Merged: PFT: Vince Young scores a 6 on the Wonderlic. | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: PFT: Vince Young scores a 6 on the Wonderlic.

Alex22 said:
BTW Im looking up other guys scores not all QB's and here is what I found

Frank Gore-RB- Also got a 6 *he has a learning disability im 100% serious on that*

Aaron Rodgers scored a 35 and people are saying he doesnt have what it takes to succeed

Peyton Manning apparantly scored a 16

Ill have more later

ppl are saying he doesnt have what it takes to succeed because he doesnt have the talent its not like ppl are saying a 35 u cant succeed because of a 35

Alex22 said:
I know he has on the field knowledge, so how stupid he is off the field doesnt matter.

I am not ready to say VY couldnt succeed in the NFL as a QB whether he did or didnt actually score a 6. But his ability to comprehend and fully understand things matter on and off the field.

http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/sports/article.adp?id=20040414101609990001

The Wonderlic Personnel Test has 50 questions, which players are given 12 minutes to answer. According to the company that creates these tests, "The WPT is a short form measure of cognitive ability designed for simple administration and interpretation."

The test is designed to measure one's ability to:
· Learn a specific job
· Solve problems
· Understand instructions
· Apply knowledge to new situations
· Benefit from specific job training
· Be satisfied with a particular problem

However, the results of these Wonderlic tests are viewed differently by each team, coach and scout -- if they are viewed at all.

Pro Football Hall of Fame coach and draft wizard Bill Walsh agrees that the Wonderlic is something worth referencing in some instances, but not really the last word regarding a player's intelligence.

"Functional intelligence is the key," Walsh said. "There have been Hall of Fame quarterbacks who would have scored fairly low on these tests. But they were great football players, competitors and decision processors on the field.

Maybe he didnt score a 6, but if he did, just like many other "red flags" its just makes things harder for a professional organization to justify paying alot of money to someone when other players are there with less "known" risk.

Just to put this in perspective. The average for QB's is 24. The average for everyone who takes the test (NFL players or otherwise) is 21. A score of 20 means you have an IQ of 100. A score of 10 is literacy. Vince Young scored a six. Just keep all those other numbers in mind.

ESPN page 2 has a neat sample section of a Wonderlic test. 15 questions in five minutes. I finished in about 4 minutes and got 13 right. I didn't spend the time on the math questions as finishing three additional questions in the time it would take to finish one is silly. So, multiply my score out over to 50 questions:

13 divided by 15 = .866
50 multipled by ..866 = 43.33

Assuming I would have kept my same rate, I would have scored a 43 or 44. I am just some schlub salesman with no college experience. Vince has no excuse if you ask me. Even Nervous people can get 10.

forget about how this test relates to on-the-field reading of a defense, how bout trying to read an NFL playbook and learn it in a short amount of time? or breaking down film with coaches. something leinart has no problem with.

Dan Marino was actually a 14, it seems.

A six is just difficult to believe. And it's PFT. I think I'll wait and see.

Oh, and to put a six in perspective... Jeff George got a 10. He was... not smart.

Michael Vick got a 20.

There was a Bronco that got a 4, a pro-bowler... but he was dsylexic. Maybe Young is dyslexic?

While it's true that football smarts do not equal iq smarts... you have to take it into account... especially that extreme of a score. I wouldn't have really blinked if he got a 12 or 15... but six needs explaining.

Hahaha. Sorry, got into a discussion with someone in another thread who was saying that Ricky Williams was stupid. Not made stupid decisions, but was just low IQ stupid. I said if anything Ricky was too smart for football, can't get out of his head.

Just dug up that Ricky Williams got a 30.

Quite possibly the funniest arguements over a point I've ever read in a single thread. :lol:

nopony said:
Hahaha. Sorry, got into a discussion with someone in another thread who was saying that Ricky Williams was stupid. Not made stupid decisions, but was just low IQ stupid. I said if anything Ricky was too smart for football, can't get out of his head.

Just dug up that Ricky Williams got a 30.

Thats pretty good for a football player.. High among RBs as well.

Alex22 said:
You just made yourself look like a total idiot

He is NOT a running QB he is a QB that can run there is a major difference there buddy, watch all his games and tell me how many of the times he ran were called runs and you will come back suprised by what you saw

Horrid Delivery? I dont care if he throws it underhand as long as he gets the ball there, I dont think ive ever seen a ball get knocked down at the line

Just because he didnt take snaps under center doesnt mean he cant, it just means they were maximizing his ability, the problem with the Shotgun is you cant run well out of it, but Texas could and so they used it, what does it have to be a knock on him?

His Accuracy is fine, and he has a way stronger arm than Leinart does

I'll be laughing and crying at us if we dont draft him and he is there at 16, more like his competitiveness, desire, and talent puts a team ahead 5 years not back

I don't usually care about a so called "personal attack" but for you...I'll care. Enjoy the points.:wink:

Samphin said:
Just to put this in perspective. The average for QB's is 24. The average for everyone who takes the test (NFL players or otherwise) is 21. A score of 20 means you have an IQ of 100. A score of 10 is literacy. Vince Young scored a six. Just keep all those other numbers in mind.

ESPN page 2 has a neat sample section of a Wonderlic test. 15 questions in five minutes. I finished in about 4 minutes and got 13 right. I didn't spend the time on the math questions as finishing three additional questions in the time it would take to finish one is silly. So, multiply my score out over to 50 questions:

13 divided by 15 = .866
50 multipled by ..866 = 43.33

Assuming I would have kept my same rate, I would have scored a 43 or 44. I am just some schlub salesman with no college experience. Vince has no escuse if you ask me. Even Nervous people can get 10.

The questions on the Wonderlic get progressively harder.

Back
Top Bottom