Miami Dolphins 2008 Season- Prediction Thread

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Bumrush, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Bumrush

Bumrush FinHeaven VIP

Ok.. So last year I thought the new Cameron regime was on the right path... So I predicted a 10 win season. Now that I'm done laughing at myself, I'd like to get a thread going on the 08' season, which to many is part of a long rebuilding process..

Here goes: Miami Dolphins finish the season 8-8, and Ricky Williams is seriously considered for MVP. Our D starts off the season with some rough games but steadily improves over the course of the season. Bess shines, and Hagan is relegated to bench warmer by the end of the year after another disappointing season. John Beck will become an afterthought after Henne lights it up in relief of Chad P.

2. Phins Rock

Phins Rock Scout Team

I learned my lesson last year; 6-10.

Untill we step onto that field in Week 1 and prove otherwise, we are a 1-15 team trying to climb it's way back up...

3. Pinkboy

Pinkboy Banned Hammered

Last year at this time I predicted 4-12. This year I predict 8-8 barring serious key injuries.

4. WVDolphan

WVDolphan Banned Hammered

1)We finally kick the **** out of the Jets and Bills at least once out of two tries.

2)Ricky has a nice season.

3)Going out on a limb here but......Ronnie gets injured:lol: Ok that one is just a joke.

3)The defense finishes in the upper half of the NFL in yards and PPG against.

4)The offense shows some respectability and scores enough to win us some games

5)John Beck averages 2.7 drops of the clipboard per game and his supporters suggest it wasnt his fault for a variety of reasons(someone greases it as a gag, that string that hangs from it to attach to his belt gets snagged etc etc..)

6)Someone on our defense has more sacks than Jason Taylor does for Washington

7)We win more games than Washington

8)Will Allen continues to show he is an excellent corner with top notch tackling skills on the outside and only a handful of posters give him credit for it

9)Ted Ginn takes at least 3 kick returns(punt or KO) back for scores

10)Ted Ginn has a nice season as a receiver

11)Wilford shows us why we signed him, leading the team in TD catches

12)Martin winds up outproducing Fasano in receiving numbers yet everyone will continue to bash him and pretend Fasano is damn near a pro bowl TE

13)Satele will miss a bunch of blocks and no one will notice in the midst of pretending he is a great C

14)Jason Allen will hardly see the field unless a bunch of injuries happen and people will continue to suggest he is improving and should be given a shot

15)The phins win between 7-11 games

EDIT : 16) Someone will bash me personally for at least one of these predictions. 17)There will be at least one player that I dont already hate on that I will begin to during or after the season.

5. armyfinfan

armyfinfan Seasoned Veteran

5-11 We will lose many close games, our kick coverage teams will not be that good and we will continue to have far to many penalties. Pennington will be a pleasant surprise our running game will be very strong as long as we can stay in games and our defensive line will be the strength of our defense. I believe our offense is the strength of this team and our linebackers and defensive backs will be our biggest weakness.

6. hoops

hoops exited stage left

6-10

the lack of pass rush from the olb position the killer on this 3-4 defense. secondary exposed as a result.

run d much better with the likes of ferguson, langford, starks, and merling in the mix.

we need legit playmakers and we will get them next offseason.

still, a much more competitive and much improved team.

7. miami234ever

miami234ever DenverCheesesteak

WV, I agreed with you on everything besides 12-14 (and 16 unless you count me as bashing you, but really I'm not lol.) I don't see any way possible Martin has better stats than Fasano or that Satele sucks it up (especially practicing against Ferguson now). Allen I think will start the season, even though it's been said that crocker will start. Other than that, nice post WV.

8. raphinmx

raphinmx Starter

6-10, we were too much in the deep to think of climbing higher on one season.

9. phinfan_1

phinfan_1 Pro Bowler

2) Agree..I think Ricky will excel this season.

3) Agree...lol...

4) Agree

6) Agree.. Jason is injured and didn't do much last year..

