MERGED:Shedding some light on Brees - Culpepper\Brees failed physical

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by tmny99, Mar 20, 2006.

1. tmny99

tmny99 Glory Glory to Ole Georgia

Here is an excerpt from a Pasquarelli article on ESPN insider. It details the Brees/Culpepper events. Some have been speculating that Brees turned us down or that we "settled" for Culpepper. Neither seem to be accurate, any thoughts?

2. neospec

neospec Scout Team

love it..thanks

3. finmann

finmann Pro Bowler

Interesting.............

4. nyjunc

nyjunc Banned Hammered

You don't throw w/ your knee but you do need your legs to throw. Both are damaged goods at this point, Miami made the right call if they were scared by Bree's shoulder but you can't act like daunte is 100% ok and that his injury will not affect him.

5. dolphinsjayshaw

dolphinsjayshaw Starter

Great post, thanks for the info. Dispells some rumors that go around.

6. dolphinsjayshaw

dolphinsjayshaw Starter

Right, and the Jets will be the AFCE champs this year? Just playin with ya. But yes, we all know that there are risks associated with anyone coming off of an injury. Still, we can be confident he will recover just fine.

7. bigmiamifan

bigmiamifan Perennial All-Pro

Wow, so that's why the Saints are mad, Saban didn't share the medical exam with them. HAHA, that's kinda of dirty to them, but kinda of cool to Condon, so you can love or hate Saban depending on your position. Maybe Saban would rather have an agent 'owe him one'?

8. Dolphins561

Dolphins561 FinHeaven VIP

Exactly... Brees knows deep down he is not going to be able to start this season, and maybe he won't be as effective as he once was - Ala Pennington... He had to get the payday, because they may be few and far between. I hope he comes back strong, because I like Brees. I saw him play in Washington last year, and I was impressed with him. I just kind of see his better days behind him, but Culpepper's are about to come!

9. Dolphins561

I don't think it's dirty. It was our exam, we don't have to share that info. Unless the Saints want to pay for it...

And Saban's heads up to Cordon was classy... He didn't do it through the media, he called him.

This entire event was not dirty in my opinion. It's a sports business. And Saban was as up front as he could be. You don't give your competition any sort of advantage whether it's on the field, the draft, or free-agency...

10. MexDolfan

MexDolfan Seasoned Veteran

Very cool report!!!

11. JFoxx

JFoxx Seasoned Veteran

If all of that is true, then it sounds like Nick was extremely fair to Brees in how he handled it. I'd be mad if I were NO, but then again, why didn't their medical guys come to that conclusion ? Makes you wonder if they really put him through much, if any tests ? Also makes you wonder if they now know they have a big ?? at QB still, will they trade down or play it safe since they have a high draft pick and take a future franchise QB ? It would be a ironic if Brees found himself in the same situation as SD again ?
    :lol:

12. msg

msg Seasoned Veteran

I'd be absolutely pissed if I was the Saints, they paid full price without knowing he failed our physical. That's gotta be the reason for all this buyers remorse

13. BennyVW

BennyVW I'm the Man in the Box

Culpeppers already throwing. They had him on ESPN throwing some bombs...

14. Dolphins561

But why didn't the Saints use due care and do the same thing? I mean, this is a lot of money, and you should know what's under the hood before buying. The Saints should have put him through a medical exam the way Miami did... Maybe they did, and their doctors came up with a different conclusion...

Saints - Don't be mad at the Dolphins for not doing your research for you...

15. bigmiamifan

bigmiamifan Perennial All-Pro

Like I said in my post, depending on your position. Ask the Saints if they think hiding information about a FA in the middle of a bidding war with both sides ready to ink their name. It's dirty to the Saints, go ask them.

I can't help but laugh that the Saints didn't do their own rigorous tests and wonder why we didn't sign him after going after him so hard.

To quote Brees, 'everything happens for a reason'.

16. Dolphins561

I hear ya... I guess that's what I keep getting stuck on... I always said, "Shame on me for not doing my homework"... And I can understand the Saints are mad...

You're right... Everyone is going to have a different take on this...

17. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Seasoned Veteran

Why should NO be upset ....

They did their own physical didn't they ...

It's called business ....

18. Lappy

Lappy Speedwagon:3 am Crew!

Nice thread.

I can't believe the Saints wouldn't have put him threw more paces just to be sure.

I'm real excited for next year.

In other news Lappy has just been cut as starting QB of the Miami Dolphins and been replaced by Culpepper!........in my Madden league :(

19. Alex44

Alex44 Chicago Bears GM

:yeahthat:

Not to mention if the Saints wanted a medical report they should have done one themselves

20. GreenMachine

GreenMachine February Photoshop Winner

I find this thread very ironic... When you guys were in the hunt for Brees, I said he is not fully recovered and nobody knows when he will be... And I got flamed for it...Funny stuff

At least Saban and co. got it right by bringing in Daunte...

21. Lappy

It's hard to believe a Jets fan! :D

22. Rich22

Rich22 Phin DieHard!

NO was screwing us by offering a big $ contract before they even visited with Brees and checked him out. They drove his price up. IF they were stupid enough to not check him out we don't owe them anything. They were our competition. I'm glad they got what they deserved - they wanted to jump ahead of us and make a splash with Brees - well that was an awfully BIG splash! That's what happens when you sign a guy who was already over his head in Dallas as an OC to become your head coach.

