Merged: Is this season close to being over? / pack it up and pick up a draft pick

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Rob hoffman, Aug 12, 2003.

1. Rob hoffman

Rob hoffman Well-Known Member

Is this season close to being over?

Yes, it sounds ridiculous, but how many more injuries can we sustain before we just can't recover. Remember, we are only through one preseason game.

The fact that Eddie Moore's career might be over before it has begun just makes me sick to my stomach. Why doesn't this happen to other teams?

Unless things change drastically...137 days left in the Wannestedt regime.:(

2. Toe-Cutter

Toe-Cutter Well-Known Member

i feel you man. Right now the season doesn't look to good. But we gotta have faith in this team. I mean, if it would have been Zach out for the season then we would be in deep doodoo.

3. Rob hoffman

I appreciate that...I haven't lost faith

and I will always support my Dolphins proudly, but I am getting discouraged...this freaking happens every year...

and there is never a suitable explanation why.

4. Toe-Cutter

yea and we've only played one pre-seasoner right.....damn this doesn't look good. Yes i'm discouraged, not just by Moore, but alot of other things too

5. DrAstroZoom

DrAstroZoom Bon vivant

Re: Is this season close to being over?

I understand what you're saying, but of all the things you could possibly pin on Wanny, injuries aren't his fault.

6. MissMeth

MissMeth Miss July

Typical Dolfans.. get hyped up about the team not doing so well before the season begins. You people are taking this way harder than you need to. First off, Moores career isnt OVER.. just his season. Second, 85% of the injuries that are current will be fine but the season opener. Better they get injured now than during the season. Dolfans never seem to have the faith in this team. Just stand by your "team", have faith that everything will be fine and it will. You people are making me sick to my stomach with the negativity. BE POSITIVE!!

7. Toe-Cutter

we haven't lost faith man, we're just discouraged by the injuries...like i said, if it would have been Zach out for the season then we panick.

8. PhinPhreak

PhinPhreak Perennial All-Pro

While I do agree with you that the season isn't over, it is very discouraging going through this year after year. It just seems that if the Fins are ever to make it to the SB they will be taking the hard road.

But again, in no way is the season over at this point.

9. fairbanksb

fairbanksb Panhandler

Amen and Amen.. Call 1-800-WAAH or something. Oh, why me. Could be a lot, lot worse. Look at Green Bay, they lost Gilbert Brown and Bryant Westbrook. Have you heard of the suicide rate going up in Green Bay? Take a deep breadth and wait at least until real game 3 or 4 before you start jumping off bridges.

10. Pink_Dove

Pink_Dove Animus facit nobilem

I don't think there is one dolfan who isn't discouraged...
    Players like Corey Jenkins, Jamar Fletcher, Wade Smith, Billy Yates etc.. are going to need to learn fast...
    Other seasoned veterans are going to have to step up as well...

Hey look at the bright side ,at least, it's an early season collapse ;)

11. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Premium Member

Thats right MissMeth. Buck up chaps. My god I just sounded horribly english. Anyway. Lets put this into perspective.

For the Houston opener we are set to be missing 3 players.

1. Eddie Moore
    2. Ed Perry
    3. David Bowens

None of them are even starters! We had hoped Eddie would challenge Morlon for the start but as camp progressed it was obvious that he was not going to.

Eddie Moore's career is NOT over. Duce Staley recovered nicely from the same injury, as did linebacker STALWORT/WRECKINGBALL Keith Brookings. And basically, the treatment for this injury is more advanced now than I believe it was even for Duce when he had it. This isn't an Errict Rhett situation, trust me.

Everything else is just a little knick or scrape...these guys will all be back by the opener. We don't KNOW that Dixon will be out for the opener yet. He was feelin a little problem with his ankle so he had surgery to repair it precisely so that he COULD make a better contribution this season rather than suffer through like he's done in the past. And the guys that are out for most of the preseason, veteran guys who really don't need a whole lot of work to be ready.

Come cryin to me if a starter tears his ACL.

12. PhinPhreak

PhinPhreak Perennial All-Pro

I agree 100%

:roflmao:

13. ckparrothead

Its gettin a little pessimistic on the board today. Shoulda seen it comin. I might have to stay away for a bit til I feel a few more positive vibes flowin.

14. PhinPhan1227

PhinPhan1227 Why is there a watermelon there?

