Merged: LaVar Arrington threads/Arrington to Giants/Arrington Meeting with Jags

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by YONOFU, Mar 22, 2006.

1. YONOFU

YONOFU Active Member

Everyone seems so anxious to get LaVar Arrington, who I think will be good pick up only if we get him real cheap. He has a knee injury that is real bad, maybe even career ending. His knee is bone to bone one more bad hit on that knee he is done he had to have 2 surgeries on the same knee. His overall production has not been that good either, Joe Gibbs sat him on the bench half the year last year. For the 8 games he played his numbers sucked. I think he is overated big time. It's to bad we didn't get Peterson he would be great but Arrington I could take him or leave him. If we pay him a very low salary why not give him a try.

2. icephinfan

icephinfan Dolphins Fan!!!

You won't be saying that when we sign him, and he starts flattening RB's.
    Peterson was injured more. Arrington in the 3-4 will be perfect for him!:eek:

3. Pepper2Chambers

Pepper2Chambers Active Member

You do realize that there are 4 teams pretty interested in him. Obviously he isn't that over-rated if teams are willing to break the bank on this 3 time pro bowler. Name 5 outside linebackers that are better than him then tell me if he's over-rated.

4. Mainge

Mainge FinHeaven VIP

Well that makes one of us.

5. Troysif

Troysif A True Fan Donator

Joey Porter, Seau(used to be),.....yep ok u got me hes not underated, and i never thought he was, i just thought id try to name 5

6. Se7eN

Se7eN Self-Proclaimed Coolest Guy on Finheaven

i think he's a little overated but hes still a really good linebacker and i think that he will be a huge addition

7. tmny99

tmny99 Glory Glory to Ole Georgia

Peterson suffered a ruptured achilles and he still has not regained his form. In fact, he may never be the player that he was. As for Lavar, he's a risk as well with his knees. I think it's similar to the Brees/Culpepper situation. Both have upside with risks. One has to wonder why Saban didn't actively recruit Peterson? I mean, Peterson seemed to be the perfect fit (having played in the system before). The fact that Saban didn't try very hard to get Peterson yet he's actively pursuing Arrington speaks volumes.

8. DolphinDevil28

DolphinDevil28 I like boobs. Finheaven VIP Donator

This thread is overrated.

9. MarxBrothers

MarxBrothers Scout Team

Great athlete who has always had trouble with assignment football and staying in a system. His natural instincts take over and he tends to freelance.Hopefully a stable coaching staff and a change will cause a bit of a turn around. The Eagles let Trotter go for this same reason years back to the Skins when he came back after being released he was mature and now does a terrific job in Jim Johnson's system and has become a leader so it can be done.

10. Mainge

Mainge FinHeaven VIP

Non-sense. I gave it 1 star. :D

11. johngarry

johngarry "Mysterious" Super Donator Donator

Soooo, I guess what you're saying rhetorically is, that Nick Saban is somewhat of a buffoon...and as a coach, is an overrated-overacheiver...so-to-speak...???

12. POTHEAD

POTHEAD Well-Known Member

Arrington can turn into a beast in Capers deffense. imagine if capers lined up lavar behind Jason Taylor

13. PHINATIC13

PHINATIC13 A True Fan

To OP:

I'd sign Lavar Arrington in a heartbeat.The man is still a beast imo.Remember
    Channing Crowder had some of the same concerns about his knees coming out of college and he had a great year imo.Besides if Nick and staff are worried about Lavar's knee I'm sure they'll have him checked out first.Btw ALL NFL players are "one more bad hit" away for becoming strictly fans.

14. bigbade

bigbade Starter

The guy has been in the league 6 years and made 3 Pro Bowls and last year was a half year lol. And Peterson had a worse injury and is way more overrated than LaVAr.

15. canesfins13

canesfins13 FinHeaven VIP

I agree - he is overated and not worth the money he will get. I just hope it is not from us

16. PHINATIC13

PHINATIC13 A True Fan

sure your not just saying that he went Florida.:wink:

Edit: this is a perfect example why you shouldn't drink and post.LOL I don;t know what I was thinking.

17. Smut Peddler

Smut Peddler Active Member

Okay, I might as well just say this in caps lock: WE.ARE.NOT.GOING.TO.GET.LAVAR.ARRINGTON

18. MarinoForPres

MarinoForPres Pro Bowler

yeah nt overratted just under achived in a bad situation! he can over achieve in a good one!!!!!

19. finfan32

finfan32 Well-Known Member

right, i trust sabans judgement much more than any person sitting on the outside analyizing.

