Miami Dolphins DC Matt Burke challenges secondary to challenge receivers | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins DC Matt Burke challenges secondary to challenge receivers

Wasn't the whole reason reason we went to the Wide-9 was because we were supposed to be able to better pressure the QB? Didn't our sack numbers go down last year? And this year there is no pressure on the QB. Why are we still employing this scheme when it is not doing what it was intended to do?

Wasn't the whole reason reason we went to the Wide-9 was because we were supposed to be able to better pressure the QB? Didn't our sack numbers go down last year? And this year there is no pressure on the QB. Why are we still employing this scheme when it is not doing what it was intended to do?
You need good pass rushers to use it. Outside of Wake and Suh I don't see consistent pass rushers. Branch and Hayes are better run supporters

Couldn't tell ya.

When the offense knows that your primary pass rushers are the 4 on the DL and you have off the ball LB's who are poor blizers, it makes the o-lines job much easier to ID their pass pro assignments.

We played a decent amount of press coverage vs the Chargers when the CB was singled up on boundary, wide splits, and with Jones vs Gates when flexed. Problems arose when the pass rush couldn't get home.
I know you've got your defensive thread, but can you tell us yet in here, do you know any %s? It felt like we were constantly in off coverage... maybe thats just when most of the big plays occurred...

Our pass rush was almost non-existant so idk what Burke is talking about... and thinking Maxwell is going to keep up with an agile wr from 10 yards away... sheesh

I challenge Burke to make better play calls.

Cover 3 zone pressure that results in a 12 yard gain from the wide split Z off a fieldside drag in the area left open by the slot blitz

That's just a good offensive play vs a bad playcall.

Also possible this is one of the plays that PFF erroneously credited as a Howard target.

I know you've got your defensive thread, but can you tell us yet in here, do you know any %s? It felt like we were constantly in off coverage... maybe thats just when most of the big plays occurred...

Our pass rush was almost non-existant so idk what Burke is talking about... and thinking Maxwell is going to keep up with an agile wr from 10 yards away... sheesh

I've just begun the 3rd quarter so I can't give any accurate percentages yet.

They exploited the fact Howard is playing 7-8yds of the WR. They just cleared out the other defenders and knew there would be no way Howard could cover the WR underneath. Jesus, this JR. High football 101. I know you employ off man because you do not want to give up the long ball, but it is like a slow death as the offense kills you with dink and dunk. And when the defense can not stop the YAC(which the Dolphins have shown time and again they can not do) it doubles the frustration. Let these DBs challenge the WRs. By the way, it didn't help that Howard's initial step was backwards.

Last edited:
I challenge Burke to make better play calls.

Cover 3 zone pressure that results in a 12 yard gain from the wide split Z off a fieldside drag in the area left open by the slot blitz

That's just a good offensive play vs a bad playcall.

Also possible this is one of the plays that PFF erroneously credited as a Howard target.

He threw it back to the space where the slot blitz came from that's what good qbs do.

What gives it away though is the depth of the boundary corner Howard and the pre snap alignment we come out in. But rivers is a very smart pre to post snap read qb

I expect constant improvement on the communication and pre-snap disguise as these guys get more comfortable together and more familiar with what Burke wants.

Chargers were going no huddle and started the drive with 11 personnel. I get why we went nickel there

I don't. They needed the throw every down. They needed 40 yards in one minute. Another DB covers the back out of the backfield or the TE better than Hull. We actually gave up the 40 yards they needed. You talk as if somebody made a decision to stay with the nickle. I think we just stood around and did nothing and kept everything the same, ie, no adjustments at all. There had to be 1 or 2 3rd and 12s during the game. You mean to tell me there wasn't a better option than Hull when they needed 12 yards for a 1st. Put the DB in and say "run it". Take my chances that way rather than watch that guy get abused all game by Henry.

They exploited the fact Howard is playing 7-8yds of the WR. They just cleared out the other defenders and knew there would be no way Howard could cover the WR underneath. Jesus, this JR. High football 101. I know you employ off man because you do not want to give up the long ball, but it is like a slow death as the offense kills you with dink and dunk. And when the defense can not stop the YAC(which the Dolphins have shown time and again they can not do) it doubles the frustration. Let these DBs challenge the WRs. By the way, it didn't help that Howard's initial step was backwards.

Bend but don't break is a great philosophy when you have playmakers... sadly we are sorely deficient in that area. It's why the Bucs actually have a pretty good D despite being porous overall. I can't remember the last time Jones made a big play, and he's the only one. After him, Kiko is probably the best playmaker on D, which is a pretty depressing truth.

Back
Top Bottom