Miami 2nd in Total Defense...

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Dolph N.Fan, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Dolph N.Fan

Dolph N.Fan A True Fan

with 1238 total yards allowed. Miami is 4th in points allowed per game (16.8) but first in total points allowed with 67. Finally, Miami is 8th in pass defense (234.0 pass ypg) and 2nd in Rush Defense (75.5 rush ypg). Yeah it's still early, and it's only 4 games but to be on pace to only give up 1208 rushing yards for the season after giving up 2247 last season is quite the turnaround.

2. evo8904

evo8904 Gase + Cutler = Garbage Hammered Finheaven VIP

Big improvement but let’s see how they play this weekend. Atl is far better then anyone we have played. But, our defense would probably be ranked even higher if the offense didn’t suck so bad.

Avigatorx and spiketex like this.
  3. Snoop

Snoop A True Fan

Probably has to do with the fact that we've played one less game than everyone else.

Aquablood and 1 dol fan like this.
  4. TheWozz

TheWozz FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Not sure how much those rankings(even the per game ones) hold up, but the D looks much better this year. Most encouraging is that young guys like Harris, Howard, Tankersly, Godchaux and Taylor look like long term prospects. Throw in McMillian and we may have a Long term D in Miami!

Offense is fun and gives the fantasy geeks something to talk about but D is still the key to Ws.

5. One Love

One Love star traveler ✨✨ Donator

Aha maybe it's due to the fact that we missed week one?? Either way it sounds great!

6. zach attach

zach attach A True Fan Donator

After a great performance against the Titans, I expect our defense to be jacked up to face a potent Atlanta offense.

7. Pat-London

Pat-London A True Fan

This is a very important point. Additionally, the success the D is currently having will, at some stage, be directly impacted negatively by the ineptitude of the Offense as the season goes on - so if the Offense continues to operate at the current levels, just expect the D output to suffer as a result over time.

On a positive note, it certainly does create some hope for the future with the number of younger players on the unit. One action I am keen to see and I would welcome it, is an extension for William Hayes - doesn't look his age at all with the way he's playing, and yes it's early in the season, but I do believe he has a great impact on the play of this unit, both run and pass, and will continue to do so, especially with the DE rotation we employ.

One angle I'm very keen to see is when TJ McDonald is eligible to play is... do we introduce a 3 Safety, 4-2 package, as a base D in certain situations. With Jones and McDonald in the alley, you get the impact of an athletic 44 with the versatility of a bigger nickel package. Could be an interesting option to defend any teams that employ a 12 personnel Offense... hmmmmm :)

And looking ahead, hopefully both Lippett & McMillan return in good health, then really with the above, what we're really missing is a true FS and a better Nickel.

gunn34 likes this.
  8. BlueFin

BlueFin Seer of Visions Finheaven VIP

The rankings are based on per game performance and not really effected by one less game....total points and total yards yes.

Dolph N.Fan likes this.
  9. ChrisTRD

ChrisTRD A True Fan

This. Most numbers are based on average per game. Clearly we have an advantage of total yards given up with 1 less game played but throw that out and look at YPG. Honestly the D looks much better than last year. Then throw in getting McDonald later on. .... Just need this O to stop looking so ****ty. I can only imagine how good it a team we would look like if Tannehill didnt get hurt.

BlueFin and Dolph N.Fan like this.
  10. spiketex

spiketex Kiko, El Bravo 47 - the yappy chihuahua Super Donator Donator

We now have a pretty big physical Defense. Last year we couldn't stop the run and it was the obvious weakness that needed to be addressed. We added tough veteran players like William Hayes, Lawrence Timmons, Rey Maualuga and drafted Davon Godchaux to help Ndamukong Suh up front. Net effect, our Defense is a lot bigger and stronger than it has been for decades. For months we have had FH posters like SOS, absolutely ridiculing new Defensive Coordinator for having no idea how to coach the Defense, but it now appears to be the strength of the team.
    With the Offense struggles to come together, we need the strong Defense to keep opponents to low scores.

Dolph N.Fan and Pandarilla like this.
  11. dolphintodd

dolphintodd FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Lets talk after we play the patriots.

12. fansinceGWilson

fansinceGWilson FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I fear the Falcons more than the current Pats.

gunn34 likes this.
  13. Xbrett82us

Xbrett82us Starter

Add about 225 more rush yards and 450 passing yards after next week and we will be right where we're supposed to be.