23. jd13

jd13 Starter

don't the saints have their own medical staff?? why should saban call them?? i think in the end we ended up with the best qb...brees wanted more money and culpepper is ecstatic that he is a miami dolphin...i want guys that want to be here...and a knee injury is better than a shoulder injury...culpepper already started running...

24. laxcoach

laxcoach Pirate Lacrosse King

I suspect if the Saints are upset it is because we kept the Culpepper deal quiet long enough for Brees to take their offer. They would have had the leverage to re-open negotiations. I doubt it has to do with our medical evaluation.

The other half of it has to be Mueller. Maybe they think he owes them something. Maybe they think he was spitefull. Regardless, the fact that Mueller helped a player rather than an ex-employer probably pssed them off.

25. JTech194

JTech194 Starter

yea but knee injuries are dime a dozen in the NFL, and many players come back from them just as good or better than they were before. This is not really the case with shoulder injuries expecially to QB's so I think signing a QB with a busted knee over a QB with a busted shoulder is the smart thing to do, especially when the Busted shouldered QB is asking fo $10M

26. finmann

finmann Pro Bowler

I really can't feel sorry for the Saints, when we got Ricky from them I remember all the negative post that they wrote about us and Ricky, how we got shafted and we can have him....etc..etc. I am not going to wish them luck, they are a lousy team and a lousy organization. Hopefully Brees goes there and sucks it up.

27. nyjunc

nyjunc Banned Hammered

I agree there, if they didn't like what they saw in Brees' shoulder they made the right call.

28. Lappy

I'm sure NO would have done a medical and purhapes they were even concerned as Miami was. However they believed Miami was interested and in the game; and had to make a move and did.

You don't win in poker every hand.

29. Oraclepz

Oraclepz Seasoned Veteran

pay back for robbing us in the ricky trade...!!!:dolphins:

30. Aqua and Orange

Aqua and Orange Poster With A Porpoise Finheaven VIP Donator

Awesome post. Saban rocks the casbah. Thank the lord we didnt gamble on a bad arm.

31. PhinsRock

PhinsRock A True Fan

Saban handled this with the same great smarts he handles everything, and his actions further my belief that while he's tough, he's also a "players coach". Not only did he curry favor with Brees and his agent, but he kept his cards close to the vest in true Saban way.

No way should Saban have shared our info with NO, any team other than Miami IS the enemy, period.

If NO were smart, they would us their high draft pick to secure a franchise QB. First as backup in case Brees' injury turns out like Pennington's, but also because no matter what Brees' recovery is like, NO is years away from being competitive and need time to groom said franchise QB because they are so far away from winning Brees will be old by the time NO might become a winner.

In Saban We Trust!

32. AquaAssasin

AquaAssasin Pro Bowler

I think the saints were trying to see if Miami's medical staff for all the dirty work. Its possible and if thats true then thats they're fault for not using there own staff for an eval.

They cant be mad at nobody but themselves..

33. GazPhin

GazPhin Brannigan Begin Again

Two words - due diligence.

Appears we did it and New Orleans didn't. Good business for us, bad business for them. I like what we're doin' but Brees could defy the odd, come back strong and prove us wrong...

...and maybe later on monkeys 'll fly out my but.

34. fin1

fin1 Guest

Interesting comment from a dude who's team has a quarterback with no arms. Don't act like Pennigton is 30% ok with his injuries. Can you say Ramsey?:lol: Jets suck, prepare for the slaughter.................Watch the espn clip. Looks pretty damn good to me for the stage he's supposed to be at. I had an ACL repaired and I couldn't walk for weeks.

35. fin1

fin1 Guest

Why don't you worry about your no armed quarterback. No one knew about the extent of the injury until the medical staff determined that for themselves. Plus you're a jets fan nobody on this site takes you seriously. That should scare you because it clearly shows the difference between organizations. We do our homework and NO throws money around. Jets should have sent Pennigton to miami for a workout before re-signing him.

PS- Good luck w Ramsey next year.:sidelol:

36. phinsfan84

phinsfan84 remember ur 1st chance may be ur last

Bress Failed Physical ?!?!?

guys I found this on bress on phinfever there sayin he didnt really want to pick N.O. b/c he wanted to but more b/c he had actually failed a physical for the phins.

Heres the article from phinfever on their message board :
    sorry didnt know if it has been posted yet just wondering if anyone else had heard about this yet?

37. Puffboy(ricky)

Puffboy(ricky) MVP sextoy

I had not seen that, thanks.

38. Dolphins561

39. KevInMotion

KevInMotion Running @ 24 FPS

hadnt read that yet. thank you very much phinsfan84

40. County Of Dade

County Of Dade I sell chronic to Ricky

This article makes alot more sense. We all saw the "Brees leaning towards Miami" articles and figured it was only a matter of time before we signed him. If what the article says is true, and it sounds credible, then its just another case of Saban doing the right thing for the team, even when its not the most popular thing to do at the time.

If Brees knows he cant play this year, or isnt sure, and he fleeced the Saints out of all that money, then he and his agent are scumbags.

Jetties fans, you guys are pathetic. Thanks for coming on here to give us your medical opinions. You sound like you are hoping against hope that Daunte fails. Its sad that this is all your organization has to hold on to now. Well, sad for you. I'm loving it