Miami Dolphins $13.6 million under cap | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins $13.6 million under cap

BAMAPHIN 22

FinHeaven Elite
Reaction score
ESPN’s John Clayton is reporting that Miami is currently $13.6 million under the salary cap in the proposed collective bargaining agreement. The assumption exists that either includes Paul Soliai’s $12.5 million salary from his franchise tender, or that the franchise tag will not count toward the cap this year. The possibility exists that Soliai’s salary can be subtracted from the cap as well, or that cap relief and exemptions will cause the cap to “feel closer” to $130 million, meaning the Dolphins would have about $25-$26 million to spend.

If the Dolphins indeed have just $13.6 million to spend, they will likely have about $7 million after they sign rookies and re-sign certain players. They could have a little more if they cut veterans like Benny Sapp and/or Tyrone Culver. They can also save some money by negotiating a long-term deal with Soliai and restructuring Vernon Carey’s contract if he is amenable to that. It seems the Dolphins enough room to sign one marquee player like DeAngelo Williams and perhaps a cheap veteran quarterback and plugging other holes while hopefully saving some for the future. Of course, as I have detailed before, they must plan to save some money for 2012 to avoid losing several key free agents.

http://www.dolphinsblog.com/miami-d...m_campaign=Feed:+DolphinsBlog+(Dolphins+Blog)

Yeah I just saw Clayton's article on possible salary cap casualities and he has every team's salary cap info.

I don't see how we're going to be big players in the free agent market if this is accurate. I know if we sign Solai to a long term deal then that will help. Any players with big contracts that might become expendable in people's opinion?? Carey, Polite, Crowder???

Yeah I just saw Clayton's article on possible salary cap casualities and he has every team's salary cap info.

I don't see how we're going to be big players in the free agent market if this is accurate. I know if we sign Solai to a long term deal then that will help. Any players with big contracts that might become expendable in people's opinion?? Carey, Polite, Crowder???

Carey would probably be the biggest. He signed a fat contract not to long ago. Remember, Crowder almost didn't resign with us because we weren't going to pay him much. Took having lunch with Zach Thomas to convince him to stay. Man, i wish that lunch never happened...

Also worth noting, teams will have 72 hours to resign their own players before free agency begins. Say we use as much money as possible to keep Wake and Solai, then throw the rest at Ahmad Bradshaw.

Carey would probably be the biggest. He signed a fat contract not to long ago. Remember, Crowder almost didn't resign with us because we weren't going to pay him much. Took having lunch with Zach Thomas to convince him to stay. Man, i wish that lunch never happened...

Also worth noting, teams will have 72 hours to resign their own players before free agency begins. Say we use as much money as possible to keep Wake and Solai, then throw the rest at Ahmad Bradshaw.

Part of the issue with Crowder is that he didn't feel like anyone else was going to give him more than that, and in the mean time, we could have signed someone else to replace him.

13 million? Thats it.. Who is this "capologist" we hired again... A self proclaimed capologist?

We've been a very aggressive team in spending the last few years. Brandon Marshall and Karlos Dansby got huge deals last year. Solai just got a 12 million dollar franchise tag. Carey signed a huge contract after this regime's first year plus you have Jake Long who became the highest paid Tackle in football after he was drafted number 1.

We're going to have to cut a decent player or two if we want to make a splash in free agency. The 13.6 will probably go down to 7 after we sign our rookies.

I think Carey is a big possibility to get cut. Murtha already said the coaches told him he was going to compete for the starting RT spot. He's got a huge contract and he's been an average RT the last couple of seasons.

Polite and Crowder are options to get cut not because their salary is out of control but because we have capable replacements that are cheaper already on board. We just drafted Clay so I think Polite is expendable. Dobbins is just average but not a huge drop off from Crowder, plus we get Edds coming back from injury this year.

Culver should be cut as well and if we sign Solai to a long term contract than we should have tons of cap room to sign a couple of solid players.

Murtha already said the coaches told him he was going to compete for the starting RT spot. He's got a huge contract and he's been an average RT the last couple of seasons.

Murtha is going to get blown out of the water in that competition, even by an average Vernon

Wake is not a free agent..

Wake is not a free agent..

There isn't anyone on this team that deserves a new contract more then Cameron Wake. Next year he will be in the third year of a 4 year deal. We need to lock him down and give him what he has earned.

It appears Free Agency for both Free Agents & Undrafted Rookies will be a bit of chaos, like an After Christmas sale ... with folks lined up early for a wild session of "Let's Make a Deal."

Although the Dolphins have a few Positions (QB & RB) and Current Players they need to lock up ... I think this scramble benefits the Dolphins (& other ave. & lower teams).

Outside of 15 or so solid players ... the Dolphins have the flexibility to upgrade many players if a "Deal" pops up.

Deals will be made, surprises will occur (upgrades or spending alot of $$$) which leads to cutting players ... who then become available ... as everyone tries to upgrade.

May be a decent amount of churning as upgrades are made!!! Heck, we may churn some ave. players with high cap numbers!!

tyron culver, benny sapp, channing crowder, vernon carey, and polite will get cut. that will save us around 15 million.. so, we should have around 25 to spend :)

tyron culver, benny sapp, channing crowder, vernon carey, and polite will get cut. that will save us around 15 million.. so, we should have around 25 to spend :)

I like your list.

We're too thin to "cut" most of them ... but we could "upgrade" them!! Let the churning begin!!

It appears Free Agency for both Free Agents & Undrafted Rookies will be a bit of chaos, like an After Christmas sale ... with folks lined up early for a wild session of "Let's Make a Deal."

Although the Dolphins have a few Positions (QB & RB) and Current Players they need to lock up ... I think this scramble benefits the Dolphins (& other ave. & lower teams).

Outside of 15 or so solid players ... the Dolphins have the flexibility to upgrade many players if a "Deal" pops up.

Deals will be made, surprises will occur (upgrades or spending alot of $$$) which leads to cutting players ... who then become available ... as everyone tries to upgrade.

May be a decent amount of churning as upgrades are made!!! Heck, we may churn some ave. players with high cap numbers!!

Yup lots can happen. I wouldn't be surprised if they make some trades either.

Back
Top Bottom