8) Agree.. Will Allen is a good corner...good tackler...just needs to learn how to catch the ball in games.

10) Agree... looks like Ginn is our biggest threat at WR right now.

13) Agree...Satele does make mistakes and no one seems to notice...I think every one just sees his long hair and thinks he's great...Although I don't think he stinks..at this point I think Tim Ruddy was better then him...Ruddy didn't have the strength of Satele, not that Satele is strong it's just that Ruddy was weak...but Ruddy's awareness and football iq is way better than Satele. I hope he improves.

14) Agree...J. Allen sometimes shows some nice plays...unfortunately he is very inconsistent...and sometimes looks lost out there...I think I'd rather have consistency back there and not give up plays. I hope he improves..

10. ZachThomas76

ZachThomas76 Banned Hammered

#5 is awesome lol and #13 is very accurate. i recall a few weeks back being told Satele is a "franchise" center already. to me, when you throw that term around, it means the guy is a player you can build your whole franchise around. Samson Satele is that already? come on now.

11. DirkDiggler

DirkDiggler Banned Hammered

My Prediction: Win some lose some!

12. fishfan34

fishfan34 2008 AFC EASTERN DIVISION CHAMPIONS!

I see 6-10. I think we will win some games we shouldn't and lose some game we shouldn't. I think Chad will stay healthy for the entire season and play well and be efficient in the passing game. I think our Offensive line and Running game will rise to a level we haven't seen around here for quite sometime, but that we might struggle in the passing game as far as protection, but, I think Chad is the perfect QB with how quick he can make decisions. I think Defense will be inconsistent early. We will have some lights out games, followed by games where we can't seem to do anything defensively. I think the running game will be our most consistent and effective part of the team and will keep us in most games with Time of Possession. I see IMO, our win's being Jets in Miami, Arizona, Houston (Finally), Baltimore, Raiders, and Kansas City. Possible wins against the 49ers and Rams to put us at 8-8. I know I don't show us beating the Patriots or Bills at all, but, I don't think we'll break through yet this season beating them either in Miami or at their places. I think Week 1 against the Jets reminds me of 3 years ago against the Broncos. They have the more proven talent and probably a better team, yet, we win. They'll probably get us back at Giants stadium.

13. Nosferatu

Nosferatu Gaijin Samurai

I'm optimistically thinking 8-8. Also, I don't think Ricky has any chance at MVP, but my money is on comeback player of the year.

14. 67Stang

67Stang FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

8-8 with a strong finish

15. Awsi Dooger

Awsi Dooger A True Fan

I guess I'll join the chorus at 6-10. At that point we return to irrelevancy. At 1-15 at least we were unique.

16. uga3406

uga3406 Pro Bowler

not that much offense from what i c out there ...who knows how well the defense will play so im going to say 5-11

17. Jeep

Jeep Premium Member Donator

There are two things that will hurt us.. The weak links are the WR's and the Corners.. If we can address these two areas in the next 4 weeks or so, I can see a 9-7 season.. If not, then expect to see alot of 1st downs given up on 3rd and 4th down and a 6-10 dissapointing season..

18. PENNDOLPHAN

PENNDOLPHAN Banned Hammered

I expect us to finish with a 7-9 record.
    On defense:
    Top 10 in defense
    Top 5 in rush D
    In the 20s in Pass D
    In the 20s in Sacks

On offense:
    Top 15 in Offense
    Top 5 in rushing offense
    Top 15 in passing offense

And just to piss of WV, i expect a pro bowl season from john beck after CP goes down with injury, a pro bowl season from Satele, and a pro bowl season from Jason allen.

Beck will throw for 32 TDs and for 3500 yards
    Satele will be a beast and help the R and R express rush for 2000 yards.
    JA will have 8 interceptions,90+ tackles, and 3 FF.

19. PENNDOLPHAN

PENNDOLPHAN Banned Hammered

i agree with everything you said but the bold part. A 6-10 season will be good this year, especially after last year.

