MERGED: The Official 2007 New York Yankees Thread! | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGED: The Official 2007 New York Yankees Thread!

that's not quite what i'm hearing... 4-6 weeks on Wang... but, ok...

further, wasn't Pettitte ruled out of opening day because of back spasms?

Late April return. If this were October or late in the year he could be back after 10 days. But since its no worry, its early, the season hasn't started they aren't going to rush him back!!!

no big worry?... interesting...

anyhow, who starts opening day? Pavano?

We're not worrying because we don't win divisions in April. We leave that to the Red Sox. At the end of the day who cares if it's Pavano. By the time Wang gets back the Yankees will still have what, 140 games left? Plenty of time for everyone to return and make their impact. We'll let out pitchers get injured in April and we'll let yours get hurt in August again. Enjoy your 10th April division title in a row though!

Today is Carl Pavano's last spring start before he most likely starts the season for the Yankees opening day. He's had a sub-par spring but it's good just to see him out there pitching. He's going to have to step on the mound at Yankee Stadium eventually, looks like it's going to be opening day. He's got a real good chance of winning the fans over with a good performance. I can't wait for Monday!

Today is Carl Pavano's last spring start before he most likely starts the season for the Yankees opening day. He's had a sub-par spring but it's good just to see him out there pitching. He's going to have to step on the mound at Yankee Stadium eventually, looks like it's going to be opening day. He's got a real good chance of winning the fans over with a good performance. I can't wait for Monday!

Man I hate the Yankees :lol: but good luck this season. Anyway about Pavano:

He pitched very well in Florida, but before that he wasn't anything special so you have to wonder if he was just a flash in the pan type player or a late bloomer. Beyond that you have to wonder how he will adjust to pitching in the AL. I think we can all agree Beckett has more talent than Pavano and blew up last season. However Pavano is a 'smarter' pitcher who isn't just trying to throw everything passed guys.

Aside from that you have to wonder if he will be healthy enough all season to truely make an impact. Anyway if he stays healthy and adjusts well to the AL he should be a good #3 starter type. I can't see him dominating the AL enough to be a #1 or #2 guy though.

Man I hate the Yankees :lol: but good luck this season. Anyway about Pavano:

He pitched very well in Florida, but before that he wasn't anything special so you have to wonder if he was just a flash in the pan type player or a late bloomer. Beyond that you have to wonder how he will adjust to pitching in the AL. I think we can all agree Beckett has more talent than Pavano and blew up last season. However Pavano is a 'smarter' pitcher who isn't just trying to throw everything passed guys.

Aside from that you have to wonder if he will be healthy enough all season to truely make an impact. Anyway if he stays healthy and adjusts well to the AL he should be a good #3 starter type. I can't see him dominating the AL enough to be a #1 or #2 guy though.

Well the thing you have to remember about Pavano is that he's a 4th or 5th starter on the Yankees (in the long run that is), so as long as he keeps them in games and wins the one's he's supposed to, the Yankees will be fine. With Florida he was thrust to the top of the rotation because Beckett and Burnett could never stay healthy and he thrived in that role. He also pitched big in the playoffs for the Marlins in 03 and dominated some pretty damn good line-ups (the Yankees line-up included), so that shows you the potential he has. I think today Beckett has more talent then Pavano because he's actually been on the mound the past 2 seasons but with that said, Beckett has never had the type of season Pavano did in 04 and has never pitched 200 innings back to back. Right now I don't think Pavano is better then Beckett but I think if he stays healthy he could be as good. He's not as dominating as Beckett but he's as good, if not a better pitcher so I think he's capable of getting 12 wins for the Yankees. Either way though Pavano is an upgrade over the 5th starters the Yankees have had in the past. Remember, the Yankees went like 2 months or so last year without a win from their 5th starter. The first one they had in months was Cory Lidle's first start as a Yankee!

First off this "OPENING DAY" thing getting way overblown. The "OPENING DAY" game doesn't count twice or have any extra meaning. It's just 1 of 162.

Second, Pettite is going to pitch in that first series next week. It's not like he's got some huge injury here.

Third, I've seen the Yanks win this division with a far worst starting rotation. The fact its April and none of these injuries are major doesn't worry me in the least.

Plus we can go buy Roger Clemans at any point so......lol

First off this "OPENING DAY" thing getting way overblown. The "OPENING DAY" game doesn't count twice or have any extra meaning. It's just 1 of 162.

Second, Pettite is going to pitch in that first series next week. It's not like he's got some huge injury here.

Third, I've seen the Yanks win this division with a far worst starting rotation. The fact its April and none of these injuries are major doesn't worry me in the least.

Plus we can go buy Roger Clemans at any point so......lol

I wonder how much it would cost just to buy him to pitch opening day :lol: one game contract.

I agree though, opening day is what it is. One game. It counts the same as any other game though if you lose the division by one game.

A win is a win regardless of when and a loss is a loss is my point. They all matter.

How good is Roger Clemans feeling right now

Boston just moved Papelbon to the bullpen, opening up a rotation spot

Yanks have some injuries to their rotation.

His agent must wet himself every 25 seconds thinking of the money about to be thrown his way!!

Pitching aside, Josh Phelps should make this team. He hit another homerun this today, is hitting .438 in the spring, and seems rejuvinated. I like Phillips but he hasn't earned the position over Phelps, especially with is 4 strikeouts today. For once Torre needs to do the right thing and pick the guy who earned the position, not the guy who he likes better. Phelps could be one of those guys who puts on the pinstripes and rejuvinates himself like Leiber, Small, Ruben Sierra, Flaherty, ect. As a matter of fact Phelps has earned the starting nod over Mientkiewicz IMO but since A-Rod needs a buddy on the team, we already know Mientkiewicz will be the starter!

We're not worrying because we don't win divisions in April. We leave that to the Red Sox. At the end of the day who cares if it's Pavano. By the time Wang gets back the Yankees will still have what, 140 games left? Plenty of time for everyone to return and make their impact. We'll let out pitchers get injured in April and we'll let yours get hurt in August again. Enjoy your 10th April division title in a row though!

how yankee-ish of you to act indignant and turn an innocuos obersvation into a opportunity to get nasty... very well.... your pitching staff has major holes... april, or october... :cooldude:

I'm going to Yankee Stadium for the first time on April 8, and I'll probably have to watch Pavano disintegrate on the mound.

Big UPSTAIRS shake-up coming. George's daughter getting divorced with Swindal.

Swindal will be out of the picture totally. George will pass off the franchise to one of his sons when its over for him.

and Pavano was dumped by his girlfriend!

Back
Top Bottom