Miami Dolphins 5th round pick (#171) - Jordan Tripp LB | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins 5th round pick (#171) - Jordan Tripp LB

STRENGTHS: Possesses broad shoulders, a slim waste and a powerful lower half, looking the part of an NFL linebacker. Highly instinctive defender. Seemingly is always around the ball. Recovered 10 fumbles over his career.
Quickly steps up in run support, slipping past would-be blockers to meet backs in the hole. Tough. Willing to sacrifice his body to take on the double-team and will attempt to build a pile to jam things up for his teammates to make the easy play.

Good lateral agility to avoid and has enough strength and arm-length to shed. Patient tackler. Breaks down well, waiting for the ballcarrier to commit before latching on for the drag-down tackle.

Good vision and recognition in coverage. Balanced and fluid when dropping back, presenting a surprisingly tough matchup for running backs and tight ends. Helped himself with a solid week of practice at the Senior Bowl.

WEAKNESSES: Despite his reputation, plays with a little more finesse than physicality. Grabs and swings ballcarriers to the ground, on occasion, rather than accelerating through them.

Loses containment responsibilities by getting too caught up with blockers. Missed all but three games of the 2011 season with a shoulder injury which required season-ending surgery.

COMPARES TO: K.J. Wright, OLB, Seattle Seahawks - Like Wright, Tripp possesses the instincts to play in the middle but his fluidity and length could also see clubs view him as more effective on the perimeter. A selection outside the top 100 is likely, but Tripp could develop into a surprising starter.

Have a feeling Tripp will be a household name.

Miami Dolphins ‏@MiamiDolphins 31s

Tripp: "They're going to see a player that is in love with the organization and that is going to do anything to help this team win." #FinsUp

Miami Dolphins ‏@MiamiDolphins 36s

Tripp: "Now that I've got my opportunity, I'm going to take it and run with it."

Omar Kelly ‏@OmarKelly 1m

Jordan Tripp said his playing style resembles Derrick Brooks. "He's a run and hit guy. He can like up inside and outside."

Andrew Abramson ‏@AbramsonPBP 24s

Tripp: Dolphins are getting someone who is a team player and puts their heart out of their team.

Omar Kelly ‏@OmarKelly 57s

"My football IQ. I thought they took that into consideration," Jordan tripp said.

Whenever Montana needed a big play on Defense Tripp's name was usually involved, I'm beyond excited about him, don't be surprised if he's starting at some point.

Walter:

Miami Dolphins: Jordan Tripp, OLB, Montana: A Grade
The Dolphins were expected to choose a linebacker much earlier than this - perhaps even as high as the first round. It's late for one, but it helps that Jordan Tripp provides great value. Tripp probably should have been off the board in the Round 3-4 range.

Yeah but Walt is a basement dwelling loser, so he's prob wrong.

great pick, sounds like a good kid that is an immediate upgrade on ST. hopefully he will show up in training camp, learn the playbook and give us the option to kick Ellerbe to the outside in the immediate future. love this kid.

Omar Kelly....

"The Dolphins' west coast scout Adam Engroff is one of the best scouts in the NFL. If he gives Jordan Tripp a thumbs up....he can play."

Hope he is as good as another lb we got in the 5th round a while back.:d-day:

This is a very good pick, nice consolation prize after not getting mosley or Borland…It looks like Hickey likes leaders and "football players"...

Sounds like a good one, can't say I have known an awful lot about any of the picks today, tbh, but smarter people at me say these are good picks so that makes me happy.

Jordan Tripp, OLB

Didn't look out of place at the Senior Bowl. Fluid, instinctive and physical. Best at 4-3 OLB. Short arms and small hands.

Short arms at 30 3/4" but his hands are fine at 9 5/8".

This is the part of the draft I love, because I've never watched this guy play, yet everyone seems to love him.

Works for me. Should be at least a solid special teams contributor?

Back
Top Bottom