14. Michael Scott

Michael Scott A True Fan

It's unfortunate that these numbers will drastically decrease as the season goes on as a product of being on the field too much because the offense sucks.

gunn34 and dolphintodd like this.
  15. TannDaMan17

TannDaMan17 Well-Known Member

Very impressed with how the defense is performing. Burke looked lost the first few weeks but it seems he is settling in now. Also lol at everyone including myself freaking out over Charles Harris this preseason, dude can ball and we need someone to replace Wake desperately. Great pick by our FO, in fact this entire class is looking real nice.

16. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Well-Known Member

They've been carrying this team and now they're starting to gain confidence and turnovers.

I love how they deflect the praise and are far more interested in seeing how good they can get.

William Hayes (kinda my new way of greeting or ending posts these days. It has supplanted all 'yours truly', 'sincerely' and 'good day' sentiments. Ex. 'William Hayes to you'...'and a fine William Hayes to you, good sir!'

17. maralieus

maralieus Lets get those balls deep!!

Denver just had their bye.

Dolph N.Fan likes this.
  18. Dolph N.Fan

Dolph N.Fan A True Fan

As well as Washington, Atlanta, New Orleans and Tampa already had their bye with Miami and they’re 11th in total defense.

19. DuderinoN703

DuderinoN703 We? What the **** we? Finheaven VIP Donator

True. Miami is still 8th in yards per game. Those rankings will go down after this weekend.

20. warren4prez

warren4prez Well-Known Member

The Falcons game will be a true test for our young for corners. Matt Ryan is a top 5 QB so I think he will be going at out young guys.

21. nick1

nick1 I am Groot Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

Never say never. Buffalo beat them and the Bears should have

22. DuderinoN703

Falcons put up 23 points in both games. Miami has 41 points in four games and that includes a defensive score.

23. Fins1971

Fins1971 C'mon Dolphins

That has been the case over the last 5 years with the Dolphins facing 460 more plays on defense than they ran on offense. Worst in NFL.
    This season it isn't as bad. 241-237. Only 4 plays difference in 4 games. But it will eventually catch up to you.

24. nick1

nick1 I am Groot Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

I hear ya. I was just pointing to our defense might be capable of winning but yes they do need a competent offense

25. The Ghost

The Ghost Stamos

I wonder where we'd be with McMillan and Lippett healthy. We still need to add pieces but the improvement is encouraging for both the players on D and Matt Burke. Finding a replacement for Suh will be high on our agenda in a year or two. Reshad Jones is improving weekly. Same goes with Charles Harris so at least we will get to our defensive highlight fix this year.

It's a shame the offense that was expected to lead our team is so pitiful.

26. TannDaMan17

TannDaMan17 Well-Known Member

There is no replacement for Suh, he is a once in a generation type of talent. Probably the best DT in the history of the Dolphins, and imo one of the best DT's of all time. We will need to find more quality players at DT in the future, but finding another Suh will be next to impossible.

TheWozz likes this.
  27. Michael Scott

Michael Scott A True Fan

23 points total is enough for two teams to beat us.

28. maralieus

maralieus Lets get those balls deep!!

We've typically played well against ryan and imo this defense is light years better than previous ones under philbin.

29. DuderinoN703

Possible sure. Never going to happen.

30. tay0365

tay0365 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

What could have been, if we had not lost Tannehill, or McMillan. :(

31. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

Even more impressive considering the offensive struggles.

Dolph N.Fan likes this.
  32. gunn34

gunn34 Pro Bowler

These numbers will drastically change if the Offense doesn't give them more time to catch their breath. I suspect the O will get it together and we should be fine on D.

33. BlueFin

BlueFin Seer of Visions Finheaven VIP

I guess if the team was stuck in only being capable of equaling their first 4 games performance your valuable post would be relevant.

Pretty narrow minded to assume things won't get better.

Dolph N.Fan likes this.
  34. Dolph N.Fan

Dolph N.Fan A True Fan

It Miami holds Atlanta to 20 or less we may be on to something

35. DuderinoN703

Not once did I claim things wouldn't get better. Leave the insults to someone else.

It'd be hard not to improve. Cutler is averaging 176.5 yards a game. Miami doesn't have a rushing TD. Their season high in yards was in their first game. Every game since they've gained less yards. They've been outscored 50-22 over their last 3 games.

Improving upon that shouldn't be difficult. I don't see it this week though.