20. phinfan_1

phinfan_1 Pro Bowler

I think the weak spot is WR's...so not sure how much it will effect the offense but I'm sure it will to some degree..Hopefully our passing game will pose a threat so they can't key on the running game.

Also I know our pass rush looked good in the preseason but I'm worried about that to....because if we don't get pressure on the passer it's going to be a long season.

I'm not worried about the CB's but I'm worried about our pass defense because I think we might commit to many people to rush the passer and that's gonna leave some pass plays open underneath...and if we don't get to the passer it will only compound the problem.

21. ojmcduffy

ojmcduffy Seasoned Veteran

im thinking 8-8 would be phenominal but i goota be different so 7-9

22. Tetragrammaton

Tetragrammaton A True Fan

I had us at 4-12. When we got Pennington, I bumped it up to 6-10. Based on our defensive play, I could see us stealing another win.

23. PASQUALE

PASQUALE Seasoned Veteran

10-6

Jets W
    Cardinals W
    Patriots L
    Chargers L
    Texans W
    Ravens W
    Bills W
    Broncos L
    Seahawks L
    Raiders W
    Patriots W
    Rams W
    Bills L
    49ers W
    Chiefs W
    Jets L

24. csabe

csabe Pro Bowler

I'm gonna say 7-9 if Pennington stays healthy.

25. XXXSURTAINXXX

XXXSURTAINXXX THE SACRIFICIAL DOLPHIN

If you cheer, they will hear!!!! 12-4 baby!!!!!

26. arcane1229

arcane1229 Starter

I'm going with 10-6 and even though I could go into trying to explain this i'm going to take the lazy man's route. In 06 the Jets were thought to be only able to win 3 to 5 games that year, but everyone said if Penny stayed healthy they would win more. They had less talent than this team and were older. Penny stayed healthy and managed that team to a 10-6 record, he didnt even have the running game that this team has and a weaker o-line. Gotta be optimistic and say we get 10 wins!!!

27. CedarPhin

CedarPhin Finheaven Hall of Shame Hammered

I see 6-10 or 7-9

We may not be good yet, but we're getting there. I think we'll definitely see an improved product out on the field this season.

28. Bleed GnW

Bleed GnW Rookie

We had two quality receivers in Coles and Cotchery. Who do the dolphins have? Ginn has shown barely anything and beyond him I have no clue. We struck gold when we drafted Mangold (pun intended) at center, D'Brick is still developing, but we had veterans on that line that gave Pennington protection. Our defense turned it on after our bye and was 6th overall after that bye.

I see this team more like the 07 jets. Developing defense that will struggle. Below average oline. Pennington will be forced into throws he knows he can't make and it could result in costly interceptions. Expect to see Beck or Henne by week 7 or 8.

29. nerfball

nerfball A True Fan

it will be refreshing to see miami out-work teams and get wins on effort alone.

besides that, we'll see a big improvement on defense and that will also add to the win total. a better pass rush will help the secondary and they will stop the run better, too.

we are thin in some areas, although, the starters are pretty good. if we can stay away from injuries, the team will get 8 wins.

the offensive line will also be a big upgrade this year. this allows pennington protection and time in the pocket, where he will increasingly get more comfortable.

although, the receiving corps is much maligned around here and in general, they won't be nearly as bad as most people think. pennington will make them better and we'll be surprised by that group.

ricky williams, barring injuring again, will be very good, but not 2000 yards good.

teams can no longer pencil in a win when they see the dolphins on the schedule. and that's a good feeling of pride again. come to miami and you'll have a fight on your hands.

30. BassFin

BassFin Starter

They will split wins with all the other AFC East teams.

Pennington has his best statistical year as a pro.

Ronnie and Ricky will get 1,000 yds each.

Ted Ginn will return 4 kicks for TDS and get to 1,000 yds receiving and 8 TDs

The D-Line will pressure the pocket enough to allow the secondary to make plays and keep the defense respectable.

