Miami 2nd in Total Defense... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami 2nd in Total Defense...

Dolph N.Fan

Active Roster
Reaction score
with 1238 total yards allowed. Miami is 4th in points allowed per game (16.8) but first in total points allowed with 67. Finally, Miami is 8th in pass defense (234.0 pass ypg) and 2nd in Rush Defense (75.5 rush ypg). Yeah it's still early, and it's only 4 games but to be on pace to only give up 1208 rushing yards for the season after giving up 2247 last season is quite the turnaround.

Big improvement but let’s see how they play this weekend. Atl is far better then anyone we have played. But, our defense would probably be ranked even higher if the offense didn’t suck so bad.

with 1238 total yards allowed. Miami is 4th in points allowed per game (16.8) but first in total points allowed with 67. Finally, Miami is 8th in pass defense (234.0 pass ypg) and 2nd in Rush Defense (75.5 rush ypg). Yeah it's still early, and it's only 4 games but to be on pace to only give up 1208 rushing yards for the season after giving up 2247 last season is quite the turnaround.

Probably has to do with the fact that we've played one less game than everyone else.

Not sure how much those rankings(even the per game ones) hold up, but the D looks much better this year. Most encouraging is that young guys like Harris, Howard, Tankersly, Godchaux and Taylor look like long term prospects. Throw in McMillian and we may have a Long term D in Miami!

Offense is fun and gives the fantasy geeks something to talk about but D is still the key to Ws.

Aha maybe it's due to the fact that we missed week one?? Either way it sounds great!

After a great performance against the Titans, I expect our defense to be jacked up to face a potent Atlanta offense.

...our defense would probably be ranked even higher if the offense didn’t suck so bad.

This is a very important point. Additionally, the success the D is currently having will, at some stage, be directly impacted negatively by the ineptitude of the Offense as the season goes on - so if the Offense continues to operate at the current levels, just expect the D output to suffer as a result over time.

On a positive note, it certainly does create some hope for the future with the number of younger players on the unit. One action I am keen to see and I would welcome it, is an extension for William Hayes - doesn't look his age at all with the way he's playing, and yes it's early in the season, but I do believe he has a great impact on the play of this unit, both run and pass, and will continue to do so, especially with the DE rotation we employ.

One angle I'm very keen to see is when TJ McDonald is eligible to play is... do we introduce a 3 Safety, 4-2 package, as a base D in certain situations. With Jones and McDonald in the alley, you get the impact of an athletic 44 with the versatility of a bigger nickel package. Could be an interesting option to defend any teams that employ a 12 personnel Offense... hmmmmm :)

And looking ahead, hopefully both Lippett & McMillan return in good health, then really with the above, what we're really missing is a true FS and a better Nickel.

The rankings are based on per game performance and not really effected by one less game....total points and total yards yes.
This. Most numbers are based on average per game. Clearly we have an advantage of total yards given up with 1 less game played but throw that out and look at YPG. Honestly the D looks much better than last year. Then throw in getting McDonald later on. .... Just need this O to stop looking so shitty. I can only imagine how good it a team we would look like if Tannehill didnt get hurt.

We now have a pretty big physical Defense. Last year we couldn't stop the run and it was the obvious weakness that needed to be addressed. We added tough veteran players like William Hayes, Lawrence Timmons, Rey Maualuga and drafted Davon Godchaux to help Ndamukong Suh up front. Net effect, our Defense is a lot bigger and stronger than it has been for decades. For months we have had FH posters like SOS, absolutely ridiculing new Defensive Coordinator for having no idea how to coach the Defense, but it now appears to be the strength of the team.
With the Offense struggles to come together, we need the strong Defense to keep opponents to low scores.

Add about 225 more rush yards and 450 passing yards after next week and we will be right where we're supposed to be.

Very impressed with how the defense is performing. Burke looked lost the first few weeks but it seems he is settling in now. Also lol at everyone including myself freaking out over Charles Harris this preseason, dude can ball and we need someone to replace Wake desperately. Great pick by our FO, in fact this entire class is looking real nice.

Back
Top Bottom