MERGED-Zach Thomas-Dolphin for Life ?/Zach rules | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGED-Zach Thomas-Dolphin for Life ?/Zach rules

CrunchTime

FinHeaven Elite
Reaction score
Ethan J. Skolnick has a nice column about our star MLB.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/football/pro/dolphins/sfl-spskolnick16dec16,0,1314610.column?coll=sfla-dolphins-front

We have had some great MLBs throughout our history.Nick Buonoconti,John Offerdahl come to mind.How does Zach compare to those two and how much longer do you think Zach can play at a high level?

In your opinion will he play out his career as a Dolphin or do you think he should be traded ?

Do you think he will get to play in a SB before he is done ? Do you think he will make it into the Dolphin Ring of Honor and do you think he has a chance to make it into the Pro Football HOF ?

I am torn. Here are some things I have considered:

1. On on hand, as long as Zach can lead the team in tackles, I'd like to keep him but as long as he leads the team in tackles, he has big trade potential.

2. His age might work against getting a trade value that is equal or greater than his current value as a player but he will eventually reach a point where his age will certainly diminsh his value for trade.

Those considerations to me, are a wash as they balance out. This is my deciding factor:

3. Zach is the brains of the defense and JT is the heart. Right now, the defense has a chemistry and balance probably not see in the past 10 years in the NFL. I think it would be a shame to tear that chemistry apart in the slim hopes of getting a slight advantage in the near future.

Zach should stay a Dolphin until he retires and the same goes for Jason...

By stats alone .... ZACH will probably go down as the greatest LB in PHINS history ...
I believe Offerdahl was better, but his career was cut short ...
Buonoconti, of course, won SBs .....

Zach will not be traded ... and he will start and finish next year as the starting MLB ... all bets are off beyond that due to potential injury, age, FA signings, etc ... I can only 'hope' he gets a ring, but using next year as his likely last .... it doesn't seem likely at this point

He should make it into the PHIN ROH, along with JT when he is done == no doubt there .... as for the HOF, it could be questionable .... it depends upon how much longer he plays [beyond next year] and who he is competing against at LB for selection .... ie, Ray Lewis, etc ... life isn't fair -- and for the HOF, it will most definately be a thing of 'timing' ...

I have been against Zach all his career here but I am for him finishing his career here.

Celtkin said:
Why is that?
I just think hes a lil overated in our scheme of keeping blockers of him...He still makes the tackles nonetheless...i really dont want to get to far into it but id like him to finish up here.

Not at 4.9 mil against the cap.......

He said he would be willing to re-negotiate in order to help the team

I just think hes a lil overated in our scheme of keeping blockers of him.

All LB's at any level thrive when the D-line occupies a blocker and the LB is allowed to fill gaps and make tackles.

How is the Dolphins sceme any different just because Zach Thomas is back there?

Zach has great speed for a LB, he's a bit smaller than your average NFL LB but he's compact and delivers a great blow when tackling.

He's played through injuries and to hear Crowder tell it he's a better LB for playing with Zach.

What we need to do is get a couple young LB's in here and let Zach mentor them just like a good QB does for his backup/successor.

He definitely should finish his career as a Dolphin, hopefully with a ring.

The Miami defense deserves it, they have carried the team for so long I hope we win a SB soon.

Zach is one of the only players i know that almost everyone has great respect for...in college he was thought to be too small and when drafted by the fins he shut them up... he will stay 2 more yrs and i believe that he may get into the HOF because the analisists love him and he deserves it

I want him to finish his career here and he will restructure his contract he has already said because he is a team player.

He's easily the best LB in Dolphins history, and before this season, I would have said he's the greatest defensive player in Dolphins history. Jason threw a big twist into that. I'll always love Zach Thomas and have an infinite amount of respect for the guy. No matter if they come off a 42-0 loss, he will give you an autograph if you ask. He'll resturcture his contract to help the team at the end of the season, and I don't think that's the first time hes done that.

Back
Top Bottom