MERGED-Zach Thomas-Dolphin for Life ?/Zach rules

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by CrunchTime, Dec 16, 2006.

1. CrunchTime

CrunchTime FinHeaven Elite

Ethan J. Skolnick has a nice column about our star MLB.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/football/pro/dolphins/sfl-spskolnick16dec16,0,1314610.column?coll=sfla-dolphins-front

We have had some great MLBs throughout our history.Nick Buonoconti,John Offerdahl come to mind.How does Zach compare to those two and how much longer do you think Zach can play at a high level?

In your opinion will he play out his career as a Dolphin or do you think he should be traded ?

Do you think he will get to play in a SB before he is done ? Do you think he will make it into the Dolphin Ring of Honor and do you think he has a chance to make it into the Pro Football HOF ?

2. Celtkin

Celtkin Banned Hammered

I am torn. Here are some things I have considered:

1. On on hand, as long as Zach can lead the team in tackles, I'd like to keep him but as long as he leads the team in tackles, he has big trade potential.

2. His age might work against getting a trade value that is equal or greater than his current value as a player but he will eventually reach a point where his age will certainly diminsh his value for trade.

Those considerations to me, are a wash as they balance out. This is my deciding factor:

3. Zach is the brains of the defense and JT is the heart. Right now, the defense has a chemistry and balance probably not see in the past 10 years in the NFL. I think it would be a shame to tear that chemistry apart in the slim hopes of getting a slight advantage in the near future.

Zach should stay a Dolphin until he retires and the same goes for Jason...

3. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Seasoned Veteran

By stats alone .... ZACH will probably go down as the greatest LB in PHINS history ...
    I believe Offerdahl was better, but his career was cut short ...
    Buonoconti, of course, won SBs .....

Zach will not be traded ... and he will start and finish next year as the starting MLB ... all bets are off beyond that due to potential injury, age, FA signings, etc ... I can only 'hope' he gets a ring, but using next year as his likely last .... it doesn't seem likely at this point

He should make it into the PHIN ROH, along with JT when he is done == no doubt there .... as for the HOF, it could be questionable .... it depends upon how much longer he plays [beyond next year] and who he is competing against at LB for selection .... ie, Ray Lewis, etc ... life isn't fair -- and for the HOF, it will most definately be a thing of 'timing' ...

4. musphinzfan

musphinzfan Pro Bowler

I have been against Zach all his career here but I am for him finishing his career here.

5. Celtkin

Celtkin Banned Hammered

Why is that?

6. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

I think he will finish his career here.

7. kashbo

kashbo TED GINN BOO AND A YEAH

of course

8. musphinzfan

musphinzfan Pro Bowler

I just think hes a lil overated in our scheme of keeping blockers of him...He still makes the tackles nonetheless...i really dont want to get to far into it but id like him to finish up here.

9. Phantom

Phantom Phantom Donator

Not at 4.9 mil against the cap.......

10. CrunchTime

CrunchTime FinHeaven Elite

He said he would be willing to re-negotiate in order to help the team

11. acmeanvil49

acmeanvil49 Seasoned Veteran

All LB's at any level thrive when the D-line occupies a blocker and the LB is allowed to fill gaps and make tackles.

How is the Dolphins sceme any different just because Zach Thomas is back there?

Zach has great speed for a LB, he's a bit smaller than your average NFL LB but he's compact and delivers a great blow when tackling.

He's played through injuries and to hear Crowder tell it he's a better LB for playing with Zach.

What we need to do is get a couple young LB's in here and let Zach mentor them just like a good QB does for his backup/successor.

He definitely should finish his career as a Dolphin, hopefully with a ring.

The Miami defense deserves it, they have carried the team for so long I hope we win a SB soon.

12. TXfins54

TXfins54 Scout Team

Zach is one of the only players i know that almost everyone has great respect for...in college he was thought to be too small and when drafted by the fins he shut them up... he will stay 2 more yrs and i believe that he may get into the HOF because the analisists love him and he deserves it

13. Brown42000

Brown42000 Perennial All-Pro

I want him to finish his career here and he will restructure his contract he has already said because he is a team player.

14. phinphan896

phinphan896 Pro Bowler

if you look at the numbers hes a first ballot hall of famer

15. timbowens95

timbowens95 Clogging up the Middle!

He's easily the best LB in Dolphins history, and before this season, I would have said he's the greatest defensive player in Dolphins history. Jason threw a big twist into that. I'll always love Zach Thomas and have an infinite amount of respect for the guy. No matter if they come off a 42-0 loss, he will give you an autograph if you ask. He'll resturcture his contract to help the team at the end of the season, and I don't think that's the first time hes done that.

16. FINdestructible

FINdestructible Section 211

I think he'll end his carrer here in Miami.
    I don't think he'll be here much longer, so if he is to play in a SB, the fins better get there in the next two years. He will definitely make it to the Dolphins Ring of Honor, but i don't think he will make it to the HOF if he doesn't have a SB under his belt.

17. TXfins54

TXfins54 Scout Team

ya after the texans game this yr i got his autograph...it wasnt 42-0 but it was HEARTBREAKING

18. Mike13

Mike13 I am a golden god

He always does, he's a true class act.
    Great read BTW.

