MERGED: Michael Sam to be First Openly Gay Player - Okay w/ Phins drafting him? | Page 15 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGED: Michael Sam to be First Openly Gay Player - Okay w/ Phins drafting him?

I don't see their issues as being different from the issues any other minority deals with when they're not being given full equal status.

Since the majority of black people are opposed to Gay marriage, I don't believe they view a persons choices the same as a persons skin color.

I bet the Patriots draft him and the media will have a slurpfest and call them the most progressive franchise of our times.

Well, they already have Brady, so they're more experienced in that dept.

What exactly are thinking is going to happen in the locker room if Sam is in there? Do you think he's going to be leering at some other player's ass? Do you think he's going to be grabbing someone's junk in the shower stalls? The fact that he got through a Div.1A college program without any locker room issues coming up tells me all I need to know on that subject.

I haven't noticed that, but I suppose if you're sensitive to it you'd notice it more than I. Growing up in Brooklyn, NY, I've known gay people nearly my entire life. I don't see their issues as being different from the issues any other minority deals with when they're not being given full equal status.

Of course it does. Prior to coming out nationally, he could have counted on being drafted within a certain window and now that's in question. Some are even speculating he won't get drafted at all. He wants to be a professional football player and he's risking that, not to benefit himself, but to benefit those that come after. In my book, that's courage.

Nonsense. Homophobic bigots are paid very well over at Fox News. It takes no courage at all to buy into negative stereotypes and let those that propagate them lead you around by the nose.

If straight men were a longtime oppressed minority, sure. But since straight men have always been the group at the top of the ladder, it wouldn't be much of a revelation, would it?

Did someone stop you from speaking? Freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom from criticism. Anyone in this country is allowed to say all manner of stupid, offensive, bigoted things, and anyone else is allowed to point out the stupidity, the offensiveness, and the bigotry.

Another PMSNBC bobblehead. Hows that high moral compass doing now days with the likes of Melissa Harris Perry, Ed Schultz and others? Any thrills up your leg for the white/black President? Intolerant views come in all colors. You and jvw make the point.

I just turned off ESPN because I'm tired of this person getting all the media attention because he announced to everyone he is a homosexual.

This is only going to encourage other kids who are a little lost or want some attention to do the same.

No place for this in sports.

So honest questions here.

If a religious player comes out and says they do not accept Sam because he is a gay man, and that is against their religion and beliefs, does that mean he is "wrong"?

Yes it means he is wrong -- because if he were preaching the word of 'God' as it seemingly is meant to be spoken, he wouldn't 'disapprove' of him were he Buddhist, Hindu, or Muslim either.

It also means that he just doesn't know any better, because he grew up in conditions which precluded him/her from treating other people with respect for their own beliefs and accords, and allowing himself to 'accept' the fact that not everyone is like him/her and THAT IS OK (approved! accepted! LOL)

Just look at the 6 pages of this topic....anyone who thinks there wouldn't be a controversy is ignorant...flat out!

BTW, I'm all for equal right opportunity. But there is no need to disclose your private life to everyone, and if you do you are not intelligent in my opinion, as it may be used against you.

This kid has an ulterior motive.

Since the majority of black people are opposed to Gay marriage, I don't believe they view a persons choices the same as a persons skin color.

If you knew anything about the topic, you would know it isn't a matter of choice. Do you honestly think that this guy CHOSE to be this way? LOL

Do you think, gosh, it would be FUN to have everyone and their mother's uncle arguing over the semantics of this?

No -- he wanted to get it off his chest, go on with his life, and not have to worry about IF or WHEN it might come up and what he would say to ignorance. The beauty of that, as far as my experience was concerned, is that good-natured people stand up for you instead of shun you. And that is an incredible feeling, knowing that you are 'approved' and can just live your ******* life.

It does not matter what his sexual preference is, or what he does in the privacy of his own home, if he deserves to go in the 1st round on his talent, then teams should take him because of his talent.

Not a fan of telling the world what your sexual preference is, but it still should not effect you one way or the other.