Actually Mark Dixon and Patrick Surtain have also been listed as doubtful for the opener. Any more injuries and we might be this years Dallas Cowboys.

15. ckparrothead

Since when is Surtain listed as doubtful for the opener?

16. iceblizzard69

iceblizzard69 A True Fan

The season ISN'T over! We do have way too many injuries, but how many of the guys out for the season are starters? None. I think losing Ed Perry could be a problem, but if the new guy comes in and isn't Trey Junkin we will be ok.

17. MissMeth

MissMeth Miss July

MY point exactly...

18. Rob hoffman

Being positive is nice...

but sugarcoating something isn't.

I started this thread to get an idea as to where Dolphin fans are at. Heck, I am not ready to pack it in...heck I never will be...but if you are not discouraged by what has happened so far...then you really aren't paying attention.

Astro-Zoom...believe me I am not saying that the injuries are Wannestedt's fault...but let's face it...its AFC Championship at the least or bust...and right now that isn't looking good. Could things change...God, I certainly hope so...but right now the best news has come from our back up punter.

As for thinking that losing Eddie Moore and Eddie Perry won't have a significant impact...puhlease...Moore needed to beat out Morlon Greenwood and Perry, as much as it bothered me, was integral as a long snapper. I too have heard that Dixon's injury will not enable him to be back for the opener.

19. PhinPhan1227

PhinPhan1227 Why is there a watermelon there?

940 this morning was reporting that his knee was a little worse than was reprted and that Fletcher was probable to start for the Texans game.

20. rhadaddy

rhadaddy Who's your daddy?

Surtain said he'll likely return for the first game...

here's the link

Not only this board, but even ESPN is depressing watching coverage on the dolphins with the injuries.

We lost 2 players for the season, one until november. I know we only played one pre season game, which is scary, but we played against a very aggressive Bucs team.

Before Eddie Moore went down, we had no solid veteran depth at LB.. so we're pretty much in the same boat.

Ed Perry is a tough loss, but it happened when we still have 3 weeks to get The new guy up to speed. (sorry I forgot his name)

Bowens, we knew about, but we still have Jay Williams, who looked good last week against the Bucs. I think he had a sack.

Mark Dixon, we all know is an injury waiting to happen. So it should be no suprise, that he's injured. Let's just hope Wade becomes the steal of the draft.

And don't listen to Rosehaus, casue he loves to talk out of his a$$
    All the rest of the injuries, will be clear for the season opener.

21. DrAstroZoom

DrAstroZoom Bon vivant

Hoff, I know you weren't blaming Wanny, and I understand your reasoning. It would just be a shame if the one thing totally out of his control was his undoing.

22. Rob hoffman

True...very true Zoom...

although he kind of had his shot last year...
    most coaches get a small window of opportunity...
    its a real tough profession at this level...

I get the feeling that Wannestedt is a heck of a nice guy...
    but unfortunately that doesn't win Superbowls...

23. DrAstroZoom

DrAstroZoom Bon vivant

I have several thoughts on this week of woe ... I'm going to try and put together a column in the next day or two. Watch for it.

24. ohall

ohall A Miami Dolphins fan, not a players fan.

Re: Is this season close to being over?

Cheer up, the sky is still up there. :D

Oliver...

25. zonk39

zonk39 Bills, Jets, Pats SUCK!!!

I posted this on a other thread. It applies here to...

The Sky is falling! The Sky is falling! Get a grip People.

We are in week 1 of the preseason. The only loss we have had is losing Moore for the year. All other injuries are 2-4 weeks max.

I say let W. Smith have his run in the PRESEASON. This will give him playing time against Quality DE. Hopefully He'll do a good job and if not bring in a Vet at LT. I think its a good move not to bring in a Vet right away. Hold Wades feet to the fire and see what happens. Building this kids confidence will pay more divideds in the end.

We are still the team to beat in the AFC. Stop with the Doom and Gloom!

26. xiidaen

xiidaen FinHeaven.com Evangelist

Looking forward to it! Someone needs to keep things in perspective around here, and you've shown yourself to be a remarkably intelligent and insightful person (read: someone I agree with a lot).

