Merged: The Results Are In: Worst Draft Pick as Polled by Finheaven Gurus???? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: The Results Are In: Worst Draft Pick as Polled by Finheaven Gurus????

cuban_refugee said:
1. Yatil Green
2. Sammie Smith

then there's a host of people:

Billy Milner
Jamar Fletcher
John Avery
What's the name of the OU QB we drafted in later rounds? he sucked ***.

Josh Heupel

OneHondo said:
Ask some of the older fans about the saga of Kentucky Quarterback Rick Norton who was drafted by the Dolphins as the second coming of Joe Namath in the Dolphins 1st round of the Dolphins first AFL draft. Rick Norton has to be the all time biggest flop. Then there was Mike Kadish also a 1st round bust.

You are wrong there Hondo. Mike Kadish was traded to the Bills for Irv Goode in his sophomore season and went on to have a stellar career with them and win MVP honors.

FansinceJan'72 said:
probably Dan Marino cause we could've traded up and took Elway and won a couple Super Bowls.
u must not be a dolfins fan. he was one of the best picks of all time if not the best.

Without a doubt Jackie Shipp. We went from our greatest value pick in 1983, Dan Marino, to the worst flop we ever had in 1984.

The guys most often mentioned in this thread were either stopped by injuries, which really wasn't their fault, or just ridiculous picks like Avery, who at 5'9" and 180 lbs never had a chance.

Shipp, on the other hand, was a heralded LB from Oklahoma, had the right size and combine type numbers, was drafted in the first round, and never did anything. He couldn't comprehend the play book and just faded away. He did worse than most developmental squad guys. Shipp also can't blame injuries...he simply was unmotivated and unable to grasp the NFL game. Hey, you can't fix stupid.

All R/B's John Avery & Sammie Smith & Cecil Collins a close second

Phins28 said:
Josh Heupel

I know that your answer a question , but the guy was a 6th or 7th rounder. Not the worst. Like I said , not pointing that answer at you.

i know Josh Heupel was picked in the later rounds, but I could have told you he wouldn't have made it in the NFL as a player. Poor mechanics and he only looked good b/c of OUs great running game. We could have taken a stab at someone else. There are still quality players in the 6th and 7th rds.

I will go with Sammie Smith as the biggest bust and worst draft pick being Jackie Shipp. Everything about the Smith pick seemed right but he did very little for us Shipp on the other hand seemed like a bust from the beginning and you cannot afford to take a guy this high who doesnt even play at all.

Avery in no way was our biggest bust. He gained over 500 yards his rookie year and did not start one single game. He wasn't great but it was still quite stupid to trade him to Denver for a guy who had caught 4 passes in his career that we knew was not going to make our team. JJ Johnson almost singlehandedly sent us to the bottom for a while with his bonehead decisions. Avery played solid for a late first round pick, we gave up on him because he was not dedicating himself enough to be better.

Dolfndude said:
Yatil Green hands down. Top 15 pick with 2 career catches! Wasn't his fault, but he was the biggest waste of pick. At least Sammie Smith and Jamar were on the field!!!:tantrum:

I think a bad pick is more of a pick that got the chance to play and blew it

injuries... everyone team have draft pick have career ending injuries

themole said:
You are wrong there Hondo. Mike Kadish was traded to the Bills for Irv Goode in his sophomore season and went on to have a stellar career with them and win MVP honors.
Your right, I stand corrected, I think it was Reese I may have been thinking of who had personal problems that spoiled his career.

you know what's funny..... Josh Heupel was picked 177 overall in 2001. Renaldo Hill who we got this offseason was overall pick 202 in the same draft (same round) - maybe we could have picked him from the beginning!

cuban_refugee said:
sorry - Renaldo Hill was picked in the 7th round.

- I'm sorry , I have to ask..that's not you in your avatar?

Back
Top Bottom