20. DolphinDevil28

Well, I'm glad THAT is over!

Whew. Thank you SO MUCH Smut Peddler, for putting the issue to rest.

How stupid of us to believe Adam Schefter and the ESPN Insider. I'm so glad that you and your expertise can put the issue to rest.

Thanks!!! :up:

21. Smut Peddler

You obviously don't know Nick Saban and his, uh, "love" for younger players. That's why getting Daunte Culpepper suprised me. Thanks!!! :rickybrow

22. DolfanChris06

DolfanChris06 Seasoned Veteran

levar overated come'on

23. DolphinDevil28

You must not know that LaVar Arrington is, UH, 27 years old.

24. gottago24

gottago24 FINFAN FOR LIFE. SUPERBOWL IN '06.

Arrington is overrated

There have to be some significant issues with regard to the play of Arrington when he was literally benched for not understanding the system in Washington. Gibbs is widely respected as a great coach, who has coached tons of talent in his career. If he couldnt get Arrington to play the team defense with some discipline, why would he be worth 10 million in guaranteed money. There are a ton of great athletes out there who havent succeeded in a team game because they lacked discipline, and Arrington may very well be another one of them. I would hate to see us throw 10 million at this guy hoping he will turn that aspect of his game around. I think we are better off spending the money on other needs, like the O-Line or the secondary.

25. djfresh47

djfresh47 R.I.P. djfresh47

Arrington would be a great addition to the team. He's young and still can be a dominant linebacker. With that said Gregg Williams who I think is a very good DC but everybody who wanted to hire him is lucky that Snyder pulled out the money did not seem to like him; he "roams" a bit and at times can get out of position. Which is why I think Williams had no use for him during some games. He is a guy IMO, who can make plays and if he does sign with Miami somebody on defense that the team can build around. Zach and JT aren't getting any young and if Saban does sign him I think after Zach and JT are gone can be a cornerstone of the defense along with Crowder. Adam Schefter reported that he believes he will sign with either Miami or Jax, i'm hoping it's the Phins.

26. dolphins72/73

dolphins72/73 Active Member

GET RAY LEWIS GIVE UP #16 PICK UNLESS SOME HOW WE CAN GET REGGIE BUSH. eVERYONE ELSE CAN BE A BUST, LEWIS IS BETTER THEN ANY OTHER PICK IN THE DRAFT. GET LEWIS AND RUN.................................

27. Dphins

Dphins Seasoned Veteran

Arrington has underacheived and at this point is overrated. However he is one of the most physically gifted atheletes in the NFL. I believe Nick Saban and our coaches would be able to help him reach his potential. I hope we sign him.

28. DolphinDevil28

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiggghhhttttt.....

[​IMG]

29. dolphins72/73

dolphins72/73 Active Member

Get Lewis/thomas/crowder

30. Smut Peddler

You're taking this little internet argument pretty seriously huh? :fire:

1. Saban will consider 27 up there, especially with his history of injuries.

2. It doesn't make sense to get him since he's asking too much and is not willing to take a pay cut. He'll go to the Jags who have a lot more room than we do.

Keep the blind faith, though. :sidelol:

31. CubanCulebra

CubanCulebra Well-Known Member

Joey Porter, Shawn Meriman, Cato June, Derrick Brooks, Keith Brooking, Lance Briggs. That's 6. Don't take a knife to a gun fight. Arrington is definitely over-rated for the type of money he's looking to make. Teams don't generally let great players go, specially when they are only 27 years old. You think Gibbs to be a fool? You wouldn't be qualified to spit-shine his SB rings. Oh and... don't take a six-shooter to kill seven men. The LBs were free, the life lessons I might have to charge you for.

32. Jaj

Jaj What you say?

Shawne Merriman? Yes he can get to the QB but he's not as good as Lavar yet. Joey Porter? Lavar can do all that Joey does and has better speed. Cato June?:lol: Lavar has far more ability and most of all size. Derrick Brooks yes even at his advancing age. Lance Briggs ehhhh....

Yes he had a great year, but Lavar could be the most talented LB ever and once he finds the right situation which Saban can provide, he'll take off. Remember how Takeo Spikes turned it in a little more once he got to Buffalo? Lavar will have a similar effect here...

33. Skeet84

Skeet84 A True Fan

He is overrated cause he really does not do alot of " Plays " that are designed. He is a very good LB tho and he plays with alot of Instinct. His biggest prob is staying healthy.

34. fightinfinfan22

fightinfinfan22 Well-Known Member

hey cuban pete....cato june..........jesus christ....

