Miami Dolphins $13.6 million under cap | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins $13.6 million under cap

First of all, Carey's contract wasn't that huge. The year he got the contract, profootballfocus.com had him top 3 amongst RT's in the NFL. 5 million for a guy who plays at a high level and just missed his first few games last year isn't high at all for top tier OL.

If Carey is healthy and at a decent weight there is no reason to even think about moving him. On the other hand, if his knee appears weak and he shows up to camp 30lbs. overweight, you might have to think about it.

I'm quite sure that Vernon, his agent, his family, his friends,and his S&C coaches are all aware that it may be possible that he is released. With that in mind, I think Vernon is going to show up in great shape and play his heart out this year. If he gets cut at his age he isn't going to a another contract close to the one he now has.

The Dolphins don't need to cut their solid RT to have cap room. There are plenty of other guys to cut.

Crowder,Culver,Sapp,Berger,Dobbins,McQuistan, should all be cut IMO. That would create about 10 mil in room.

With the outstanding play of Amaya and Jones, and the decent play of Carroll and Ness, and the return of Will Allen, Sapp and Culver are totally obsolete. Crowder and Dobbins really suck! they must be replaced. Dolphins could move Misi inside and Edds returns healthy, and Spitler and Rivera are a couple of big athletic youngsters with upside as well.

Berger should be tradable. With Pouncey starting and Incognito available to slide over and Garner available in a pinch, Berger is expendable, and he should bring a decent pick. He is a lot better than this site gives him credit for. He wasn't ranked in the top ten last year, but he wasn't ranked in the bottom ten either. I'd guess somewhere between 4th-6th, depending on circumstance. Example: If Sendlien leaves AZ during free agency they are up the crick in a big way. They would be desperate as there is nothing much available as far as centers in free agency and this year's draft class was a joke. Dolphins could get a 4th in those circumstances IMO.

I doubt Polite could replaced for less. Polite will stay another year. Polite has converted 20 of 20 third and fourth down short yardage 1st downs. That is phenomenal.

The cap will be more like 130 mil and I am very confident Soliai will be signed to a long term deal that is more cap friendly.

Dolphins will be huge players in the market for a RB and 2 or even 3 outside LB's depending on if they make an offer to Moses or not.

They will have the cap space to bring in D.Williams, Manny Lawson and Mathias Kiwanuka. That would be enough to make me a believer in a playoff experience.

We are in pretty good shape fellas...teams like Dallas and the Jets are the ones who are hurting.

We are in pretty good shape fellas...teams like Dallas and the Jets are the ones who are hurting.

WOW its hard to belive we are in good shape i cant remember when we had capspace to sign FA players its been a long time sice we had cap space to play with lol

First of all, Carey's contract wasn't that huge. The year he got the contract, profootballfocus.com had him top 3 amongst RT's in the NFL. 5 million for a guy who plays at a high level and just missed his first few games last year isn't high at all for top tier OL.

If Carey is healthy and at a decent weight there is no reason to even think about moving him. On the other hand, if his knee appears weak and he shows up to camp 30lbs. overweight, you might have to think about it.

I'm quite sure that Vernon, his agent, his family, his friends,and his S&C coaches are all aware that it may be possible that he is released. With that in mind, I think Vernon is going to show up in great shape and play his heart out this year. If he gets cut at his age he isn't going to a another contract close to the one he now has.

The Dolphins don't need to cut their solid RT to have cap room. There are plenty of other guys to cut.

Crowder,Culver,Sapp,Berger,Dobbins,McQuistan, should all be cut IMO. That would create about 10 mil in room.

With the outstanding play of Amaya and Jones, and the decent play of Carroll and Ness, and the return of Will Allen, Sapp and Culver are totally obsolete. Crowder and Dobbins really suck! they must be replaced. Dolphins could move Misi inside and Edds returns healthy, and Spitler and Rivera are a couple of big athletic youngsters with upside as well.

