Merged: PFT: Vince Young scores a 6 on the Wonderlic. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: PFT: Vince Young scores a 6 on the Wonderlic.

I dont care what they said he scored, it doesnt matter

How smart you are has no measure on whether you can read a defense or not, or how much intensity you bring or your leadership skills

I hate the damn test its stupid

I dont care if he can pick out the sixth month of the year off the top of his head as long as he can make the 3rd and 4th read on a play

Alex22 said:
I dont care what they said he scored, it doesnt matter

How smart you are has no measure on whether you can read a defense or not, or how much intensity you bring or your leadership skills

I hate the damn test its stupid

I dont care if he can pick out the sixth month of the year off the top of his head as long as he can make the 3rd and 4th read on a play

Actually it does for a QB.. Those tests are designed to test symbolic and mental processing.. Thats why its timed. If he scores so miserably on that test, it does not serve well for his potential for breaking down NFL strategic plans, reading complicated defenses on the fly, etc. They dont make atheletes take these tests for fun, they do serve a purpose.

I can see the new joke already

Which will be lower his test score or his draft position

But as I said above the test really has no bearing on your football knowledge which I have no doubt he has, I have always thought he was a little dull so to speak off the field

Phinanthropist said:
Great news. I'll take him at 16 without hesitation.

I definately wouldnt if that test score is true...

Alex22 said:
I can see the new joke already

Which will be lower his test score or his draft position

But as I said above the test really has no bearing on your football knowledge which I have no doubt he has, I have always thought he was a little dull so to speak off the field

IT DOES have significant bearing on QB play! The Wonderlic, like most intelligence tests, serves to test one's ability to process information quickly and accurately. With a score like 6, it throws up a serious red flag about his processing ability, and for a position like QB, the ability to process information quickly and accurately is integral.

SkapePhin said:
Actually it does for a QB.. Those tests are designed to test symbolic and mental processing.. Thats why its timed. If he scores so miserably on that test, it does not serve well for his potential for breaking down NFL strategic plans, reading complicated defenses on the fly, etc. They dont make atheletes take these tests for fun, they do serve a purpose.

No just because your smart off the field doesnt mean you are smart on the field and vice versa

Some guys dedicate themselves to studying football rather than studying in school, so they learn more things on the field than they do off

The test really is stupid IMO doesnt show anything

As long as you finish the test on time your fine

SkapePhin said:
IT DOES have significant bearing on QB play! The Wonderlic, like most intelligence tests, serves to test one's ability to process information quickly and accurately. With a score like 6, it throws up a serious red flag about his processing ability, and for a position like QB, the ability to process information quickly and accurately is integral.

And on the field he did process that info just fine

So why worry about how he processes off the field

Maybe he is a stupid guy, that doesnt make him a stupid player at all

making a quick read is nothing like picking which month comes 6th in the year

Alex22 said:
No just because your smart off the field doesnt mean you are smart on the field and vice versa

Some guys dedicate themselves to studying football rather than studying in school, so they learn more things on the field than they do off

The test really is stupid IMO doesnt show anything

As long as you finish the test on time your fine

Listen, I have taken several courses that study how testing such as IQ and other similar intelligence testing is done. This is not simply "book smarts".. Its PROCESSING. Thats where the "time" factors into the testing.. It tests how quickly and accurately a person can breakdown information, something a QB must do on the field under heavy duress..

Alex22 said:
And on the field he did process that info just fine

So why worry about how he processes off the field

Maybe he is a stupid guy, that doesnt make him a stupid player at all

making a quick read is nothing like picking which month comes 6th in the year

How is it not? Its the same principle. And the speed of the game in college is DRASTICALLY different than in the NFL.. When the speed increases, his ability to process that information must also increase.. This test seriously sheds doubt on whether he will be able to do that with the same success on the NFL level.

SkapePhin said:
Listen, I have taken several courses that study how testing such as IQ and other similar intelligence testing is done. This is not simply "book smarts".. Its PROCESSING. Thats where the "time" factors into the testing.. It tests how quickly and accurately a person can breakdown information, something a QB must do on the field under heavy duress..

So my IQ is 134 in a timed test but when I played QB I still had a tough time breaking things down on the field, thats why I play reciever instead of QB now

And truthfully from the article I can deduct it has nothing to do with how well you process info

Lets say the question is

What is the 2nd month of the year

A- January
B- February
C- September
D- March

If he truely thinks March is the second month of the year and he anwsers it immediatly, although he is wrong, he still processed the info just fine, but he's dumb

It has no bearing on anything

A league source tells us that there's a rumor making the rounds at the combine that Texas quarterback Vince Young scored a miserably horrible six on the Wonderlic test.

A six! That's bad. It's beyond bad. In fact, it's the lowest score that we can ever remember hearing anyone getting
Guys, this is the definition of as unconfirmed rumor. Someone (off the record) is telling PFT there is a rumor going arond, thats like a double if. I wouldnt get too worked up about this untill its confirmed by someone who has a little more credibility than PFT.

Edit-This just gets less and less credible-
Said the source, who knows a thing or two about evaluating college players:

"I predict he'll fall all the way out of the first round."

Alex22 said:
So my IQ is 134 in a timed test but when I played QB I still had a tough time breaking things down on the field, thats why I play reciever instead of QB now

And truthfully from the article I can deduct it has nothing to do with how well you process info

Lets say the question is

What is the 2nd month of the year

A- January
B- February
C- September
D- March

If he truely thinks March is the second month of the year and he anwsers it immediatly, although he is wrong, he still processed the info just fine, but he's dumb

It has no bearing on anything

Quickly and Accurately

And some of that is such basic general knowledge, that if you dont know the months in the year, I dont even see how you could be literate enough to read a playbook much less understand the concepts within it..

Back
Top Bottom