And the special team's play (a weak point under that horrible ST coach Armstrong) will be much improved.

This is not only practically a new team, but more importantly, a new attitude. Last year's team played down to it's coach's personality. This year's team is tougher mentally. The Fins lost 6 games last year by 3 points or less. Turn those around and they go 7-9. This team is much better than last year's.

At worst, 8-8. At best 10-6. Either way, most imroved team in the NFL this year.

31. Dolphin_Daz

Dolphin_Daz Dolfan in England

We are gonna have some fun this season. I cant seriuosyl believe one fan here believes we have a shot at the superbowl, so its a 'free' year to go out, get these youung guys some experience and play spoiler to a few teams while racking up a few victories ourselves. I think best we can do is 8-8, but will go for 6-10. Cannot wait for this season. :)

32. arcane1229

arcane1229 Starter

I see what you mean however, Cotch was unproven at the time, Coles ofcourse everyone knew was Penny's favorite target. The o-line was ok at best, Kendall did make a difference on that line. This 08 Dolphin defense can, and has the potential of being a very good defense, better than the Jets defense in 06 and now. I hope you are not one of those Jets fans that really believes that Penny was not the reason your team went to the playoffs three times since 02, with 06 being the last time, which is after the shoulder surgeries. I am not saying that Penny is a great QB, but with a strong running game his numbers will be in the top ten and if you have a top 10 QB and a strong running game you're gonna win games.

33. BigCityCat

BigCityCat Scout Team

10 and 6

34. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

Finally WV

You've convinced me!!!

yes
    you
    have
    !!!

...that the Fins will finish a respectable 7-9!!! (tied with the Jets)
    (but nothing would make me happier than you throwing this prediction back at me this time next year!)

[​IMG]

35. R_t_Kraken

R_t_Kraken A True Fan

Man, you guys are bringing me down, all these 6-10, 7-9s. Realism mixed with a little bit of optimism is the ultimate combination, trusteth me.

DL is getting some push, looks sharp. I can see the secondary surprising. Pennington will have some ups, some downs. Ricky and Ronnie will run a muck behind this young powerful OL. Ginn will likely be used mostly in short passes in space to create, and create he will, much like Welker did for the Pats. LBs are average, and don't look good in coverage at all.

Because of the OL/Ronnie/Ricky/Ginn alone, if we have a halfway decent defense which I anticipate we will, we won't lose more than 8 games. So my prediction is 9-7.

edit: oh, and a little prediction. Fasano will surprise and amass around 600 yards receiving with 3 to 5 TD catches.

36. Finch83

Finch83 Starter

6-10 is my prediction as well.

I DO think we win Week 1 though.

37. FINOMINAL

FINOMINAL Scout Team

We will be 2-0 after the first game. THAT’S HOW BAD WE ARE GOING TO BEAT THE jets!!!!

38. R_t_Kraken

R_t_Kraken A True Fan

i lol'd.:lol:

39. Gordykr

Gordykr Falkirk PhinFan Donator

I predict a vast improvement on last years performances and results , i can see the Phins with a 9-7 record and perhaps sneaking a wildcard spot . Biggest improvement will be the Defensive line and the running game(helped by our new OL .

40. Bleed GnW

Bleed GnW Rookie

But cotchery had a stellar training camp in 2006 and right out the gate week 1 he started showing his potential and has continued to excel ever since.

The offense we had up in new york played to Pennington's strengths. Without him, yes I do not think we would have made the playoffs in 06. We ran an offense that was smoke and mirrors and worked well. 07 though defenses caught on, our oline was one of the worst, and pennington was a liability.

Pennington will NEVER be a top 10 quarterback. You're fooling yourself if you believe that. IF you give him solid pass protection, he can be a good game manager. But once you guys fall behind, it will be time to rely on chad's arm, and that is something a team NEVER wants, with his arm strength the way it is.