Miami Dolphins DC Matt Burke challenges secondary to challenge receivers | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins DC Matt Burke challenges secondary to challenge receivers

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
Hey Burke, here's a suggestion: Stop lining our DBs 10yds off the LOS.

dolphins_chargers_footb2-2.jpg

“Opposing offenses are not going to want to deal with our pass rush,” Burke said. “I think the message to the back-end guys, that’s linebackers and DB’s, is that we have to challenge throws better on the outside part of the field and match up our underneath progressions just a little bit tighter. I think it was pretty clear.”
It was only the opening game, and just as coaches had to tinker with cornerback Byron Maxwell last year to get that aggression out of him, they’re issuing the same message to the secondary this time.
“Just being more physical,” Maxwell said. “We’ve got a good rush, so it’s on us now. Put our hands on these guys and make them hold the ball until they get to the quarterback.”
http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachp...-challenges-secondary-to-challenge-receivers/

we'll see if they actually do it

Burke already seems to be making more adjustments than Vance Joseph ever did. I guess that's what happens when you aren't on the fast track to a head coach gig but trying to prove yourself in the league.

The one difference being thru week 1 I don't see the same level situational disguise of blitz packages that vj deployed.

But it's a very small sample size.

Burke already seems to be making more adjustments than Vance Joseph ever did. I guess that's what happens when you aren't on the fast track to a head coach gig but trying to prove yourself in the league.

The one difference being thru week 1 I don't see the same level situational disguise of blitz packages that vj deployed.

But it's a very small sample size.

the Chargers game was as vanilla as you'll ever see from a regular season game. we'll see how things develop from here on out not that the rust is gone.

Just saw Chris Simms on Florio's PFT CBS show predict a Jets narrow upset based on his belief that the Fins have the worst back 7 in the league, especially without Timmons.

Think that might be some hyperbole, but really, if some of these guys don't step up, the Fins are definitely vulnerable.

the Chargers game was as vanilla as you'll ever see from a regular season game. we'll see how things develop from here on out not that the rust is gone.

Burke made absolutely zero adjustments against SD. He let Hull play every defensive snap.

Burke made absolutely zero adjustments against SD. He let Hull play every defensive snap.

He has no real choice. Other than Allen and he hasn't been here long enough

Miami needs Kiko and Timmons and we will be fine at lb. if anthony gives us anything it's gravy.

But we need Kiko and Timmons to stay healthy otherwise the nickel is a serious problem.

We didn't address our 2 real secondary weaknesses in the draft (FS and nickel corner) and we're paying for it a little. The Lippett, Raekwon and esp Timmons losses couldn't have been predicted.

I'd like to see us try Verner in the slot against the Jets. Won't be his biggest test and let's us see how he gets on.

I'm less worried about McCain then Maxwell maybe that's me. And hull wears a bigger target then anyone on the field

if the 2 second release is correct, hard to have effective pass rush.
If our CB's disrupt causing QB to hold ball longer maybe we have something?

I've been waiting for this for a while. Still remember Olivadotti's "bend but don't break" defenses where our CB's always lined up 10 yards off the LOS. It's the reason we had so many high-scoring games with Marino, because we HAD to score. I'm really hoping we go back to the bump-and-run that we had with JJ.

The whole back 7 struggled last week but there was NO pass rush at all. Howard got beat all day and Maxwell playing 10 yards off is not his game. After watching that game it's pretty easy to understand why they gave TJM that contract extension. I can't wait for him to get in there as our nickle LB even thought he's a safety. Also, it's time they give Tank a chance to play. He did pretty good in pre season games and I know it's not the same but you have to try something.

Ozzy rules!!

Back
Top Bottom