27. MissMeth

MissMeth Miss July

Hoff.. i am more than paying attention. I just dont get overexcited about preason injuries when MOST of them will be back for the season opener. Yes i agree Perry and Moore are a significant loss.. but Greenwood was not BAD last year and has picked up the speed. Oh and lets not forget Corey Jenkins who has busting his butt and could pick up the slack for Moore. Perry on the other hand is a huge problem and hopefully this guy we signed will be ok. I just really dont think the rest of the injuries other than Dixon are a huge problem. LT is the only SEVERE problem because we dont have a proven back up. But i really dont see any of these injures haunting us in the regular season.. and lets face it, its regular season that matters.

28. XoPhinsoX

XoPhinsoX No More Injuries, Please ;).

Wow, this is getting over dramatized here..

I would imagine thinking the season was over if RW or someone went down (GOD FORBID), but our 2nd round pick (who probably wasn't going to beat out Greenwood anyway) is out for the year. Hurts? Yeah. Drastic? No.

Like zonk said..the rest of the injuries are only a few weeks (and we're still in preseason fellas). If Surtain and (Dixon?) aren't feeling 100% when Houston rolls around..I say let em sit. Madison can handle Andre Johnson..and how Fletcher is looking I'm confident he'll do well if they need him to. Anyway, all in all..it still sucks either way.

29. dolfan4good

dolfan4good Section 451 Row 10 Seats 14-15

The Dixon injury needs to be addressed with a proven vet. Dixon WILL get hurt again sometime in the regular season and Wade has yet to prove that he has the strength to handle the position.

30. Rob hoffman

Zoom look forward to your column...

as for testing Wade Smith in the preseason...hmm...ok...
    but I'd feel a little more comfortable about Fielder's health if Dixon was going against Hugh Douglas, instead of light rookie.

31. 3P

3P I believe I can fly!

Lets see....

I must admit, I reeling from all the injuries... I was doom and gloom for a while. I got over it. I hope you guys do too. At first everything seemed to be falling apart, and while we don't want anyone to be out for the season... it happens. As others have said... lets have a look at who is out:

Perry -- No denying it... this one sucks! No backup for him... but on the bright side, this happened at the perfect time... allowing us to get a replacement and test him out in the PS games. Not too worried... unless the new guy tanks.

Moore -- I would also like to have had him for the season... you always want your first pick of the draft to be able to be out there, but lets look at the reality of what Eddie was to the organization... From what I can tell, he was a project draftee... he was drafted for depth now, as well as ST play... and for situational rotations (he was a good coverage LB in college). Our (the fans) dislike for Greenwood has translated into us handing Eddie the starter job, when in reality he hasn't done anything to earn it. As unspectacular as Greenwood may seem, I don't recall hearing anything overly positive about Moore in TC... maybe the occasional he's doing alright. What I did hear, is about this fellah Corey Jenkins... I'm excited now that he's got a chance at being the #2 guy... and hell maybe even starting. Lets face it, we heard a whole heck of a lot more positive about Jenkins than we did Moore! Moore's situation isn't all that bad either, he'll sit and study film... watch games from the sideline, and condition to get into excellent football shape for next year. Pretty much the same as I was expecting him to do this year, minus the ST play. Overall, I'd say we at least break even... maybe even gain something as Jenkins will get some experience and with Moore and Jenkins next year... maybe Greenwood will hit the street?

Dixon -- I am probably most gloomy and doomy about this one... as well as hopeful at the same time :) I know that's tuff to comprehend, so let me try and explain this a little. We (in my opinion... I dont think that a stress fracture should be rushed) loose our starter for a few regular season games... and have to put in a rookie instead. On the surface, I'd say that is a less than ideal situation... however I have EXTREME faith in our FO... look at the gems they've found over the last 6-8 years... just about EVERY stud I can think of on our defense was aquired around the mid-rounds... I believe that one heck of a starting LT can still be gotten in the third round... and that if one does slip that far, our FO would be the one to find him. On top of this, the kid is touted as being sharp as a tack, and highly motivated. That, IMHO is a dangerous combination... that's the stuff you just can't get after the fact. Sure, he may be a little light... but you'd be amazed with technology these days how quickly that can change. And it's not like he's unmotivated to change that either... he's all heart remember, and that IMO is an upgrade over someone who was thinking of retiring in the offseason. My hope is that this kid shows that he is the man, and they decide to move Dixon back to LG when he recovers. That could be quite the line... if he pans out. (which I have confidence he will).

