Merged X12: Ongoing Henne vs. Sanchez Debate... | Page 21 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged X12: Ongoing Henne vs. Sanchez Debate...

I left Mr. Graham on that post of his. What I said, more or less, was to get back to me when:
a) Sanchez has a fourth-quarter comeback under his belt (he has zero in his career while Henne has three)

And sanchez has 2 palyoff wins while Henne has zero, I think this is more important than comebacks which are purely sentimental.

b) Sanchez completes anywhere near 60 percent of his passes (Henne is well over that both for his career and this season)

c) The season completely unfolds (4-5 games does not a season make)

Sanchez is certainly showing signs of improvement (particularly in terms of not throwing costly INTs) but he still hasn't shown an ability to make big plays when the game is on the line (he completely disappeared this past Monday in the second half when the game was on the line).

I seem to remember Sanchez throwing a TD pass to retake the lead against the dolphins after they had just taken the lead. I also remember him scrambling and throwing a touchdown pass to take the lead against the chargers in the playoffs, not to mention another touch down to take the lead against the bengals in the playoffs, and wouldn't you know it, he did the same thing in the AFC championship game as well. heck even the go ahead touchdown against the patriots in week 2. and he disappeared in the second half when the jets barely had the ball not to mention he had to throw during that torrential monsoon that was going on during the game.

I'd say that both he and Henne need to continue progressing quite a bit before either can be proclaimed as franchise QBs. That said, both have shown promising signs (Henne is definitely winning the competition between the two through 4-5 games).

Really? Only a dolphin fan would say this, everyone else, even the unbiased can see Sanchez is performing better.

Sanchez's 8 touchdowns 0 interceptions as opposed to....... Henne's 5 touchdowns 4 interceptions

these are the two most important stats for a quarterback. I could care less if a quarterback has a lower completion percentage than another one as long as he throws more touchdowns and fewer picks, and Sanchez is doing that, not to mention Sanchez is throwing down field more than Henne is, anyone can complete a 5-10 yard out.

Are you telling me youd rather have the QB that threw 5 tds 4 picks and has a 65% completion percentage than the qb that has 8 tds 0 picks and a 55% completion percentage? Too bad this game is about scoring points and not simply completing passes.

And Sanchez has the better overall QB rating anyway. There is a reason people are grumbling for Pennington to start over Henne and there is a reason Mark Brunell is an invisible man and never talked about.

And sanchez has 2 palyoff wins while Henne has zero, I think this is more important than comebacks which are purely sentimental.

I seem to remember Sanchez throwing a TD pass to retake the lead against the dolphins after they had just taken the lead. I also remember him scrambling and throwing a touchdown pass to take the lead against the chargers in the playoffs, not to mention another touch down to take the lead against the bengals in the playoffs, and wouldn't you know it, he did the same thing in the AFC championship game as well. heck even the go ahead touchdown against the patriots in week 2. and he disappeared in the second half when the jets barely had the ball not to mention he had to throw during that torrential monsoon that was going on during the game.

Really? Only a dolphin fan would say this, everyone else, even the unbiased can see Sanchez is performing better.

Sanchez's 8 touchdowns 0 interceptions as opposed to....... Henne's 5 touchdowns 4 interceptions

these are the two most important stats for a quarterback. I could care less if a quarterback has a lower completion percentage than another one as long as he throws more touchdowns and fewer picks, and Sanchez is doing that, not to mention Sanchez is throwing down field more than Henne is, anyone can complete a 5-10 yard out.

Are you telling me youd rather have the QB that threw 5 tds 4 picks and has a 65% completion percentage than the qb that has 8 tds 0 picks and a 55% completion percentage? Too bad this game is about scoring points and not simply completing passes.

And Sanchez has the better overall QB rating anyway. There is a reason people are grumbling for Pennington to start over Henne and there is a reason Mark Brunell is an invisible man and never talked about.

Lets see how Sanchez does when his team is actually down 2-3 scores.

Sanchez got off to a hot start last year too. When the weather worsens and those lucky almost INTs turn into actual INTs, Sanchez will come back to Earth. He's improved tremendously since last season, but his performance has been greatly overrated. He's near the bottom of the league in both yards per attempt and completion percentage. I'll say that he's no longer outright a bad QB like he was last year, but he's no more than average at this point. But that's really all the Jets need, so who knows? Maybe it'll work for them.

Hmmm...where should I start?

At some point in a young person's education, they learn about debate, lines of argument, and logic. And one of the basic concepts within that education is that you can't make a comparison between to unrelated things or two things that cannot be compared on the same basis.

