Miami Dolphins are trying to upgrade at nickel cornerback spot | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins are trying to upgrade at nickel cornerback spot

AL R

Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
About three weeks ago Darrelle Revis’s name was making the rounds on the Miami Dolphins grapevine because someone started a rumor the former New England Patriots, New York Jets and Tampa Bay Buccaneers cornerback was on the Dolphins radar.

Obviously, nothing came of that rumor and Revis isn’t on the team now.

https://miamiherald.relaymedia.com/...-blogs/armando-salguero/article154366339.html

This is stil a need for sure..

So.... we aren't really trying to get better there. We are hoping McCain looks better.

-says we aren't going after revis
-says lippett / Maxwell can't play the slot, maybe Howard, start on the boundary and move into the nickel when needed?
-says Michael Thomas is the main competition..... yuck

Nickel corner and the offensive line were ignored in the draft and are currently our biggest holes.

One injury to Laremy Tunsil and there goes the season.

Maybe they didnt like who was available. Cant always fill every need.

Nickel corner and the offensive line were ignored in the draft and are currently our biggest holes.

One injury to Laremy Tunsil and there goes the season.

Maybe let's see what our Oline coach can do. Howard in the Nickle make sense with Maxwell, Lippit and Tank outside. Also we have Pitts at nickel I believe.

Yea maybe not affordable but I would have kept Albert 1 more year

Howard in the Nickle make sense with Maxwell, Lippit and Tank outside. Also we have Pitts at nickel I believe.

Howard is an perimeter CB. He's not suited for the nickel. Don't expect too much out of Tankersley this year. He's a backup option at this point who will need a good amount of development before securing any kind of starting position outside of special teams

Still wondering why we let Corn Elder get away from us in the draft. He would have pushed McCain hard and probably beat him out.

And this wasn't addressed in the draft b/c . . .

That was my first thought as well. I know there were other needs more pressing, but this draft did seem like a great opportunity to find someone to challenge in the nickle even in the late rounds. Desmond King comes to mind as a player who ended up going in R5.

We better look at the cut downs and not sure if anyone will be available that we will have a shot at but if the team goes into the season saying things are fine there Im afraid they could be disappointed.

It would remind me couple years back when they said we were 'fine' on the OL.

I'm the one who had a member of the media ask Cordrea Tankersley if he's been playing inside from the slot just now.

He has. He matches up in man so when his man lines up in the slot, he goes to the slot.

It was a telling answer, in a few ways.

It's telling in that we misdrafted a player for this position if that's what we're doing with him.

Tankersley is an outside press CB with vertical makeup speed. He's going to get abused in the slot.

Howard is an perimeter CB. He's not suited for the nickel. Don't expect too much out of Tankersley this year. He's a backup option at this point who will need a good amount of development before securing any kind of starting position outside of special teams

I agree.

I don't think we should take away what Howard does best and that's play the boundary.

So we're basically hoping McCain steps up lol

In all fairness, it is hard to address every need although they did do a great job IMO

I did love the Tankersley pick.

Big, fast, good ball skills, lengthy, tackles low which is great for a man his height and build.

I think Howard and Cordera are our future boundary corners.

I read something say we coveted Cordrea so much that if something crazy happened we would've pick him.

In any other draft, a guy with his size, speed, and ball skills, would be an early 2nd rder

It's telling in that we misdrafted a player for this position if that's what we're doing with him.

Tankersley is an outside press CB with vertical makeup speed. He's going to get abused in the slot.

If you say so. I think he's a man corner that'll do fine in the slot when asked to play there.

Back
Top Bottom