19. PhinFan0202

PhinFan0202 Alriiigghht miaaammi!!!

Zach Thomas is the man. For anyone who's ever thought that they were too small he's an inspiration. Not to mention he's a class act and a team player which in this age you don't find as often, real old school type of guy. I hope he gets a ring before he's done.

20. finfan54

finfan54 A True Fan Donator

ZAch is the best of all time Fin history. Zach can still play a couple more years no problem, based on shear desire. In fact, if Zach wants to play another five years, so long as his contract isnt outrageous over the long haul, he can be a part time guy who comes out on pass plays when the gray hairs start coming through.

21. ItsOurTime32

ItsOurTime32 Banned Hammered

jerry rice played until he was 30
    romonowski til he was 37
    zach is 33 which means i look for another 2-4 season for him to still dominate

22. Dolfan5000

Dolfan5000 Mark my words, I'll get mine

Zach is of a dying breed, those wholesome and geniune players. He's always played with 200% of his heart and always led this defense in the right direction. He's never showboated, he lets his play speak for itself. He needs to instill this into our future LBs before he goes.

I see him staying three more years; to get his ring. Then he'll retire.

23. COramprat

COramprat SIMMA DA NA

That is why I like him. He plays for the love of the game...not the money. Plus...if he leaves I have to get another jersey.:tantrum:

24. TXfins54

TXfins54 Scout Team

:dolphins: He inspired me, a 120 lb soughmore to tryout for my high school football team (whos know throughout texas as a dominating force), and make WR...

THANK YOU ZACH!!!!!!!:dolphins:

25. GatorsFins23

GatorsFins23 Don't act like you're not impressed....

I can see Zach playing for another few years at least....and then I'd say the team really should think about keeping him on as an assistant coach for the defense, if he wants to do that.

26. Dj Shoj

Dj Shoj Scout Team

I am all about retiring #54 when Zach's career is over as a Dolphin.

27. Dolfan5000

The phins will be too. :cooldude:

28. zachequalsgod

zachequalsgod Well-Known Member

I've got a great ZT story that I've shared on this board before, but don't have time to type it right now...

Zach makes it into the HOF, take that to the bank.

29. Dolfan5000

When you get the time, hit this thread up.

30. zachequalsgod

zachequalsgod Well-Known Member

I copied my previous post, here's my ZT story:

I was unfortunate enough as a stand out Sophomore linebacker to get shot in the eye with a paint ball gun. I'm not going to go into the details, but your eye is connected to a lot of stuff. I was told to never play football again, but I simply replied "Yes, I will play football again." 2 Surgeries and an offseason later, I'm playing football again. A guy from out of town, somewhere in Texas, approaches my mom (who is decked out in my number/picture... you know how mothers are lol) to compliment my play and compares me to some "guy" that played at Texas Tech (the same school this guy went to). He then said his name "Zach Thomas," well my mom freaks out. She goes on to explain how much I looked up to Zach, since I too was a vertically inclined linebacker. She then told the guy my story about my eye and everything. The guy said good day and that was that.
    Fast Forward, a month later... I receive a letter from the Phin's Linebacker coach(at that time), I can't recall his name right now... Obviously, I was in shock that someone in Miami had heard about the story of a half blind short linebacker from nowhere, KY. Wrote back, thanked him... End Ch. 2.
    Fast Forward, one more time about another month. I get another package from Miami. I freaked out, enclosed was a 8x10 of my idol linebacker Zach Thomas and to top it off it read "Charles, be best and stay strong" (was a powerlifter too). My Respect level for Zach Thomas raised to impossible heights. Zach Thomas is the coolest player in the NFL, much less the Dolphins. To say I was inspired by his message is very much an understatement.

31. TXfins54

TXfins54 Scout Team

I know they will the start of the next season just like they did to Dan Marino but I can't compare Zach to Marino

32. WestCKoastiN

WestCKoastiN Doogie Howser

yeah zach has a few years left lets get a ship'

33. PhinFan0202

PhinFan0202 Alriiigghht miaaammi!!!

That's awesome man, enjoy the Friday Night Lights man because it's some of the greatest times you'll ever have. Good luck with football and everything else in life.

34. TXfins54

TXfins54 Scout Team

thanks and it means alot in TEXAS so i have alot of preasure

35. FinsAreLife

FinsAreLife F-A-L

thats pretty sad if you ask me, i've grown up idolizing him and JT on defense.

36. jazz

jazz see you auntie

i would expect that from him. he's a class act.

37. dolphindebby

dolphindebby FinHeaven VIP

I agree. He's a real team player, We need more like him. He never quits or gives up. Don't know how long he'll stay a Dolphin, but I hope it's a long while.

38. laxcoach

laxcoach Pirate Lacrosse King

The sure-fire way for Saban to lose the fans would be to appear to push ZT or JT out the door. They are as untouchable today as Marino was during JJ's time here.

39. TXfins54

TXfins54 Scout Team

heres what i think zach and jason will end there careers with miami and have a ring within the next 3 yrs...daunte gets better has an MVP like season next season and the fins get out in the 2nd rd next yr after suffering a last second loss to the colts this yr

40. miamifire

miamifire Scout Team

I hope that both Zach and JT get a ring before they retire. I think they both have a shot @ the HOF.:dolphins: