[MERGED] Nfl 2007 Draft Do-over | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

[MERGED] Nfl 2007 Draft Do-over

Looking back at the 2007 Draft...

613289-1.jpg

Miami may have been better off going a different direction than Ted Ginn.

Team: Miami Dolphins
Pick: No. 9
Actual pick: Ted Ginn, WR/KR, Ohio State
Revised pick: Patrick Willis, LB, Ole Miss

Where do we start with the Dolphins? Most analysts were penciling in the name Brady Quinn when the Dolphins hit the clock, only to be stunned by hearing Ginn's name. It is unlikely the Dolphins would have been a much better team in 2007, but they would have better options right now if they had gone for Quinn at No. 9 and come back in the third round (#71) and taken a receiver like James Jones, Jason Hill, Laurent Robinson or even Jacoby Jones. Ginn still has plenty of speed and return skills, but the new front office seems undecided on the fate of last year's second-round choice, John Beck. In fact, offensive lineman Samson Satele (2nd round) is one of the few early picks from last season that fits the new regime's style/schemes. In this scenario, Quinn is off the board to Atlanta at No. 8. I think in that case the Dolphins would have looked closely at Jamaal Anderson, who would now still be on the board. But after a tremendous rookie season, the most desired player on the board most likely would have been former Ole Miss linebacker Patrick Willis. One last point: While I have a higher grade overall on LSU's Glenn Dorsey, the age, upside and athleticism shown by defensive tackle Amobi Okoye also would have turned out to be a better decision at No. 9 since the Dolphins could still have come back with a quarterback in round two, a better receiver choice in the third and not come away with so many wasted choices.

http://nfldraft.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=782003

I know it's easier to say this after the fact that you have seen what the players can do....but would you go back and draft Patrick Willis? I think I would, simply because Zach is gone.

I was a huge supporter of drafting Pat Willis last year. I knew Zach couldn't go forever and since the team was moving into a 3-4 you could never have to many LB's...

I was suprised by the Ginn pick like 99% of us were but I really think he's gonna shine this season, especially on special teams with all the help BP/Ireland are giving him.

I got slayed on this board last year for wanting to draft Willis.

Hindsight is always 20/20. We needed that playmaker on offense/special teams and Ginn has shown promise now and again so only time will tell if we made the right move or we actually did reach for that pick. Then of course, you can also throw Quinn into the mix as well, but again, he has yet to show anything where as Willis is already a ProBowl caliber player and will more than likely continue to be for years to come, and Ginn is starting for our team. Of course, if our FO had to choose all over again with what we now know about our team combined with this particular player's level of production I believe the choice is an obvious one, that being Willis.

I was a huge supporter of Ginn before the draft, and still am. The kid has some serious skills that we have been crying for over the last 10 years. He did well for a rook, and lets wait and see what he and others can do during a non-imploding team season.

Honestly had we not picked Ginn and he went to another "more talented" team, Ginn may have had multiple returns for TD's (not called back due to penalties, etc) and more receptions/TD's on offense. With all these what if's, the article then could be saying we missed out on Ginn while selecting say Quinn who probably wouldn't have shown much more than Beck with the surrounding cast from last season... It's just crazy to try to look back at this point and say we screwed up and missed out on the pick, when we got a quality player, who played on a very bad team. Even if we had drafted Willis, there is no telling that he would have had the season he did in SF in Miami.

I love the Ginn Pick, PR/KR/Wr, this guy can flat out catch and won't put us in the misery we wen through with guys like Hagan, Chambers, mcmichael.
Patrick Willis would have been a good choice but the draft is over so nothing we can do about it.

For me it either Ginn/Quinn or Willis.

ive grown tired of this discussion. its been brought up atleast once a day for a year now. though the reason it has been brought up so many times is the fact that probably 80% of the people on this board wanted someone else besides Ginn at that pick, including myself. i often catch myself thinkin about what if.

problem is, we cant do anything about it. what if doesnt mean nothing now. we got what we got.

No we made our mistakes two years ago when we did not pick Braylon Edwards not that I don't R Brown but we could have gotten another running back in a later round that year.

I love the Ginn Pick, PR/KR/Wr, this guy can flat out catch

48% catch rate = "can flat out catch"? Chambers was blasted for years about his hands of stone and even he had a 51% catch rate. I know Ginn was a rook, but c'mon 48% is WEAK.

Also, it's easy to look back and see who would have benefited us more (e.g. Braylon Edwards would have been a better pick than RB cause we're weak at WR now and could draft DMC, etc.) That's too easy. The fact is, the safest two players for us to pick last year were Brady Quinn and Patrick Willis. One has the chance to develop into a franchise quarterback, the other is a dominant MLB and will be for many years.

Ginn may turn out to be a fantastic player, but #9 was too high to pick a player based mainly on potential and speed, especially with his lack of size for the position and injury risks. It seems that in many recent drafts, the Dolphins have tried to pick players who would either be a big hit or a big miss. If you look at year-in and year-out good teams like the Colts, Pats, Steelers, etc., you'll notice those teams prefer safer picks over chance picks. The two safest #1 picks in this draft seem to be Chris Long and Jake Long. I think BP is the perfect guy who will come in and stress that same theory: safer picks means more depth and talent, and hopefully we see that come draft day.

48% catch rate = "can flat out catch"? Chambers was blasted for years about his hands of stone and even he had a 51% catch rate. I know Ginn was a rook, but c'mon 48% is WEAK.

Also, it's easy to look back and see who would have benefited us more (e.g. Braylon Edwards would have been a better pick than RB cause we're weak at WR now and could draft DMC, etc.) That's too easy. The fact is, the safest two players for us to pick last year were Brady Quinn and Patrick Willis. One has the chance to develop into a franchise quarterback, the other is a dominant MLB and will be for many years.

Ginn may turn out to be a fantastic player, but #9 was too high to pick a player based mainly on potential and speed, especially with his lack of size for the position and injury risks. It seems that in many recent drafts, the Dolphins have tried to pick players who would either be a big hit or a big miss. If you look at year-in and year-out good teams like the Colts, Pats, Steelers, etc., you'll notice those teams prefer safer picks over chance picks. The two safest #1 picks in this draft seem to be Chris Long and Jake Long. I think BP is the perfect guy who will come in and stress that same theory: safer picks means more depth and talent, and hopefully we see that come draft day.

you cant judge a WR with catch rate really. he only had 2 drops all year. chambers usually had that in every game. catch rate counts balls that are uncatchable into the catchrate.

Back
Top Bottom