Sorry for the rantish format, but I don't have time to pretty it up for you right now. All in all, I completely understand all of the negative feelings on this board, but I think if you concentrate on the negatives too much... you easily miss the great upside that some of these situations have. A lot of you seemed rather happy when OG got injured because of the opportunity that it gave the younger guys... I see this as a similar situation... only with more popular players.

32. MissMeth

MissMeth Miss July

i said it too... actually i was the first one to say anything... how come i didnt get an recognition :cry:

Just kidding.. but thank you that is all i was trying to say.

33. Chisel Monkey

Chisel Monkey See Nick Run,Run Nick Run

WOW !!!!

Don't hurt your ankles jumping off the band wagon. We haven't even played a regular season game and your taking the gas pipe-What a Die Hard Fan!

34. zonk39

zonk39 Bills, Jets, Pats SUCK!!!

Many Props to Miss Meth. You are the Queen of Finheaven.:clap:

All hail the Queen :missmeth:.:hail::hail:

You Rock.:rocker:

35. MissMeth

MissMeth Miss July

:lolcry: :D :D :nana: :chuckle: :bravo:

36. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Perennial All-Pro

Sweet Christmas, people. What in the hell is wrong with some of you? We're going to miss maybe one or two starters for the first game(Pretty much an extra preseason game). Boohoo. I'd rather this happen now then December. You guys act like it's Ricky or something.

We've got a guy who is depth and special teams in Moore.

We've got a guy who is special teams in Bowens. I dont even count his rotational impact, because it was what, one and a half sacks? Oooh. I could pretend to be worried just a little bit if it was actually one of our *good* rotational players like Jay Williams or Rob Burnett.

As for Dixon, this worries me. But Dixon missed time last year too, and he's getting up there.

Surtain? I dont think it'll be a big deal if he has to sit out week one. All he'll miss is maybe some stat-padding interceptions. Are you really afraid of the Texans offense?

37. Hellion

Hellion She can rub my Baltars!

1st I'm not really worried about the current injuries, let me say that right off the bat.
    2nd I have heard some comments on this thread and on this board that bug me a little. Like,
    "at least the injuries happen during camp or preseason"
    "well it's a good thing they happened early and not during the season"
    "it's best they get the injury bug out of the way now"
    " hey at least it's not the starters"

I'll start with the injury comments, no injuries are good, no matter when they happen because some injuries can nag a player all year. Players are not limited to how many injuries they can have during a season, so any injuries early bother me, so getting them out of the way early makes no sense at all.
    Just because Dixon has a preseason injury and is ready for the opener dosen't mean he's good to go for the rest of the year. infact the injury bugs me because it may have lingering affects or create another injury.

As far as the the players "not being starters" goes, they may not be starters, but they don't just stand and watch the game either, these are the guys that give the starters a rest during the game, or may come in for a picticular play due to their athletic abilities their starter may not have, such as pass rushing ability or coverage abilities. Also lets not over look their place on the special team squads.
    So yes they're not the starters but they play a role in the TEAM as a whole and can make a difference in a game.
    I get a kick out of people who complain about SP teams but never worry about injuries to 2nd and 3rd string players.

Now I'm generalizing here, it's not just posters on this board or thread nor is it these specific players i'm talking about (except Dixon).

The season is not over by any stretch of the imagination, I still have very high hopes for this team.

38. Rob hoffman

No one is jumping off any bandwagon...

but we are also not going blindly into the wind saying.."Yippee, everything is great...we lost a couple of players, so what...after all we will still go to the Superbowl, even if we lose 2 players for the season ever game...blah, blah, blah."

Some of us are tired of losing the following players over the last few years to season-ending injuries or at least missing significant time:

Yatil Green
    Larry Shannon
    Albrt Johnson
    Eddie Moore
    Eddie Perry
    Marcus Spriggs
    Brent Smith
    Davern Williams
    David Bowens
    Mark Dixon
    Daryl Gardener
    Zach Thomas
    Oronde Gadsden
    Jay Fiedler
    Tim Bowens
    Jason Taylor
    Richmond Webb
    Rob Konrad
    Chris Chambers
    Jaime Nails
    Sam Madison
    Patrick Surtain
    Morlon Greenwood
    Shawn Wooden
    Rob Burnett
    O.J. McDuffie...

39. Rob hoffman

Great post Hellion...

people here don't realize that if the player hurt is not a name...it still matters. People forget that Zach Thomas after losing against New England said "Our depth isn't good enough"...