Berger should be tradable. With Pouncey starting and Incognito available to slide over and Garner available in a pinch, Berger is expendable, and he should bring a decent pick. He is a lot better than this site gives him credit for. He wasn't ranked in the top ten last year, but he wasn't ranked in the bottom ten either. I'd guess somewhere between 4th-6th, depending on circumstance. Example: If Sendlien leaves AZ during free agency they are up the crick in a big way. They would be desperate as there is nothing much available as far as centers in free agency and this year's draft class was a joke. Dolphins could get a 4th in those circumstances IMO.

I doubt Polite could replaced for less. Polite will stay another year. Polite has converted 20 of 20 third and fourth down short yardage 1st downs. That is phenomenal.

The cap will be more like 130 mil and I am very confident Soliai will be signed to a long term deal that is more cap friendly.

Dolphins will be huge players in the market for a RB and 2 or even 3 outside LB's depending on if they make an offer to Moses or not.

They will have the cap space to bring in D.Williams, Manny Lawson and Mathias Kiwanuka. That would be enough to make me a believer in a playoff experience.

L.Polite's most important job is to run block for whoever is the feature back and he struggled at it last year. I realize the conversions were impressive but not enough to keep him, I'd much rather bring in V.Leach for more money and see the results in our run game. I believe Polite's struggles to run block were as big a factor in our poor run game as was the poor play of the injured oline.

If were gonna really help Henne out with a strong run game then a real FB is a smart upgrade and not a real expensive move either.

I would like for miami to restructure Carey, sign mankins to solidify our o line. Then henne won't have any excuses. I think they can cut crowder or restructure him as well. Please cut sapp, do not sign Ricky or Ronnie. Bradshaw or Williams will be great. I like we were smart during an uncapped year and don't forget, roster cuts will increase our spending. The jets are screwed :)

WOW its hard to belive we are in good shape i cant remember when we had capspace to sign FA players its been a long time sice we had cap space to play with lol

Hold on, I thought our FO were a bunch of incompetent a$$holes. This can't be accurate.

L.Polite's most important job is to run block for whoever is the feature back and he struggled at it last year. I realize the conversions were impressive but not enough to keep him, I'd much rather bring in V.Leach for more money and see the results in our run game. I believe Polite's struggles to run block were as big a factor in our poor run game as was the poor play of the injured oline.

If were gonna really help Henne out with a strong run game then a real FB is a smart upgrade and not a real expensive move either.

Man are you dreaming. Leach is the premiere FB in the NFL these days. PFF had him ranked 6th amongst FA RB's and FB's. He was the only FB on the list. And you think he will be inexpensive????

He will end up returning to Houston or signing with one of these teams that are forced to spend more money to get up to the cap spending floor. Polite may get beaten out by Clay or Hilliard, if they even use them at FB this year, but I would be shocked if they tried to sign Leach. They may very well bring in a rookie free agent to compete, or to just put on the PS, but I doubt Polite loses his position this year.

why is it when we talk about cutting people.. carey is first on their list?

I can't speak for others

But, for me, he doesn't play well enough to even come close to justifying his pay. He has had physical issues the last few years right?

The main thing for me though, is his attitude. When Long was possibly gonna miss a game he pretty much refused to move to LT if they needed him to.

Inflated contract, medical issues and not willing to do what it takes to help the team.... That equates to cya later for me.

Right tackles have to be really good to be worth a lot of money because it's not difficult to replace them and still get mediocre play at the position.

Someone I know in coaching (high school) disagrees with me but I also think that Carey is not best suited for the kinds of run plays that Daboll will install. Not that I think he'll be BAD in those plays, they're just not the kinds of plays where he can be great, and so it limits his value.

I don't know that you have an accurate account of what Vernon Carey said about the possibility of moving to left tackle in place of Jake Long. I know that Carey has been reluctant to move around after how his career started, but I don't think he would or did flat out refuse anyone.

I think that whether we think it's a good thing or not, the Dolphins are thinking about it. There was a lot of language coming out from people like Dan Henning and whatnot (whose opinion I'm sure was shared) that expressed frustration with Carey's inconsistency. When a guy is making like $6 million or $7 million a year, and you start hearing coaches talk about "When he's on, he's good, but..." then you know the guy is in danger. So that I think is why we fans keep ending up talking about him...because we sense the Dolphins are thinking about it.

I don't know how accurate Clayton's number is or whatever, but as I understand it there are complicating factors in the form of cap credits and whatnot, and so the truth of how much space they have is probably known only to the Dolphins. I don't think you'd ever see the Dolphins acquire more than two big names in an off season so I just kind of take it like that, they have enough room to be doing what they normally would want to be doing. I imagine they'd take up a DeAngelo Williams, Ahmad Bradshaw or (unfortunately) Reggie Bush, and then still try and make their push for Carson Palmer, Kyle Orton or Donovan McNabb. I still have a tough time reasoning that they'd go for Vince Young, just seems really out of character for them as far as the whole leadership/work ethic thing is concerned. With whatever they have left over I'd expect they show interest in a pass rusher. I'm still hoping Antwan Barnes. Seems like a good value pick. Can help with 3rd down rush.

I'm not sure if these are totally accurate but these are what spotrac shows for player contract cap #'s for 2011.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/miami-dolphins/

Carey $5.85 million
Crowder $ 2.5 million
Sapp $ 1.7 million
Dobbins $1.7 million
Culver $1.25 million
Polite $1.24 million
Berger $800 K
Moore $ 490 K
Pruitt $415 K

Carey's cap number is pretty high this year (but not for a top 5 RT). I just don't see him being cut if he shows up to camp in shape. He will only be 30 years old this year so he could have a lot of good years left in this league. He's got to know he won't ever see money like the one he got in his recent contract so one would think he would come to camp prepared. Maybe though it can be restructured.

Crowder really isn't that big of a cap hit either. Until some other linebacker on the roster proves they are a better replacement he isn't going anywhere.

As for the rest I would be very worried about being cut.

Polite could replaced by Clay at FB/H-Back

Sapp could be replaced by Allen/Carroll at the nickel.

Culver could be replaced by Amaya/Jones/Wilson on ST's and 6 DB packages.

Dobbins could be replaced by Edds.

Berger could be replaced by Pouncey.

More and Pruitt could be replaced by Gates.

Those cuts right there would provide the team with an extra $7.5 million in cap space. Couple that in with signing Soliai to a long/term restructured deal and we could easily be $20 million under the cap before free-agency starts. This would give us plenty of money to sign a high priced RB to compliment Daniels, a QB to compete with Henne, and OLB to compliment Wake.

The only guys among them that I could see being cut would be Carey and Sapp. Otherwise it doesn't make enough sense to cut those other guys.

I guess I am one of the few who likes Carey. No he's not a Jake Long or even in the top 5 to 7 of RT's but he is in the top 15 IMO. When healthy, he is more than capable of holding down the right side of the line. Perhaps his money is too large to deal with but it would be hard, not impossible, to find a RT as good as he is. But what do I know I'm just a fan.

I do agree it's time for Crowder to go and we have Dobbins and Edds to step in his place. Perhaps even Misi if the FO wants to go after a big time pass rusher to put opposite Wake. This is going to be like a Christmas for football fans when it all starts!

The Reason that we will have Cap Space is because we have finally been able to find cheaper FA signings and effectively Draft Starters!!! Wanny ruined this team by giving away picks for bums and picking based on need, instead of best player available. Eddie Moore and Seth Mckinney were terrible and desperate reaches!!! Jamar Fletcher???? Drew Brees was the best player available and also a need but Wanny thought we needed a 1st rd nickle back!!! You win Super Bowls through the Draft. The Steelers, Green Bay, Colts, and Saints built their teams through the Draft and use FA to supplement their needs. Thats how you balance the Cap, by paying rookie salaries instead of filling the roster with average players that make 3 million a year!!! This Regime takes a lot of heat for wasted draft picks and not producing a Winner, and rightfully so. They rarely get credit for good drafts and making this roster 10 times better than it was when they took over the Team. The only difference between the talent of our team and the the talent of the last 5 teams to win the Super Bowl is a Franchise QB....... Thats it!!! I just hope Henne can turn it around and become the QB we thought he was capable of becoming after the 09 season.

Back
Top Bottom