MERGEDX3: Fins reach out to Law

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by dolpns13, Oct 16, 2008.

1. dolpns13

dolpns13 Chest Rockwell is my hero Donator

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-law101608,0,7686958.story

The Dolphins have reached out to representatives for veteran free agent cornerback Ty Law, to discuss a workout for the five-time Pro Bowl selection, according to a source.

Law, 34, hasn't played in the
    NFL this season, after starting 16 games for the Kansas City Chiefs in 2007. The South Florida resident has 52 career interceptions, including 10 for the New York Jets, but is best known for his 10 seasons with the New England Patriots. Law visited with the Jets during the offseason, and had phone conversations with the Patriots and Cleveland Browns. In July, he said that he had contract offers, but was waiting for the right opportunity.

The Jets, Patriots and Browns are coached by extensions of the Bill Parcells coaching tree. Parcells is now the Dolphins' VP of Football Operations.

The Dolphins are thin at the position, and allowed Texans quarterback Matt Schaub to throw for 378 yards in Sunday's 29-28 loss to Houston. Andre' Goodman did not practice Thursday due to what coach Tony Sparano called "a personal emergency," and Michael Lehan worked in his starting spot. Will Allen, who has been bothered by a sore knee, did practice. Sparano said he expected Goodman and Allen to play Sunday, and spoke highly of Jason Allen as a cornerback.

Is this the end of Goodman?

2. SpaceMountain16

SpaceMountain16 Disgruntled Donator

I'd rather stick with what we have now than sign a guy who was over the hill about 4 years ago.

3. GoonBoss

GoonBoss Finheaven Templar Super Donator Donator

I don't see how he could hurt this secondary more than Goodman.

4. dolpns13

Id rather have Law than Goodman... Its not like either one of them are plans for the future and at 34, IMO Law is still an upgrade over Goodman

5. Avigatorx

Avigatorx Sec. 107 Row 2

Good news. Despite his age he would bring a much needed veteran presence to our secondary.

The end of Goodman? I doubt it, but who knows...

6. Phinsfan210

Phinsfan210 F-I-N-S FINS FINS FINS

I would take him, but only for a cheap deal. I trust Parcells desicison making when it comes to this stuff.

7. ADavieDolphin

ADavieDolphin StickyIckyRicky

not me.. i'd rather sign law too add depth and the knowhow to our secondary.. the guy is old, and may be a liability.. but if he can keep up with ted ginn in practice or his workout thing... then we should sign him, he knows how to defend the pass.. so if he can keep up with true NFL speed, then sign him, if he cant cover ginn, w'll just have to roll with this crappy secondary until the offseason

8. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Da Dalphins

please sign him. we have no young guys to develope. if he were going to come in a nd block a young guy from playing i would be 100% against it. otherwise our CBs outside will allen are pathetic and saying they arent physical is an extreme understatement.

9. cowboy82nd

cowboy82nd Starter

If he can help us... sign him. I'm not talking about a long term deal here. Sign him for a one year deal IF and I do mean IF he is better than what we have now.

10. FinAtic8480

FinAtic8480 A True Fan

Like the news, but it wont get done till atleast next week. I think the three games we have lost have alot to do with the Secondary.

11. Canadianfishfan

Canadianfishfan FinHeavean VIP

Law would bring verteran savvy that we so desperately need. He may not be what he once was.. but he's got to be better than Goodman!

12. elite14eva

elite14eva Yashu Mane!!! Donator

i'm all for it...better than what we have now.

13. X-Pacolypse

X-Pacolypse A True Fan

Anybody is better than Goodman.

14. Rich22

Rich22 Phin DieHard!

IMO I'd rather give a young guy a shot. Why not stick Billingsley in there or give JAllen a crack at it. If they think Law is still legit that's great but if he is then why are we waiting until week 6 to talk to him.

I was hoping this year is all about building and seeing who has potential for the long haul. We don't have a young secondary - who is being groomed? Certainly not JAllen.

15. SpaceMountain16

SpaceMountain16 Disgruntled Donator

He's done, and out of football since last year he's probably worse than what we have. If he's cheap and IS better than what we have, then i guess it's worth the shot signing him, but i am skeptical.

16. dolpns13

Nah, what would lead you to believe that? Favre TD bombs to WIDE OPEN Crotchery and WIDE OPEN Stuckey, or WarnerTD bombs to WIDE OPEN Bolden, 3 times, and Schuab rolling us for almost 400 yards... :(

We'vr given up 3 rushing TD's to 8 passing TD's this year

17. DefensiveEnd76

DefensiveEnd76 Football Guru

We're in sorry shape if we have to count on an old broken down CB like Law.

18. dolpns13

No arguement here... Our secondary are the ones in bad shape when a 34 year old Ty Law is an upgrade over a 30 year old Andre goodman. Actually, I didnt realize Goodman is only 4 years younger than Law.

19. Dtronic

Dtronic Season ticket Holder Sec 150

Geeze, I'm surprised it has taken this long. I've been saying we should get him in for a work out since draft day.:shakeno:

20. MiamiDolfan85

MiamiDolfan85 DA M.I.A IS WHERE I STAY

end of Goodman???:err:

more like the end of the WHOLE secondary.This is probably top 5 worst secondaries on the league.Obviously it would take 2-3 years to revamp it,but no question in my mind that Hill(dropped a game ending INT vs Houston),Goodman(again,dropped a game winning INT),Crocker(why did we even sign him?) and Lehan(he is probably the best outside Allen and Bell),but none of our secondary players are younger than 27,and thats an issue...

21. DefensiveEnd76

Goodman conjures up bad memories of Reggie Howard when he's getting lit up in the secondary.

22. GoonBoss

Your mouth to God's ears.

23. DefensiveEnd76

That's what I wondered. Crocker was the worst member of the Falcons secondary and we signed him to be a starter. YEESH!!!!

24. dolpns13

I meant THIS year. Its pretty self explanatory that our entire secondary will get revamped in upcoming years.

25. dolpns13

We originally signed crocker particularly for special teams prowess. Allen was originally supposed to start at FS but to the surprise of the coaching staff, Crocker beat him out

26. Drfletcherdc

Drfletcherdc A True Fan

Terry Cousins?

27. Dtronic

Dtronic Season ticket Holder Sec 150

We signed him to be a starter on our special teams. Our secondary was just so bad that he got that job.

I started the fire Crooker bandwagon after the Jets game :D

28. Valandui

Valandui Lumberjack Batman Donator

I think this may have more to do with Will Allen's injury and the fact that we have no depth behind him. It may also be a stopgap until Jason Allen is ready. It takes time to develop at CB and JA has only been there for a few weeks. With as big and physical as he is, I can't see them not starting him eventually.

29. WVDolphan

WVDolphan Banned Hammered

It wouldnt be the end of Goodman, it would be the end of the lowest CB on the chain. Even if Law were a starter, Goodman would still be in the rotation and get time as a Nickel and Dime package corner.

30. MiamiDolfan85

MiamiDolfan85 DA M.I.A IS WHERE I STAY

I wasnt directing my hate towards you...more like out past coaches and such...those unholy names to Football Gods ears should never be mentioned again...:couch3:

31. dolpns13

No worries... I didnt take it like that... Sorry if my post made you think otherwise...

32. GoonBoss

I was thinking about insta-banning you for that comment :wink:

33. dolpns13

Depends on how the FO views the cap and his salary against the other corners and theyre productivity. He's probably making too much to be a dime or maybe even a nickle back.

34. dolpns13

Good thing I didnt say Reggie Howard, although I do think Goodman is light years better than Howard

35. Ed Norton

Ed Norton Scout Team

This secondary is a mess but I don't think you can really blame the FO for not fixing everything in one year. Why not see what Law can do it can't get much worse. On the bright side this is going to be a rock solid defense once they get a secondary:)

36. abNORMal

abNORMal A True Fan

If he can still play why not give Ty Law a shot? He can at least provide a little veteran leadership, because at his age he has seen it all. Maybe he can help be a secondary coah on the field and help the guys get into the right postiton, because they looked out of sorts last Sunday, and against 'Zona. I think what we really need is a BIG HITTER at safety to put some fear into the receivers going across the middle. Louis Oliver anyone???

37. Predaphin

Predaphin Predator in the Water

First of all, I hope we sign Law. He is an assett and could not hurt us in any way. It would be considered a temporary fix for this year although i'm not sure whether he is familiar with the defensive scheme.

Secondly, I doubt this has any barring on what happens with Goodman. Goodman is not going anywhere (at least for the rest of this year).

In my opinion, the signing of Law is simply for insurance purposes considering Will Allen is now on a knee brace.

38. dolpns13

Like I said, neither Law, nor Goodman will be considered future, so what would it hurt.

39. nosleep

nosleep Resident GIF Maker

It's not like we're going to sign him sight unseen. He'll have a workout. How many people have we worked out and not signed? More than a few. If the coaching staff feels he can't contribute and is over the hill, he won't be signed, that simple.

40. phintim

phintim Seasoned Veteran

We need a hard hitting DB that can intercept the ball period even if he is a bit slow. I remember the same thing was said about Sammy Knight who went on was played for the Saints and itercepted quite a few passes for us as well as Brock Marion. Bring the guy keep him until we find something better. I am sure tired of coaches for the Dolphins releasing guys who can still play and picking up guys that can not. That's called poor coaching or scouting or whatever. It certainly not very smart.