Miami Dolphins' Anthony Fasano conjures images of 2008 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins' Anthony Fasano conjures images of 2008

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
TV viewers watching tight end Anthony Fasano rumble a midrange bootleg pass into a 55-yard touchdown Saturday would be forgiven for thinking the game was still being delayed by lightning and a 2008 game was being rebroadcast.
That's when Fasano and David Martin (with Joey Haynos cameos) combined for the greatest season by a tight end group in Dolphins history. That combination of dependability with the occasional big play is what the Dolphins would like to get back to after a year without Martin, who has boomeranged back to Miami.

The tight end group went from a quintet to a quartet Monday when the Dolphins waived Kory Sperry.

Hopefully he can have a good year like that season. I think WAY too many people wrote him off already just because of last year.

Marshall's presence of course will help Fasano a great deal from drawing coverage to open up the middle to blocking to open up RAC. I expect Miami will go from one of the worst teams in big plays to one of the better ones.

fasano is a solid TE. esp for an offense like ours. ppl got all up in arms after last season - and he still had some real good flashes last season - this year with martin back and with marshall Fasano may truely step up.

There are many tangible reasons to explain why Fasano will be better, (Marshall being one of them) but I'm curious whether he was wrecked psychologically last year when he had that miserable first game and probably lost it for us. He seemed shellshocked for weeks after that.

I dont mind if its Fasano or Martin, I just want to see more from our TE's in the passing game, regardless of who it is.

I believe Fasano can have a productive year. Certainly the addition of Marshall will help significantly. As well as the new additions on the offensive line will benefit the running backs and tightends.

clear.gif

Fasano is productive when others around him are productive. Without another threat at tight end, he plays poorly. Same goes with Marshall and our receivers. Same also goes for Crowder. Crowder plays poorly when the talent playing with him is poor (Ayodele, Torbor). They are more dependent on a productive team than the team being dependent on their production. It isn't a bad thing, but down the road we will need to make an upgrade to a better tight end that can produce spontaneously.

Fasano has looked more comfortable. But one thing that is really exciting me is that even aside from Brandon Marshall, I've been watching David Martin pretty closely this preseason and he really genuinely looks like he hasn't missed a beat since 2008. He looks like he did back then. He can still block a DB into the turf. He can sort of handle his own against bigger guys. The important part is his feet and legs, that's why he is able to be so effective blocking DBs, because he's nearly as quick as they are and definitely much stronger. Those feet allow him to get up the field and into the top of his route in a hurry, and from what I have seen he's still the same mismatch problem out there.

If he had defected for Baltimore after getting healthy enough to play again...that would have been a double facepalm moment. Signing him back was one of the best things this front office could have done.

Hopefully last years performance embarrassed him, and he has learned from it.

Back
Top Bottom