then he did on his feet. He holds on to the ball way too long. Trust me I want the FINS to win just as much as anybody else, but I strongly believe we have a better chance at achieving this with HARRINGTON....