Merged: Is this season close to being over? / pack it up and pick up a draft pick | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Is this season close to being over? / pack it up and pick up a draft pick

Lets see....

I must admit, I reeling from all the injuries... I was doom and gloom for a while. I got over it. I hope you guys do too. At first everything seemed to be falling apart, and while we don't want anyone to be out for the season... it happens. As others have said... lets have a look at who is out:

Perry -- No denying it... this one sucks! No backup for him... but on the bright side, this happened at the perfect time... allowing us to get a replacement and test him out in the PS games. Not too worried... unless the new guy tanks.

Moore -- I would also like to have had him for the season... you always want your first pick of the draft to be able to be out there, but lets look at the reality of what Eddie was to the organization... From what I can tell, he was a project draftee... he was drafted for depth now, as well as ST play... and for situational rotations (he was a good coverage LB in college). Our (the fans) dislike for Greenwood has translated into us handing Eddie the starter job, when in reality he hasn't done anything to earn it. As unspectacular as Greenwood may seem, I don't recall hearing anything overly positive about Moore in TC... maybe the occasional he's doing alright. What I did hear, is about this fellah Corey Jenkins... I'm excited now that he's got a chance at being the #2 guy... and hell maybe even starting. Lets face it, we heard a whole heck of a lot more positive about Jenkins than we did Moore! Moore's situation isn't all that bad either, he'll sit and study film... watch games from the sideline, and condition to get into excellent football shape for next year. Pretty much the same as I was expecting him to do this year, minus the ST play. Overall, I'd say we at least break even... maybe even gain something as Jenkins will get some experience and with Moore and Jenkins next year... maybe Greenwood will hit the street?

Dixon -- I am probably most gloomy and doomy about this one... as well as hopeful at the same time :) I know that's tuff to comprehend, so let me try and explain this a little. We (in my opinion... I dont think that a stress fracture should be rushed) loose our starter for a few regular season games... and have to put in a rookie instead. On the surface, I'd say that is a less than ideal situation... however I have EXTREME faith in our FO... look at the gems they've found over the last 6-8 years... just about EVERY stud I can think of on our defense was aquired around the mid-rounds... I believe that one heck of a starting LT can still be gotten in the third round... and that if one does slip that far, our FO would be the one to find him. On top of this, the kid is touted as being sharp as a tack, and highly motivated. That, IMHO is a dangerous combination... that's the stuff you just can't get after the fact. Sure, he may be a little light... but you'd be amazed with technology these days how quickly that can change. And it's not like he's unmotivated to change that either... he's all heart remember, and that IMO is an upgrade over someone who was thinking of retiring in the offseason. My hope is that this kid shows that he is the man, and they decide to move Dixon back to LG when he recovers. That could be quite the line... if he pans out. (which I have confidence he will).

Sorry for the rantish format, but I don't have time to pretty it up for you right now. All in all, I completely understand all of the negative feelings on this board, but I think if you concentrate on the negatives too much... you easily miss the great upside that some of these situations have. A lot of you seemed rather happy when OG got injured because of the opportunity that it gave the younger guys... I see this as a similar situation... only with more popular players.

Originally posted by XoPhinsoX

Like zonk said..the rest of the injuries are only a few weeks (and we're still in preseason fellas). If Surtain and (Dixon?) aren't feeling 100% when Houston rolls around..I say let em sit. Madison can handle Andre Johnson..and how Fletcher is looking I'm confident he'll do well if they need him to. Anyway, all in all..it still sucks either way.

i said it too... actually i was the first one to say anything... how come i didnt get an recognition :cry:

Just kidding.. but thank you that is all i was trying to say.

WOW !!!!

Don't hurt your ankles jumping off the band wagon. We haven't even played a regular season game and your taking the gas pipe-What a Die Hard Fan!

Many Props to Miss Meth. You are the Queen of Finheaven.:clap:

All hail the Queen :missmeth:.:hail::hail:

You Rock.:rocker:

Sweet Christmas, people. What in the hell is wrong with some of you? We're going to miss maybe one or two starters for the first game(Pretty much an extra preseason game). Boohoo. I'd rather this happen now then December. You guys act like it's Ricky or something.

We've got a guy who is depth and special teams in Moore.