35. DaBills4life

DaBills4life Starter

Lavar is overrated, but he is still a good LB. He isnt what everyone thought he would be, the next LT, but he is a solid NFL player.

He has had some GREAT coaches in his career, so its not the coaching. Marvin Lewis and Gregg Williams. I dont think coaching will get anymore out of him. Its up to him. Can he physically still become what people thought he would be and/or is he determined enough to be what people want him to be.

So far, he has NOT lived up to his hype.

By the way, when Spikes is healthy, he is one the best OLB's in the NFL.

Brooks, Porter, Spikes (But Spikes has to come back from a serious injury) are the best.

Merriman is a beast and is BETTER than all of them, but its only one year. If he does it again, he will be on top.

36. finmann

finmann Pro Bowler

It really doesn't matter if he is overated at all, Saban will not overpay for any player......he will let him walk first.

37. RichmondWeb

RichmondWeb Greetings from Portlandia Finheaven VIP

I'm not sold on Lavar either. But what would concern me the most would be to disrupt chemistry by going out on a limb financially for him. With all the guys who have agreed to take pay cuts for the team, they should be very upset if someone like Lavar, an unknown quantity, were to come in at a Peterson type salary.

38. Gunit1

Gunit1 Active Member

No one questions Arringtons physical ability....He's a beast!!! He is a liability in that he would not play within Greg Williams schemes...He has always been known as a guy who freelances...When he was at Penn State they schemed around him so he could litterally do what ever he wanted.....The question is will Saban be willing to do that at Arringtions asking price??? I say no way...

39. Pepper2Chambers

Pepper2Chambers Active Member

Joey Porter-Maybe
    Merriman-Don't compare a rookie to a proven player
    Cato June- Are you serious
    Derrick Brooks- Old
    Keith Brooking- Maybe
    Lance Briggs- That's funny
    CubanCulebra next time think before you post. Nice Try though

40. LarryFinFan

LarryFinFan Left So Fla, never the Fins...

Well, he was a non factor for half the season at Washington, but he was a beast down the stretch for them...I don't know about his "freelancing" stuff, that may be more of former coaches doing the CYA thing for letting him go...At any rate, he certainly would improve our LB corp and D overall...Capers and Saban are masters at adjusting the D to the players they have...

41. HomesteadMAC

HomesteadMAC Rookie

As a dolfan I don't want him. For every big play he makes there is another play that he misses, due to being out of position. He has always been a freelance player. He was healthy last year and Gibbs didn't want to play him. That should say alot. Plus he wants big money.

42. TotoreMexico

TotoreMexico Member of the 'Owned! Awards' Commitee

Arrington was injured and so was Peterson

43. One4theThumb

One4theThumb Well-Known Member

i can easily name 5...

derrick brooks
    dj williams
    julian peterson
    joey porter
    shawn merriman

arrington did nothing last season. i dont wanna pay him anything near jp money

44. fatkirstyalley

fatkirstyalley Donut Enthusiast

overrated....maybe,overpriced....definitely

45. NickJr.

NickJr. Section 436 Stand UP!

Peterson hasn't made any impact since '04 because of his injury. Merriman had one great year. Arrington has done it for years. DJ Williams(homer) good but let's be serious. Brooks and Porter are both studs on LA's level. I agree the money is too rich for me, but it's not my dollar. If we get him, he'll be our next HOF LB

46. Nick13

Nick13 Seasoned Veteran

Arrington to meet with Jags on Saturday

just saw it on NFL Total Access, so no link, i apologize. but Schefter said that Arrington will end up in the state of Florida, and said that we have been making offers ( i thought no contract had been offered?). just an update!

47. sammy2008

sammy2008 Well-Known Member

let's start looking for someone else then

48. heat_fan

heat_fan #1 Biggest Dol-Fan in Toronto

This may be putting pressure on the dolphins..

Arrington has said before that he wants to play in Miami..plus we were one of his first visits..

Who knows tho..This is really getting my all excited..hopefully he cancels or moves his visit with the jags up to tomorro..

49. Nublar7

Nublar7 Retired Finheaven VIP

um why? We already knew he was going to meet with the Jags, we just didn't know when.

50. SR 7

SR 7 A True Fan

exactly and why do it on Sat? apparently he is putting pressure on us and made his visit on sat when he could have gone today or tom as he canceled his cinncy visit meaning that he had the time. giving us a day of pressure to push it harder or else if he was locked on Jags he woudl have gone today or tom. btw what D do they run? 3 4 or 4 3?