MIA MAY HAVE (3) 5th RD PICS- Targets? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MIA MAY HAVE (3) 5th RD PICS- Targets?

Lovethefish

Active Roster
Reaction score
If we get 2 5th Rd comp pics- we could be in a position to have 3 pics within 15 pics of each other.
Great opportunity to build solid depth. Any potential targets?

Maybe build depth on OL?

It's too early to tell who's going to be available then. I'd rather trade up and come home with 2 starters rather than a bunch of depth guys.

Maybe that's where you gamble on some injured players like Butts or Beckwith. Also, add some depth on the offensive line. Find some diamonds in the rough. You never know Ajayi and Lippett were 5th rounders.

The year we ended up with 4 fifth rounders that was by design. They did it because they thought it was a deep draft so I guess we're hoping it's deep

Yeah as it is usually people in the fifth to sixth round that will usually do well and be there in the long run.

I think there is a definite cut off in talent after say 25-40. After that, comes down to research, scouting and getting some tough SOBs who really love football. Guy like Slimm's insight is just invaluable in these Rds. I recall Bobby McCain was a 5th Rder who Slimm was high on and that kid is still scratching surface and is real contributor.

We missed on a guy like Jamil Douglas but take look at that draft and you will count 6 - yes 6! - OL that start who were chosen in 5th RD or later.
Given above I'm keeping as many picks as I can.

im getting tired of drafting and signing depth guys. We need quality starters. We have been doing the depth thing for ages, and it didn't work. We also did the "big meaty guys" thing with Saban and it didn't work. We also did the "go young" thing and it didn't work. Peyton Manning won a Super Bowl as a senior citizen for crying out loud lol (and maybe Tom Brady this year will too). Quality starters is what you need, regardless of age.

im getting tired of drafting and signing depth guys. We need quality starters. We have been doing the depth thing for ages, and it didn't work. We also did the "big meaty guys" thing with Saban and it didn't work. We also did the "go young" thing and it didn't work. Peyton Manning won a Super Bowl as a senior citizen for crying out loud lol (and maybe Tom Brady this year will too). Quality starters is what you need, regardless of age.

You do realize that Jay Ajayi, Tony Lippett, Reshad Jones, Nolan Carroll (once a starter for the Dolphins and should have been re-signed), and Chris Clemmons (once a starter) were all 5th round picks for the Dolphins, right?

You do realize that Jay Ajayi, Tony Lippett, Reshad Jones, Nolan Carroll (once a starter for the Dolphins and should have been re-signed), and Chris Clemmons (once a starter) were all 5th round picks for the Dolphins, right?
He is right. If you actually look at tape(it seems like a lot Of GMs do not), you can find guys that can be meaningful contributors. There too many guys playing in the league that were given up on or were drafted by a team where they were a bad scheme fit and are picked up by another team and they flourish in there system. Your not going to hit on all your draft picks but you should do a lot better than what they are paying a lot of the GMs to do. Just ask Zach Thomas if it mattered that he was picked in the 5th rd.

Obviously it's important to hit with the top pick- that's a given.
I would be excited about a Taco Charlton, Charles Harris , Davis or Cunninghma.
if you examine our roster we have 4-5 legitimate stars: Landry, Ajayi, Jones, Suh and Wake (possibly healthy Pouncey). We have seen the difference a quality coach makes. The next step is building around stars and coach. Build a true 50 man roster. Let other teams chase OUR FAs. Collect those comp picks and use them wisely.

Back
Top Bottom