40. DrAstroZoom

DrAstroZoom Bon vivant

So, Hoff ... would that be the (wait for it)

"Dolphins Hall of Lame"?

41. MissMeth

MissMeth Miss July

No one is asking you to not be worried.. but i think you are WAY to negaitive for your own good. Im not being blind when im trying to be positive. I know whats happend and im worried too but im not going to start saying the season is over! I just think you need to stop being so depressing and start looking at the positives.

42. Rob hoffman

People also don't realize that injuries

tend to linger...that all of sudden a player doesn't come back from a stress fracture in his ankle and feel as good as new.

See Dixon, Mark

43. Rob hoffman

Zoom...very nice...

Meth...where exactly is the positive?

Tick Tock
    Tick Tock

I'm waiting...

Look, I will be the first one to call something good when I see it.
    If you want to stretch a bit, you could say that the play of the young receivers is a positive sign. Tolver looks like the real deal for example, but what else should we talk about to make us all warm and fuzzy.

44. Rob hoffman

Also, Meth I just asked the question...

I am still excited and waiting for the season as well...heck I live in Pennsylvania and I fly down just for my beloved Dolphins...I'm just a lot less encouraged then I was at this time last week....and nothing in the last several years would lead us to believe that this injury curse will stop.

Zoom can vouch...I am leaving a lot of names off that list...that was off the top of my head.

45. gottahavefootba

gottahavefootba The Predator

Well Fiedler is something to be excited about! from what I hear he is playing great! hopefully he can stay healthy.

One thing I really hate is that stupid infield. why can't the marlins go get thier own stadium? how many injuries do we have to see? It is not good especially with this weather to play on that. running full speed on grass, concentrating down field and then stepping in mud out of no where is just a reciepe for disaster.
    I just hope the marlins don't make the playoffs this year so we don't have to deal with it any longer then need be.

46. Hellion

Hellion She can rub my Baltars!

Careful Rob, MissMeth is trying to bring you over to the bright side! :saberfigh
    :assimilat
    :jk: Meth

I think because of the past few years when injuries have occurred and hurt the season that when injuries happen now two camps emerge. The pessimists and the optimistics, I think some people are too far to one side, Myself I'm a fence rider I tend to look at both sides of the issue and base my feelings on the facts presented infront of me, without speculating. In this case I'm not too worried about the current injuries and I'll wait before letting doom and gloom OR over confidence set in.

47. MarinoFan

MarinoFan Ralph Wilson after this season

GUYS, CHILL. We'll be fine. Have confidence.

48. minus

minus Perennial All-Pro

OMG SEASON IS OVER !!!!!!!!!

Why bother playing all regular season? Just forfeit!!!

:rolleyes:

49. MissMeth

MissMeth Miss July

There are many positives... Fielder, Ricky, Taylor, Thomas, Tolver, Simmons, Jenkins, Banks, Nails is back, Henry, Madison (who is having his best camp ever according to Dave), Hendricks (who's been great on special teams), Seau (who still has a lot to learn but is very vocal), Battaglia is back (although not the best but still a good backup), Griese (see Battaglia), Rosenfelds, Marion, oh and lets not forget... THOMPSON!...
    We have many positives.. its a positive that besides LT our offense is looking pretty good. Its a positive that we can still stuff the run like no other. Its a positive that Madison, Freeman, Marion, Knight, Fletcher and Buckley are still great to have that can defend the pass pretty darn well with or without Surtain. You just have to think about the positives and be happy about them instead of always focusing on the negative and letting them bring you down.

Surtain, Konrad, and (maybe) Dixon should all be back for the 1st or 2nd week.. which is ANOTHER positive.

Look im not trying to argue with you here although i am.. i just am so sick of coming on the board the past few days and only seeing negative threads with people thinking the worst of this team and our season. The season hasnt even begun!! Everyone needs to relax and let the preseason play itself out.

50. M-REAL

M-REAL "Another Battle, for the AFC East Title"

WOW, I read all these posts and sides are divided! Has anyone ever considered the option that some of the injuries could be a good thing instead of bad? I see it like this, if another player has to step up and fill someone else's shoes, they know that they have to play hard to keep this team's dreams alive heading into the regular season. Right? Right, well you never know what new star may emerge and make ya say "Damn, I'm glad he's in there making big plays." The point is never give up on your team, no matter what happens cause you never what positive thing can come of it.