Votes: 17 26.6%

Votes: 35 54.7%

Votes: 4 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
SCall13 said:
Edit: Also have you thought that maybe he stands out because the QB crop is small. IT isn't like there are many. You have Young, Leinhart, Cutler. There aren't many QBs for the media to hype. So maybe his standing out has as much to do with the media's infatuation with QBs as much as it does his actual ability.

hey, your the one that brought up the point that QBs in that situation, that usually excel in the NFL, standout in Cutlers situation.

But good college quarterbacks, the type who excel in the NFL, really standout in spite of those things

SCall13 said:
I'm all for drafting a "franchise QB". But I hope, and don't think, Saban will reach for a QB with so many needs and pretty strong draft coming up. Cutler would be a nice pick if we could get him in round 2, but it looks like someone desperate may grab Cutler earlier than he should go. The reason I think we should be wary of him is because of his relatively low completion percentage and his unimpressive TD to INT ratio. I realize he hasn't been on the best of teams and he has played some stiff competition. But good college quarterbacks, the type who excel in the NFL, really standout in spite of those things. I know stats aren't everything. But those two are the most important QB stats, IMO: Comp. % and TD/INT ratio. Just a thought.

Agreed, plus, there are so many other good players at DB and OL that would be less of a risk and would probably contribute immediately. My prediction stays...go for a solid OL...there are quite a few excellent ones coming out...the kid from LSU would be my pick.

I'm waiting to see Cutler at the Senior Bowl before I make any serious judgements. Like what "I" think matters anyway to Saban and co ... :sidelol:

The one thing that does concern me about Cutler becoming a Dolphin is the horrible game he played against LSU this season. And you know Saban was following LSU ...

shouright said:
I think this is the year to go O line and really help bring out the best in the skilled position players on offense. The tackles are so deep this year, and it's a relatively low-risk position to draft in the 1st. And I think Cutler will be long gone anyway. If Quinn were coming out it might be a different story. Marcus McNeill is a guy I really like, which would give us a line like this:

LT -- Carey
LG -- James
C -- Hadnot
LG -- Fonoti (FA signing)
RT -- McNeill

That's a very similar O line to the one Linehan had in Minnesota when he had the #1 ranked offense in the league in 2003. Every single player on this line would be a roadgrader, and the size of the linemen would give our QB all day to make the vertical part of the offense work like it should. Throw a free agent H-back like Brandon Manumaleuna in there (6'2" 288) and you really have something. McMichael would be our receiving TE and Manumaleuna would be our blocking TE.

This is our shot to move from a middle-of-the-pack O line to a very dominant one in only one offseason.

Carey struggled at LT...not sure if I would put him there...McNeill would be an excellent pickup, but I would give him a shot at LT...another stud is Whitsworth from LSU. Quite a few to pick from.

Would you have said this back when Brady was in college ? Easy to say now after his success....its all a crap shoot.

I don't know enough about Cutler to feel qualified to comment.... but I will say that I have always thought that the surest way to go wrong in drafting a qb early is to look at size, delivery and arm strength over accuracy (including interception ratios), leadership and brains.

You are right that every QB pick is a gamble... but I would always gamble on the smart, accurate, intangibles guys over the perfect-physical-speciman throw the ball a mile guys.

Just as a rule, mind you. Nothing wrong with guys who have all of it.

Again, I am not saying any of this applies to Cutler. But if he is inaccurate and throws a lot of picks... that would be a very valid concern.

Culter has his inconsistancies with his accuracy, but thats different from what some of you are saying him being inaccurate. He is accurate. I dunno about him throwing a ton of picks either.

nopony said:
I don't know enough about Cutler to feel qualified to comment.... but I will say that I have always thought that the surest way to go wrong in drafting a qb early is to look at size, delivery and arm strength over accuracy (including interception ratios), leadership and brains.

You are right that every QB pick is a gamble... but I would always gamble on the smart, accurate, intangibles guys over the perfect-physical-speciman throw the ball a mile guys.

Just as a rule, mind you. Nothing wrong with guys who have all of it.

Again, I am not saying any of this applies to Cutler. But if he is inaccurate and throws a lot of picks... that would be a very valid concern.

I don't know that much about Cutler either...All I am saying is that this guy is not the Marquee QB that the other 3 QBs are. With so many other needs, the Fins should not take a chance with a pretty good pick (# 16) on someone who still may be 1-2 years away. Instead, build up the other positions of need with the best player available, and, there are lots of OL and DB's, plus a couple of nice LB's (Greenway could be available). Lessen the risk of the pick.

Nappy Roots said:
Culter has his inconsistancies with his accuracy, but thats different from what some of you are saying him being inaccurate. He is accurate. I dunno about him throwing a ton of picks either.
Didn't he throw 21 TDs and 9 INTs this year in more than 400 attemps? Not a bad pick ratio if that's the case.

DolfanTom said:
Didn't he throw 21 TDs and 9 INTs this year in more than 400 attemps? Not a bad pick ratio if that's the case.

i dont know if thats the case. i know he threw 21 TDs, dont know how many picks. but if so, 9 INTs in over 400 attempts on a bad football team isnt bad at all.

SCall13 said:
I'm all for drafting a "franchise QB". But I hope, and don't think, Saban will reach for a QB with so many needs and pretty strong draft coming up. Cutler would be a nice pick if we could get him in round 2, but it looks like someone desperate may grab Cutler earlier than he should go. The reason I think we should be wary of him is because of his relatively low completion percentage and his unimpressive TD to INT ratio. I realize he hasn't been on the best of teams and he has played some stiff competition. But good college quarterbacks, the type who excel in the NFL, really standout in spite of those things. I know stats aren't everything. But those two are the most important QB stats, IMO: Comp. % and TD/INT ratio. Just a thought.

Most of the big time names that will be drafted have most of the physical skills that you're talking about. Stats don't always tell the story tho...Remember Ryan Leaf, Akili Smith ?? Great stats, lousy pro...at any rate, it's the intangibles that matter to me. That is why Brady was drafted...he was so-so on the physical skills, but had tremendous intangibles (pocket presence, leadership ability, adaptability to the pro game, and above all a sharp mind...(again, see Ryan Leaf, Akili Smith)...but Saban has a dilemma...he has to do something for this coming year, not a year or two out. I see him going after a second level FA and then drafting someone in the 3rd or 4th round to groom. The cost of a top level guy might be too much to spend right now in his eyes. The shoulder injury that Brees suffered could end up costing him a lot...Most teams are going to be leary about him now dependijng on how the rehab shakes out...He may even end up staying in SD (with Rivers) just because of that....At any rate, I may just give up on the Fins if he ends up keeping Gus as the starter...particularly if he pays him the roster bonus...

SCall13 said:
But I was talking strictly stats. I should have clarified.

Which mean absolutely nothing in scouting a prospect. College stats don't mean sqaut when your grading NFL potential.

Jaj said:
As for Cutler's arm strength it's at 59% which isn't great but it's ok for a pro prospect.

WTF? :confused: And how exactly do you measure that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom