Miami 18th in total defense | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami 18th in total defense

where's th'fish

Scout Team
Reaction score
Hey, just wanted to counter the "2nd in total defense" thread with better stats from FO. I was thinking about posting them anyway regarding the perception that the offense sucks but the defense is doing well. So is it? Well, kind of.

Offense: 31st, 29th passing, 30th running. No surprises here.

Defense: 18th, 29th against the pass, 2nd against the run.

The 2nd against the run is very impressive, no doubt. Quick note: The Titans are, overall, the 22nd pass offense. That's remarkable, since Mariota is ranked as the 7th best passer. FOs numbers have a correction for strength of schedule, but last Sunday is boosting our numbers more than it should.

By comparison, in 2016 we were the 19th defense, 16th against the pass and 22nd against the run.

In short, our offense has plummeted, but our defense is still mediocre, just like it was last year. By comparison, they're playing great, but in reality that pass defense will lose way more games than the run defense will win as opponents start to catch up to that.

Quick note: These numbers don't reflect who's better or who's worse or what a team is, they're simply a description of what the results have been so far.

Edit: These are not plain yards, this is DVOA, yards adjusted per situation and opponent.

Last edited:
sounds like these numbers are based on yards which i don't think most people use as the true measuring stick of a defense...

i prefer using stats such as : total points allowed, yards per rush allowed, yards per play, etc...especially with how many snaps our defense seems to be playing the first few weeks...

Defense is 4th in points against, second worst in completion % allowed, allowed the 7th fewest total pass yards, and are 22nd in pass yards allowed per game.

The rush defense has allowed the second fewest yards allowed, they're third in average rush per play, and have allowed 2 rush TDs in 4 games.

Yes this is in 4 games where most teams have played 5. Yes they've played teams that aren't elite. I find these stats, right now, to be impressive based on how little sustained drives the offense actually musters.

The defense stunk the first two weeks. The fact that we didn't give up more points had to do with who we played and how bad the Chargers' kicker was, and the fact that the Jets were able to just coast the entire second half.

Team defense was very, very good against Tennessee on Sunday. It's not about the team's statistical ranking, but rather the fact that I saw a team that was able to cover and tackle people short of the sticks, force pass breakups, get amazing penetration and stuff run plays, pressure the quarterback, and snuff out screen passes at the LoS.

It's true that we got lucky on Sunday and had a deep touchdown against us called back, but let's also consider how long that group was on the field and how talented the Tennessee offense is outside of their backup QB. That's a good unit.

sounds like these numbers are based on yards which i don't think most people use as the true measuring stick of a defense...

i prefer using stats such as : total points allowed, yards per rush allowed, yards per play, etc...especially with how many snaps our defense seems to be playing the first few weeks...

They're based on the situation. For example, 1 yard in 3rd and 1 is more valuable than 5 yards on 3rd and 10. Also, garbage time yards are penalized and stuff like that.

The defense stunk the first two weeks. The fact that we didn't give up more points had to do with who we played and how bad the Chargers' kicker was, and the fact that the Jets were able to just coast the entire second half.

Team defense was very, very good against Tennessee on Sunday. It's not about the team's statistical ranking, but rather the fact that I saw a team that was able to cover and tackle people short of the sticks, force pass breakups, get amazing penetration and stuff run plays, pressure the quarterback, and snuff out screen passes at the LoS.

It's true that we got lucky on Sunday and had a deep touchdown against us called back, but let's also consider how long that group was on the field and how talented the Tennessee offense is outside of their backup QB. That's a good unit.

That's true, we played a lot better, even accounting for Cassel. Hopefully we're these guys and not those guys.

Maualuga and Timmons made a big difference. I was highly skeptical of Maualuga coming in and contributing anything, but he was good in run support, just getting up there, fighting off blocks, and stopping stuff cold. You combine that with the kind of play Timmons showed getting to the perimeter and then finishing tackles, and it had a huge impact on our defense. IF those two players continue that sort of play and remain healthy, I think we will see a defense that much more resembles the group we saw Sunday.

Points scored is the best way to measure both offense and defense... Yards mean nothing.

I wonder why the Jets coasted in the 2nd half. Here are the Dolphins drives in the 3rd/4th quarters:

1st possession: 3 and out. 2 incompletions and -5 yards on an Ajayi run.
2nd possession: 4 and out. 2 passes for 3 yards, an incomplete pass, and an INT thrown by the punter.
3rd possession: Started at own 25 and got to Jets 21. 4 incomplete passes later turnover on downs.
4th possession: Started at own 10, got to Jets 42 yd line thanks to 2 completions and a roughing the passer. On 4th and 6, Cutler throws a 4 yard pass to Parker. Turnover on downs.
5th possession: Started at own 45 and ends on a Cutler INT at the Jets 15.
6th possession: Started at own 20 and ended on a literal last second TD to Parker.

The only TD the defense allowed was when the Jets began at the Dolphins 49 yard line. The other possessions by the Jets resulted in a FG, a possession where they allowed 15 yards (also a PI on Howard), a forced fumble, and a 3 and out.

If the offense actually resembled a competent offense the defense would be even better IMO.

Maualuga and Timmons made a big difference. I was highly skeptical of Maualuga coming in and contributing anything, but he was good in run support, just getting up there, fighting off blocks, and stopping stuff cold. You combine that with the kind of play Timmons showed getting to the perimeter and then finishing tackles, and it had a huge impact on our defense. IF those two players continue that sort of play and remain healthy, I think we will see a defense that much more resembles the group we saw Sunday.

Tank over Maxwell has been an upgrade as well, and Harris has played better. Yeah, there's reason for optimism.

Defensive(and offensive) rankings are always based on total yards allowed. is DVOA one of those judgment-based stats?

Back
Top Bottom