MERGED:Shedding some light on Brees - Culpepper\Brees failed physical | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGED:Shedding some light on Brees - Culpepper\Brees failed physical

tmny99

Glory Glory to Ole Georgia
Reaction score
Here is an excerpt from a Pasquarelli article on ESPN insider. It details the Brees/Culpepper events. Some have been speculating that Brees turned us down or that we "settled" for Culpepper. Neither seem to be accurate, any thoughts?

Enough of the disingenuous rhetoric, please, about how Drew Brees signed with New Orleans because he felt at home with the Saints and was comfortable with the program that they are trying to rebuild. The fact is, Brees was left on Tuesday morning with nowhere else to go after he essentially failed the very rigorous physical examination the Miami Dolphins administered to him the previous day. Physical exams in the NFL are very subjective things, and the Miami medical staff felt that Brees' surgically repaired shoulder, although improving, wasn't quite far enough along for the financial exposure the Dolphins would have had if they had agreed to sign the former San Diego starter.

So, on Monday evening, with the medical evaluations in hand, the Dolphins, after determining that Brees and agent Tom Condon wouldn't reduce the contractual liability, turned their attentions back to acquiring quarterback Daunte Culpepper in a trade. Then, very early Tuesday morning -- reliable sources told ESPN.com -- Dolphins coach Nick Saban apprised Condon that Miami was out of the bidding for Brees. In fairness to Brees, Saban told Condon, the Dolphins would stay quiet about the results of the physical exam and the pending trade for Culpepper for a few hours. That would provide Condon and Brees, who had no negotiating leverage remaining with the Dolphins suddenly out of the picture, some time to complete the six-year, $60 million deal with Saints officials. In the end, the Dolphins simply thought Culpepper had a better chance of being on the field for training camp than Brees did.

"We're talking the quarterback position, right?" one Miami source said. "So what would you rather have, a guy coming off knee surgery or off shoulder surgery? You don't throw with your knee."

You don't throw w/ your knee but you do need your legs to throw. Both are damaged goods at this point, Miami made the right call if they were scared by Bree's shoulder but you can't act like daunte is 100% ok and that his injury will not affect him.

nyjunc said:
You don't throw w/ your knee but you do need your legs to throw. Both are damaged goods at this point, Miami made the right call if they were scared by Bree's shoulder but you can't act like daunte is 100% ok and that his injury will not affect him.

Right, and the Jets will be the AFCE champs this year? Just playin with ya. But yes, we all know that there are risks associated with anyone coming off of an injury. Still, we can be confident he will recover just fine.

Wow, so that's why the Saints are mad, Saban didn't share the medical exam with them. HAHA, that's kinda of dirty to them, but kinda of cool to Condon, so you can love or hate Saban depending on your position. Maybe Saban would rather have an agent 'owe him one'?

Exactly... Brees knows deep down he is not going to be able to start this season, and maybe he won't be as effective as he once was - Ala Pennington... He had to get the payday, because they may be few and far between. I hope he comes back strong, because I like Brees. I saw him play in Washington last year, and I was impressed with him. I just kind of see his better days behind him, but Culpepper's are about to come!

bigmiamifan said:
Wow, so that's why the Saints are mad, Saban didn't share the medical exam with them. HAHA, that's kinda of dirty to them, but kinda of cool to Condon, so you can love or hate Saban depending on your position. Maybe Saban would rather have an agent 'owe him one'?

I don't think it's dirty. It was our exam, we don't have to share that info. Unless the Saints want to pay for it...

And Saban's heads up to Cordon was classy... He didn't do it through the media, he called him.

This entire event was not dirty in my opinion. It's a sports business. And Saban was as up front as he could be. You don't give your competition any sort of advantage whether it's on the field, the draft, or free-agency...

If all of that is true, then it sounds like Nick was extremely fair to Brees in how he handled it. I'd be mad if I were NO, but then again, why didn't their medical guys come to that conclusion ? Makes you wonder if they really put him through much, if any tests ? Also makes you wonder if they now know they have a big ?? at QB still, will they trade down or play it safe since they have a high draft pick and take a future franchise QB ? It would be a ironic if Brees found himself in the same situation as SD again ?
:lol:

I'd be absolutely pissed if I was the Saints, they paid full price without knowing he failed our physical. That's gotta be the reason for all this buyers remorse

nyjunc said:

Culpeppers already throwing. They had him on ESPN throwing some bombs...

msg said:
I'd be absolutely pissed if I was the Saints, they paid full price without knowing he failed our physical. That's gotta be the reason for all this buyers remorse

But why didn't the Saints use due care and do the same thing? I mean, this is a lot of money, and you should know what's under the hood before buying. The Saints should have put him through a medical exam the way Miami did... Maybe they did, and their doctors came up with a different conclusion...

Saints - Don't be mad at the Dolphins for not doing your research for you...

Dolphins561 said:
I don't think it's dirty. It was our exam, we don't have to share that info. Unless the Saints want to pay for it...

And Saban's heads up to Cordon was classy... He didn't do it through the media, he called him.

This entire event was not dirty in my opinion. It's a sports business. And Saban was as up front as he could be. You don't give your competition any sort of advantage whether it's on the field, the draft, or free-agency...

Like I said in my post, depending on your position. Ask the Saints if they think hiding information about a FA in the middle of a bidding war with both sides ready to ink their name. It's dirty to the Saints, go ask them.

I can't help but laugh that the Saints didn't do their own rigorous tests and wonder why we didn't sign him after going after him so hard.

To quote Brees, 'everything happens for a reason'.

Back
Top Bottom