Merged: Jimmy Williams | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Jimmy Williams

terrence newman is the best young corner in the NFL. hall isn't great, but regardless, he has nothing to do with jimmy williams

and williams could drop a bit. his 40 time is more critical than maybe any player in the draft. i could see a rolle/pacman situation unfold with tye hill going ahead of williams, right around where we pick

chuckcole said:
I'm still torn ... I'm a VT grad and, obviously, a huge fan. I've watched every game this year and many years prior. My assessment on Jimmy is that he is a player, no doubt, and he brings it. But, he just really didn't get tested at all this year (so far ... I would suspect that Louisville would test him since they're such a pass-happy offense). Plus, I really haven't been all that high on any CB's from VT that have been drafted. I don't believe that any have lived up to their expectations (see DeAngelo Hall, Keion Carpenter, Pierson Prieloue (sp?), Anthony Midget, Eric Green, and others). Maybe Jimmy is the exception to the rule. I certainly hope so, if we decide to go that route and draft him.

two things chuck. 1) j-dub didn't get tested b/c of the respect oc's had for him and the fact the he could lock the boundrary wr down throughout the whole game , and 2) what does d'lo have to do to live up to your expectations, be the nfl mvp? he is a pro-bowler, you know. and those other guys weren't near as heralded as j-dub and d'lo. as for j-dub, i don't think he projects to a top nfl corner b/c playing the boundrary corner made up for his lack of elite speed (a vt 4.4 forty means a 4.5 real forty), but he could be a competent corner or one helluva free safety.

and kast, your sig is the mother of all sigs, everybody has a price! ;)

kastofsna120 said:
terrence newman is the best young corner in the NFL. hall isn't great, but regardless, he has nothing to do with jimmy williams

and williams could drop a bit. his 40 time is more critical than maybe any player in the draft. i could see a rolle/pacman situation unfold with tye hill going ahead of williams, right around where we pick

Didn't Newman miss that critical tackle?!

ghost of marino said:
DeAngelo Hall? He may be the best young corner in the NFL.

It'll be interesting to see how Williams tests in the short area quickness drills at the combine, cause he has straight line speed, but might lack great change of direction ability, being as big as he is.
That's highly questionable. He was a high first round pick, and so the expectations that go along with that are very high.

kastofsna120 said:

I brought it up, just as history of CBs from VT.

Phishstix said:
two things chuck. 1) j-dub didn't get tested b/c of the respect oc's had for him and the fact the he could lock the boundrary wr down throughout the whole game
There may be something to that. Although, I think it has more to do with the pass rush not allowing the QB time to find the receiver. If Jimmy was locked on the WR that was not on the short side all the time, then obviously that would have been much more impressive.

Phishstix said:
2) what does d'lo have to do to live up to your expectations, be the nfl mvp? he is a pro-bowler, you know. and those other guys weren't near as heralded as j-dub and d'lo. as for j-dub, i don't think he projects to a top nfl corner b/c playing the boundrary corner made up for his lack of elite speed (a vt 4.4 forty means a 4.5 real forty), but he could be a competent corner or one helluva free safety.
I hadn't noticed that he was a Pro-Bowler this year. My bad. Things must be really bad in the NFC. But, he was an 8th-overall pick. So, the expectations are very high. Since he did make the Pro Bowl, then that does mean a lot.

Also, I have heard on many occasions though that Jimmy projects to more of a Safety in the NFL. Partly due to his speed and partly due to his heavy hitting and sure tackling (i.e., ability to support the run).

Jimmy Williams

i dont know if im just not seeing the name or what, but in a lot of the mock drafts i have seen (especially on finheaven) jimmy williams name hasnt been mentioned. to me he is one of the top, if not the top, defensive backs in the draft.

saynotocutler said:
i dont know if im just not seeing the name or what, but in a lot of the mock drafts i have seen (especially on finheaven) jimmy williams name hasnt been mentioned. to me he is one of the top, if not the top, defensive backs in the draft.

he is a bit of a risk because he is between positions. he is a slow but strong CB or he is a fast weak tackling saftey. could get burnt alot by the faster WRs

Back
Top Bottom