Another PMSNBC bobblehead. Hows that high moral compass doing now days with the likes of Melissa Harris Perry, Ed Schultz and others? Any thrills up your leg for the white/black President? Intolerant views come in all colors. You and jvw make the point.

YEah liberals are the intolerant ones lol, keep calling us intolerant and were going to take away all your republican states rights to have sex with horses. Seriously, you guys are intolerant to gays, but love some horse sex. Loved it so much you guys made it into law.

Now explain this to me, if the horse is a male, is gay male horse sex frowned upon in your "belief system"? I mean how does this work? Is there a faction of rightys with a gay horse agenda trying to convince you straight horse ****ers that they deserve the same right to sex with horse?

What a JOKE. You actually want to say that he has an AGENDA?

Dealing with people's outright hypocrisy is what keeps gay athletes from being 'allowed' to be themselves. He isn't the first to do it in pro sports, but he is the first to do it in what will soon be NFL football.

His only agenda was getting it off his chest, because it isn't easy. You have NO clue what that is like, UNLESS you have something you want to share with us also? In which case we can have a small Finheaven press conference, too.

Your agenda is apparent -- you are making this about politics. This is about a person being who they want to be, and not allowing the general culture of the NFL to dictate that. The kid is a pioneer, and has more cajones than you will ever allow yourself to understand because you keep getting hung up on politics.

Listen here homie. When you have all the major media outlets and ESPN parading this guy around as a hero, based on their liberal beliefs. Period.

It takes no courage to come out in todays world, and you too prove my point. This guy is a celebrity because of his sexuality, not his skill set. I am hearing the familiar buzz words I normally hear from Rachel Maddow and Chris Hayes among others. Uneducated, narrow minded, bigot....all words that come from the left. Put your head in the sand and clap for you poster boy. I don't have to do it, nor do I have to be a bobble head in your world view. It takes NO COURAGE to come out. NONE. He is a celebrity now, who will be on the cover of magazines. And anyone who doesn't cheer this media circus on, is a person to be destroyed. As your post and others here have started to do. Thank you for making my point.

Yes it means he is wrong -- because if he were preaching the word of 'God' as it seemingly is meant to be spoken, he wouldn't 'disapprove' of him were he Buddhist, Hindu, or Muslim either.

It also means that he just doesn't know any better, because he grew up in conditions which precluded him/her from treating other people with respect for their own beliefs and accords, and allowing himself to 'accept' the fact that not everyone is like him/her and THAT IS OK (approved! accepted! LOL)

So your allowing yourself to 'accept' the fact that not everyone is like him/her and THAT IS OK? Or does it mean, you just don't know any better, because you grew up in conditions which precluded you from treating other people with respect for their own beliefs and accords?

YEah liberals are the intolerant ones lol, keep calling us intolerant and were going to take away all your republican states rights to have sex with horses. Seriously, you guys are intolerant to gays, but love some horse sex. Loved it so much you guys made it into law.

Now explain this to me, if the horse is a male, is gay male horse sex frowned upon in your "belief system"? I mean how does this work? Is there a faction of rightys with a gay horse agenda trying to convince you straight horse ****ers that they deserve the same right to sex with horse?

What states? Because if your talking the South...those were all heavily Democratic states up until 60s/70s. Dixicrats anyone?

Also, what does this have to do with 2014 and this gay guy? Are you trying to make a correlation between animal sex and gay sex?

If you knew anything about the topic, you would know it isn't a matter of choice. .

If it is all in your DNA then how come identical twins aren't both gay then, there has to some choice right?

If I disapprove of homosexual behavior then I'm a hateful bigot.

Yes. You're hating someone for how they were born. Gay people have about as much control over who they're attracted to as people have over their eye color, their hair color, their skin color, or any other genetic characteristic.

And if you tell me it's a choice, I'll tell you that eye, hair, and skin color are choices as well.
People can wear brown contacts to cover up blue, green, and hazel eyes.
People can dye their hair brown.
Darker skinned people can bleach their skin.
But why should anyone have to do any of those things?

Back
Top Bottom