Merged: The Official Nnamdi Asomugha Thread | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: The Official Nnamdi Asomugha Thread

Shouldn't this thread be moved to general NFL. He doesn't play for the Dolphins anymore. Miami hasn't expressed any interest in him. I fail to see the relevance.

Shouldn't this thread be moved to general NFL. He doesn't play for the Dolphins anymore. Miami hasn't expressed any interest in him. I fail to see the relevance.

You will. If Washington cuts him he will be in New England. Mark my words.

Hes not like Zach, Zach wouldnt go to NE just on principal. JT would though. Remember he would have traded our entire roster for Tom Brady.

Asomugha may hit FA afterall

Oak money on 2009 book: Oakland ($116 million).
Projected Cap for 2009: 124 million
http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_football_dolphins/2009/02/nfl-cap-space-in-2009.html

Cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha was an exclusive franchise player last year at $9.765 million. He reportedly cleaned out his locker at the end of the season, and now the Raiders have to use an $11.7 million tag to keep him.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80eba064&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

116 + 11.7 = 127.7 million, that would put Oak 3.7 million over the cap..and that's without signing draftees and any FA's.

So unless they cut a lot of players, it would be tough to Franchise him..

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_football_dolphins/2009/02/nfl-cap-space-in-2009.html

Cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha was an exclusive franchise player last year at $9.765 million. He reportedly cleaned out his locker at the end of the season, and now the Raiders have to use an $11.7 million tag to keep him.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80eba064&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

116 + 11.7 = 127.7 million, that would put Oak 3.7 million over the cap..and that's without signing draftees and any FA's.

And they put themselves in that spot with Tommy Kelly and Javon Walker...wow!

He's only a cornerback, and would be too expensive for what his true value actually would be. We have much more immediate needs on this team such as nose tackle, possibly right tackle, center, wide receiver, and then cornerback. We can improve in the secondary for sure, but don't need to break the bank for one, honestly.

I used to really think elite corners were important, and certainly if you have one, it's a nice thing to have. But, the more I watch the really good defenses, the Giants of 07, last years ravens and Steelers, and titans, etc. they all have one thing in common. Decent corners for sure, and in the case of Baltimore, Ed Reed who's like from another planet, but what really makes those defenses great is:

1. You can't run on them

2. Disruptive at the line of scrimmage with their tackles and ends. In particular, their tackles. Albert haynesworth, Casey Hampton, Haloti Ngata anyone?

3. Incredible pass rushing and run stopping linebackers

The secondary is good, but probably looks better than they actually are because of the above 3 points.

I guess what i'm trying to say, is that whilst I agree it would be nice to have a really good corner to help us not get embarassed by the Larry fitzgeralds and randy Moss's of the world, it doesn't make sense to break the bank for one, when in reality, those guys can't be stopped by any of the corners out there anyways, but rather get stopped by stopping the run, making the team one dimensional, and then by hitting the quarter back from up the middle, all sides, early and often and that means, a nose tackle, and pass rushing ends and linebackers.

That's what we need to invest in more than anything on the defensive side of the ball IMHO.

I'd absolutely LOVE to have him. Just not by breaking the bank.

He's only a cornerback, and would be too expensive for what his true value actually would be. We have much more immediate needs on this team such as nose tackle, possibly right tackle, center, wide receiver, and then cornerback. We can improve in the secondary for sure, but don't need to break the bank for one, honestly.

I used to really think elite corners were important, and certainly if you have one, it's a nice thing to have. But, the more I watch the really good defenses, the Giants of 07, last years ravens and Steelers, and titans, etc. they all have one thing in common. Decent corners for sure, and in the case of Baltimore, Ed Reed who's like from another planet, but what really makes those defenses great is:

1. You can't run on them

2. Disruptive at the line of scrimmage with their tackles and ends. In particular, their tackles. Albert haynesworth, Casey Hampton, Haloti Ngata anyone?

3. Incredible pass rushing and run stopping linebackers

The secondary is good, but probably looks better than they actually are because of the above 3 points.

I guess what i'm trying to say, is that whilst I agree it would be nice to have a really good corner to help us not get embarassed by the Larry fitzgeralds and randy Moss's of the world, it doesn't make sense to break the bank for one, when in reality, those guys can't be stopped by any of the corners out there anyways, but rather get stopped by stopping the run, making the team one dimensional, and then by hitting the quarter back from up the middle, all sides, early and often and that means, a nose tackle, and pass rushing ends and linebackers.

That's what we need to invest in more than anything on the defensive side of the ball IMHO.

while I agree with you, I remember how many sacks Madison and Surtain helped Jason taylor get. That hesitation that a QB takes with a shutdown corner gives the DL just that extra second to get there. So many times this year the DL was just a half step from the sack when the QB let the ball go because of a breakdown in coverage.. While I agree a good DL with blitzes can cause havoc, even the steelers had a hard time with the Cardinals in the SB, and the Champs had the number 1 D. But if they had a shut down corner to stop Fitz.. that would have really made their jobs easier.. With Moss in our division it would be nice to not worry about him and then stop Welker.. Same with Evans in Buffalo, and Cole in NY.. that would reduce a lot of problems on D. Then we could concentrate on their secondary weapons to shut them down.. I know with the Cards you have Fritz and Boldin and that's really hard to shut down..but if you can take one away, that leaves 3 guys to shut down the other.. But as you say and our D told us all year long, it starts with shutting down the run..and I believe that too.. but NE put up 400 yards with their backup QB, the KC had a Field day, the Jet's in the first game, Denver put up 300, thank God their D couldn't stop us from running when it was cruch time, and Houston cost us, when we couldn't handle a 4th and 13 with a DB right there...so I see us needing one good CB..and a 5-7 million a year salary.. and he's the only FA corner I'd spend that kind of money for.. If robinson and a couple others get out there..sure, but not at that price..

Allen is getting up their in age and I rather have a shot at Asomugha then drafting a bc...this guy is the real deal....

I would rather bring back the best player in dolphin history , MR. Randy Mcmichael

he spent more time training then jason and he also put zach in a headlock and gave him a noogie then he marched up to Wanny's office and asked to play qb , he even went as far as to tell dave that he could throw the football farther hanging from a 10 cent balloon then what jay could.
needless to say wanny told Randy to go and sumitt to a drug test.
hell Mcmichael was the only player that even stood up to wanny so we really ought bring him back and give him the key to the city.

ok just teasing but it was true that Randy told wanny that and dave fell out of his chair .

Great player, but this guy could potentially obtain the biggest defensive contract of all time. Combine that with, Parcells will not be known as the guy who handed out the biggest defensive contract of all time, and it's pretty easy to see why Asomugha will not be a fin.

Would love to have him, but we won't pay enough for him. I do agree though we need another solid cb, and Will Allen is getting up in age. I also believe Allen is a decent number one corner, but would be a great number 2 if we had a shutdown corner like Asomugha.

Back
Top Bottom