Merged: Hey Boomer / Boomer on Day 1 | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Hey Boomer / Boomer on Day 1

This is "value" drafting at it's finest. Selecting Ted Ginn and targeting John BEck with their 2nd pick, with several attempts to trade up to the first round to select John BEck, was very fortunate to end up the way it did without Miami having to trade into the 1st to grab John BEck.

It seems as though it was meant to be. Mel Kiper even mentioned that Miami was very fortunate to have John Beck fall to them in the second.

I was filled with shock when Ted Ginn was picked, but with the way everything has come together... I do feel Miami has done an excellent job selecting value according to their draft board.

Boomer, I am curious to read your reply to some of these. Particularly:

1) Ted Ginn - If his value is only as a return man was the pick far below value. In other words, if Ginn is not a consistent number 1 or number 2 WR what are your thoughts on using a top 10 pick on him?

2) John Beck - Does his low delivery point concern you? Are you concerned the Dolphins are using the exception to the rule (Drew Brees) as their model?

I like the Dolphins picks after the first two. Satele and Soliai should contribute next year and the punting job should be Fields' to lose. Booker could provide some value as well on ST and 3rd downs. It will be a concern though if the Dolphins don't have a few every down starters (non Special Teams) from a draft that had 10 picks, four in the first 4 rounds, and coming off of a 6-10 season.

Overall, this draft feels like 1998 to me. Taking a return guy in the 1st (Avery vs. Ginn) some starters/contributors in rounds 2 - 4 (Mixon/Brommel vs, Satele/Soliai) and some guys who make the roster in the other rounds such as Shannon and Bundren. Mixon actually performed at a high level before going ot MInnesota. The real key to this comparison though, is that someone from this draft has to perform at a Pro Bowl level like Patrick Surtain for this draft to even be considered comparable to that one. We all hope that it is either Ginn or Beck but they don't look like that type of player. Thoughts?

Dude, I WILL get to your questions today.

Boom

Boomer, I am desperate to hear your thoughts on our entire draft. Please hurry. :D

Hey, the boards have been down and it's sleepy time for England ;) Boomer will rock this place once he wakes up (if the mods don't mind my cleverly disguised bump).

Yeah a nice draft recap by our finheaven gurus would be sweet!

BTW for Boom and CK (and maybe KB, he dont come here much it seems), gratz on dropping Ginn as a name to watch for us. I think you guys called Quinn as our pick, but just figuring out we were hot for Ginn was impressive, thats 2 in a row with the allen pick last year :)

Yeah a nice draft recap by our finheaven gurus would be sweet!

BTW for Boom and CK (and maybe KB, he dont come here much it seems), gratz on dropping Ginn as a name to watch for us. I think you guys called Quinn as our pick, but just figuring out we were hot for Ginn was impressive, thats 2 in a row with the allen pick last year :)
You could always join VIP and read there thoughts first hand.:wink:

Boomer, would welcome your analysis of the first two picks as discussed.

Bump on the original questions and I'll add another:

Regarding a rumor, did the Dolphins have Kevin Kolb rated ahead of John Beck?

From what I heard (more rumors) the Dolphins had rated Beck in front of Quinn, so I dont think they would have had Kolb rated any higher.

Isnt true according to a Mueller interview.

it's tough on you ain't it Don... I wanted him too, I was completely sold, mostly because "I" thought our staff was completely sold. In retrospect, I think we did good, it remains to be seen if we could have done better. What amazes me most is the demeaning hateful posts directed towards a guy most, including me, thought was our future. I hope he flourishes, I also hope Beck does too, but to NOT well wish Brady is in a lot of cases hypocritical given their positions pre draft.

I wanted him too, I was completely sold, mostly because "I" thought our staff was completely sold. In retrospect, I think we did good, it remains to be seen if we could have done better. What amazes me most is the demeaning hateful posts directed towards a guy most, including me, thought was our future. I hope he flourishes, I also hope Beck does too, but to NOT well wish Brady is in a lot of cases hypocritical given their positions pre draft.

I agree 100%. I find it strange how everyone is now calling Quinn a bust and hoping he fails in Cleveland. Personally, I think he'll do well but hopefully Beck and Ginn will help the Dolphins even more. Time will tell.

it's tough on you ain't it Don... I wanted him too, I was completely sold, mostly because "I" thought our staff was completely sold. In retrospect, I think we did good, it remains to be seen if we could have done better. What amazes me most is the demeaning hateful posts directed towards a guy most, including me, thought was our future. I hope he flourishes, I also hope Beck does too, but to NOT well wish Brady is in a lot of cases hypocritical given their positions pre draft.

I hope that Brady does well, no reason not to. But I'm excited about Beck none the less. Where's Boomer?

Kinda hard to select Kolb...when he's selected before you pick. So we'll never know who the Dolphins really wanted.

I think that it's pretty clear that the Dolphins preferred Beck over Kolb, from what they said of how closely they rated Quinn and Beck, no mention of Kolb. I seriously doubt that they would have tried to trade up into the first round to draft Kolb, as they did for Beck. I think that I would have taken Trent Edwards over Kolb, and definitely Beck over either one of them.

Back
Top Bottom