Merged: The John Beck Value Thread

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by dlockz, Feb 13, 2009.

?

What is John Beck's trade value?

1. 1st rounder

12 vote(s)
    4.4%
  2. 2nd rounder

6 vote(s)
    2.2%
  3. 3rd rounder

19 vote(s)
    7.0%
  4. 4th rounder

54 vote(s)
    19.8%
  5. 5th rounder

62 vote(s)
    22.7%
  6. 6th rounder

63 vote(s)
    23.1%
  7. 7th rounder

35 vote(s)
    12.8%
  8. no trade value at all

22 vote(s)
    8.1%
  1. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Since a Beck thread is always popular lets see what the popular opinion is on this board. Please explain your reasoning on his value so we can have your insight. This is not meant as a bashathon, I want serious answers.
    I say he has a value of a 7th round pick just based on his lack of success and his being a third string qb. I feel there are other options in free agency that will not cost a pick like Charlie Frye that are much better options than trading a pick. Not many teams want to take on a 28 year old qb that is still as raw as any guy you could draft. This is not based on you think Beck's sucks or was not given a chance this is based on what you think his actual trade value would be.

I said 7th because Charlie Frye was a starting qb a few weeks before he was traded and he got a 6th. So I am just going by NFL recent history on trades.

2. Nublar7

Nublar7 Retired Finheaven VIP

I think if we play our cards right, we could maybe get a 5th round pick. I think Beck will stay unless they get the value they want.

3. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

4. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Well Im pretty sure the value they want is somewhere around a 4th or a 5th. Thats pretty realistic. I personally would rather keep him than trade him for a low pick. Pennington could go down and then we have a qb with experience with this team as the backup. What really hurt Beck's value is his lack of snaps in preseason. 11 passes is very low even for a third stringer.

5. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Lets see how long it remains civil lol. Personally I have an honest curiousity how its viewed on this site overall. Not just me and a select few. The sad thing is no matter what I say I am always accused of hate.
    So lets see what the board says as a whole. I would definately like to know more to what people think than so and so sucks or he was not given a chance which has nothing to do with trade value.

6. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Okay third rounder guy please give a reason you think he is worth a third rounder same with the no value.

7. CedarPhin

CedarPhin Finheaven Hall of Shame Hammered

6th rounder.

8. juniorseau55

juniorseau55 The Finheaven Intimidator

Double Cheeseburger with cheese, fries, and a small coke. If we don't showcase him then we can get an apple pie.

9. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

The reinvented piping hot apple pie or the sorry flaky apple pie. I mean there is a big differance lol.

10. Bofin

Bofin Starter

maybe a 5th because there will be personnell people who think he was surrounded by a loosing atmosphere, and 1-15 coaching and talent. he was a 2nd round pick after all. i doubt we could get more at this point, maybe less.

11. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 FinHeaven VIP

I'll say a 6th rounder at best. Henne got the garbage snaps this year in the Arizona and New England games.

Beck's age, being prone to fumble - sometimes spontaneously (Buffalo & Cincinnati in '07), heighth - or lack thereof, delivery issues, and the fact that he got 6,000+ snaps of work in the offseason and still couldn't hold off Chad Henne or Josh McCown during TC prior to Pennington's arrival will drop his value significantly.

Beck is a luxury pickup as a backup. That team that would make the move must be thin at QB. Just looking at Beck - he's somewhat mobile, and he's fairly accurate. I'd say he wouldn't cost you a game, but his being prone to fumble is a red flag. Just based off his pro career so far, you wouldn't want to have to put him in, but he's there if comes to that.

I still question just how good he really was in college. Max Hall has looked just as good in that system offense.

At the end of the day, you're going to get a guy who is going to work his tail off and be a team player, but he doesn't possess much in the way of natural ability.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2009
  12. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Im just not sure what the second round pick really means anymore. Rex Grossman, JP Losman and Kyle Boller were all 1st rounders but had basically no major trade value. patrick Ramsey basically the same.

13. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Personally I think MAx Hall has looked better. Beck's top receivers were his RB and TE.

14. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 FinHeaven VIP

I'll be honest, I don't know the breakdown of who Beck completed passes to, but Hall looked like a decent player to me - enough to draw a fair comparison. Austin Collie is a player who really stood out.

15. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

I did the research and it was Rb's and Te. Collie is a very good prospect, I think hall may be a better NFL prospect longterm than Beck.

16. Phishpunk@WCU

Phishpunk@WCU King of Fools Finheaven VIP Donator

Beck best value is trading him for another player. We will lose a lot if we look for a draft pick out of him.

17. CedarPhin

CedarPhin Finheaven Hall of Shame Hammered

They've got a good system there. Both QBs were products of it.

18. Bofin

Bofin Starter

the value of the 2nd to me means some folks who call themselves experts, i'm not in that field, believe he had some tools to work with. you could be spot on though, at this point it could be completely meaningless.

19. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Well thats true to a degree but Hall has definately hit his wide receivers at a much higher percentage. Beck never had a wide receiver catch over 50 balls. Collie also is better than any BYU receiver maybe ever though. During Beck's best season receivers were not used very often with the best having 28 receptions while the runningback and Te had like 60 catches.

20. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

I think we need to do a drug test, someone said 1st rounder. Im not sure they are sober. To each tier own. I just dont understand how he increased in value.

21. feelthepain

feelthepain Banned Hammered

Beck is worth whatever a team is willing to pay and Miami accepts.

22. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Wow that really is quite an opinion. Thats like saying to someone. Where do you think josh Freeman is drafted. And you answer is whereever he is drafted is the position that he is drafted lol. So you must have been the one who chose first rounder .

23. Geforce

Geforce FinHeaven VIP

If you are going to try and be factual atleast try and get it right. Beck did not get 6,000+ work of snaps during the off-season. According to Henning, Beck threw somewhere between 6,000 and 7,000 passes to try to raise his release point to where it was before he injured his shoulder in college. Getting 6,000+ snaps would emply that actully plays/pass patterns were run with other players involved.

24. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Good point, although many this board gave Beck the starting position in the offseason based on this point.

25. BLITZKRIEG

BLITZKRIEG ~LACUNA LEGIONS~

NONE. I wouldn't give up a bag of Doritos for Beck...

IN TUNA WE TRUST!!.....

26. Geforce

Geforce FinHeaven VIP

Dan Henning did mention in a Sun-Sentinel article last June that Beck was the favorite to start.

Beck did start the in the team's first intrasquad scrimmage as well as the first preseason game so I can understand why many thought this way.

27. Bofin

Bofin Starter

not even one of those little snack bags that only have 7 chips in there??

28. BLITZKRIEG

BLITZKRIEG ~LACUNA LEGIONS~

Nope. I'd rather keep my small bag, and release his lame ###.....

IN TUNA WE TRUST....

29. Bofin

Bofin Starter

on another note,,, i hope you will be putting out those great camp reports blitz, its appreciated.

30. feelthepain

Sorry to disappoint, I'm not going to pretend I know more than the people who actually make the decisions on players value like some on this site. Beck is a commodity as such his value is about supply and demand. The less supply the higher the demand. The more the supply the lower the demand. It's really very simple. As for Becks ability to play, I'll bet not one team in the league is thinking Beck can or can't play at this level by simply looking at his 5 starts. I just thought I'd throw that in cause I know for a fact some here us it to determine Becks value to the market.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2009
  31. feelthepain

Well I don't remember anyone asking you what you would pay for Beck.

32. Bofin

Bofin Starter

my interpretation of this thread was market value,,, that is correct dlockz??

33. godolphins1985

godolphins1985 WILDCARD

Ide say no more than a 4th and thats pushing it i think.

34. JsBaugh

JsBaugh Banned Hammered

I would say 4-5 round. Becks main issue is his age at this point. It would be different if he were a few years younger. Then a team might invest more in it.

Max Hall is not a better QB than Beck. I have watched just about every BYU game for the past 5 years. Even though Beck used the back and TE a lot those were not short completions nor dump-offs. Hall has one of the best WR and TE in the country and a lot of his yards came from Collie turning a 15 yard pass into 60 yard TD.

35. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

although the coach said various times that they would rotate as starters in practice and in games.

36. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

correct, not what u personally think of him but what is his market value as in trade value.

37. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Well I disagree I see Hall as good a prospect if not better than Beck. Lets not forget when you throw to a back or a TE its not about a dumpoff or not its about who is covering the back or TE. No team lines up thier best corner on a Wr no matter how deep you are throwing. Beck also had a pretty damn good receiver in Watkins and a good Te in harline.

38. 3rdandinches

3rdandinches Seasoned Veteran

I put a 7th rounder and I thought that was pretty generous. Fergy a proven starting NT was got for a 6th, two backups (Fasano,Akin) were had for a 5th or 4th I can't completely remember. So how can a 3rd string QB that was beaten out of the 2nd spot by a rookie be worth anything more than a 7th. If he was 23 or so maybe be bumps up to a 6th but he's not he's 28 and will need a minimum of 3 years before he could do anything as a starter. I truely believe if the FO can get anything for him then right then and there they should be given the FO of the year. Now let Beck get some injury time and show some improvement then that's a different story but we have to base his value in what he's done so far.

39. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

I see that as right on. if maybe he had played more in preseason he might have some positive buzz. The Jets 4th stringer played more than our third stringer. In fact he was bumped to third stringer in like a week of actual competition. That does not bode as positive buzz. Also Ferguson was not going to start anyway over Ratliff so he would have been 2nd string.

40. 3rdandinches

3rdandinches Seasoned Veteran

Yes I agree about Fergy and Ratliff but I was just pointing out that he has been a starter and good at it compared with Beck starting and only proving he couldn't handle it, that's all.