We've got a guy who is special teams in Bowens. I dont even count his rotational impact, because it was what, one and a half sacks? Oooh. I could pretend to be worried just a little bit if it was actually one of our *good* rotational players like Jay Williams or Rob Burnett.

As for Dixon, this worries me. But Dixon missed time last year too, and he's getting up there.

Surtain? I dont think it'll be a big deal if he has to sit out week one. All he'll miss is maybe some stat-padding interceptions. Are you really afraid of the Texans offense?

1st I'm not really worried about the current injuries, let me say that right off the bat.
2nd I have heard some comments on this thread and on this board that bug me a little. Like,
"at least the injuries happen during camp or preseason"
"well it's a good thing they happened early and not during the season"
"it's best they get the injury bug out of the way now"
" hey at least it's not the starters"

I'll start with the injury comments, no injuries are good, no matter when they happen because some injuries can nag a player all year. Players are not limited to how many injuries they can have during a season, so any injuries early bother me, so getting them out of the way early makes no sense at all.
Just because Dixon has a preseason injury and is ready for the opener dosen't mean he's good to go for the rest of the year. infact the injury bugs me because it may have lingering affects or create another injury.

As far as the the players "not being starters" goes, they may not be starters, but they don't just stand and watch the game either, these are the guys that give the starters a rest during the game, or may come in for a picticular play due to their athletic abilities their starter may not have, such as pass rushing ability or coverage abilities. Also lets not over look their place on the special team squads.
So yes they're not the starters but they play a role in the TEAM as a whole and can make a difference in a game.
I get a kick out of people who complain about SP teams but never worry about injuries to 2nd and 3rd string players.

Now I'm generalizing here, it's not just posters on this board or thread nor is it these specific players i'm talking about (except Dixon).

The season is not over by any stretch of the imagination, I still have very high hopes for this team.

No one is jumping off any bandwagon...

but we are also not going blindly into the wind saying.."Yippee, everything is great...we lost a couple of players, so what...after all we will still go to the Superbowl, even if we lose 2 players for the season ever game...blah, blah, blah."

Some of us are tired of losing the following players over the last few years to season-ending injuries or at least missing significant time:

Yatil Green
Larry Shannon
Albrt Johnson
Eddie Moore
Eddie Perry
Marcus Spriggs
Brent Smith
Davern Williams
David Bowens
Mark Dixon
Daryl Gardener
Zach Thomas
Oronde Gadsden
Jay Fiedler
Tim Bowens
Jason Taylor
Richmond Webb
Rob Konrad
Chris Chambers
Jaime Nails
Sam Madison
Patrick Surtain
Morlon Greenwood
Shawn Wooden
Rob Burnett
O.J. McDuffie...

Great post Hellion...

people here don't realize that if the player hurt is not a name...it still matters. People forget that Zach Thomas after losing against New England said "Our depth isn't good enough"...

No one is asking you to not be worried.. but i think you are WAY to negaitive for your own good. Im not being blind when im trying to be positive. I know whats happend and im worried too but im not going to start saying the season is over! I just think you need to stop being so depressing and start looking at the positives.

People also don't realize that injuries

tend to linger...that all of sudden a player doesn't come back from a stress fracture in his ankle and feel as good as new.

See Dixon, Mark

Zoom...very nice...

Meth...where exactly is the positive?

Tick Tock
Tick Tock

I'm waiting...

Look, I will be the first one to call something good when I see it.
If you want to stretch a bit, you could say that the play of the young receivers is a positive sign. Tolver looks like the real deal for example, but what else should we talk about to make us all warm and fuzzy.

Also, Meth I just asked the question...

I am still excited and waiting for the season as well...heck I live in Pennsylvania and I fly down just for my beloved Dolphins...I'm just a lot less encouraged then I was at this time last week....and nothing in the last several years would lead us to believe that this injury curse will stop.

Zoom can vouch...I am leaving a lot of names off that list...that was off the top of my head.

Well Fiedler is something to be excited about! from what I hear he is playing great! hopefully he can stay healthy.

One thing I really hate is that stupid infield. why can't the marlins go get thier own stadium? how many injuries do we have to see? It is not good especially with this weather to play on that. running full speed on grass, concentrating down field and then stepping in mud out of no where is just a reciepe for disaster.
I just hope the marlins don't make the playoffs this year so we don't have to deal with it any longer then need be.

Back
Top Bottom