You can't compare Sanchez' playoff performance to Henne because Henne's team has never been to the playoffs (there's no basis for comparison). That's like saying that Trent Dilfer was a better quarterback than Dan Fouts because Dilfer won a Super Bowl game while Fouts never played in one.

As for your comments on Henne vs. Sanchez in the completion percentage department, I'm not sure what you're understanding. Maybe some caps lock will help. SANCHEZ HAS CAREER COMPLETION PERCENTAGE WELL BELOW 50 PERCENT WHILE HENNE HAS A CAREER COMPLETION PERCENTAGE OF WELL OVER 60 PERCENT. WE'RE NOT TALKING ABOUT JUST THE 4-5 GAMES THIS SEASON.

Let's see? What else can we pick apart while I'm at it...

You mention some examples of Sanchez making big plays when it counts, and you're right, he has made some big plays at times, but the bottom line is that he has yet to lead a game-winning drive. You can't argue that. It's pretty simple really. Hell, if we're going to just mention big plays, Henne has plenty of those. Hell most quarterbacks do (including career backups). My point is that while Sanchez is certainly improving, he has yet to prove that he can put together game winning drives late in games. He simply has not done it yet (doesn't mean that he won't, just that he hasn't done so consistently yet).

As for your last comment about "only a Dolphins fan", etc...I'm extremely confused.

Are you somehow disagreeing with my assessment that Sanchez has to continue progressing in order to prove that he's a franchise quarterback? If so, then I can only assume that it's you that's displaying homerism because Sanchez is far from a proven commodity at this point.

P.S. Just in case I wasn't crystal clear, Sanchez is playing very well thus far this season but both he and Henne need to continue developing if they want to become elite, franchise-caliber quarterbacks. It's simply too early to come to any final conclusions on either player.

Lol after a few games everyone wants to suck sanchez' chode! Let the season tell the story. Everyone on Mark needs to step back and look at the surroundings. It's hard to even muster up the effort to post with so much garbage spewed all the time

TrollSprayBillyMays-1.jpg

SORRY NO WAY, the guy is rex grossman, the new york media is trying to make him tom brady already,

Sanchez got off to a hot start last year too. When the weather worsens and those lucky almost INTs turn into actual INTs, Sanchez will come back to Earth. He's improved tremendously since last season, but his performance has been greatly overrated. He's near the bottom of the league in both yards per attempt and completion percentage. I'll say that he's no longer outright a bad QB like he was last year, but he's no more than average at this point. But that's really all the Jets need, so who knows? Maybe it'll work for them.
I can count 4 near INTs and only watched two of Mark's games..., these will balance out the writer was biased saying he was looking after the ball

I can count 4 near INTs and only watched two of Mark's games..., these will balance out the writer was biased saying he was looking after the ball
Not arguing one way or the other, but Henne has had some near picks too.

Not arguing one way or the other, but Henne has had some near picks too.

True, but Sanchez has more of a tendency to have those snowball games where he'll make one bad throw and get really rattled. Most of the time, if he threw one INT last year, he'd throw another.

True, but Sanchez has more of a tendency to have those snowball games where he'll make one bad throw and get really rattled. Most of the time, if he threw one INT last year, he'd throw another.
I would agree with that. I think the one area Sanchez is better than Henne is reading zone defenses. He seems to have a better feel for it where Chad seems to just try to rocket balls into tight spots because he can't predict where the hole will be. Of course that's just my opinion and could be wrong.

If the writer thinks the Jets OL has only a slight edge,he has been watching different games than I have. Unfortunately, their OL is much better at this time.

Anyone who thinks this is absurd bias against the Dolphins is ridiculous. For one, there is no doubt that Sanchez has outplayed Henne. Secondly, the writer wasn't criticizing Henne alone, he blamed a lot of his struggles on the Dolphins lack of identity and didn't say that Henne was a terrible player. I don't see anything wrong with this article.

If the writer thinks the Jets OL has only a slight edge,he has been watching different games than I have. Unfortunately, their OL is much better at this time.
Yea agreed. Their line was slightly better last year, this year it is much better. Here's the thing with Sanchez that I see so many people ignore. The Jets happen to be one of the most efficient teams running, and don't pass all that often yet Sanchez's completion percentage countinues to hover around 55%. Cmon with a running game that efficient and pass protection like that 55% is extremely poor. I mean really poor. On the Monday night I watched, his progression seems to have improved vastly. Still has way too many of those throws where you just stratch your head though?

I don't care how good Mark Sanchez becomes and how awful Chad Henne is...Dolphin fans will never admit that Sanchez is playing better. Stats stats stats blah blah blah. Watch the games. Who's playing better as of now. I don't think it's close and it sucks.

Back
Top Bottom