Miami Dolphins Draft Profile: Zach Cunningham | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins Draft Profile: Zach Cunningham

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
Zach%20Cunningham.jpg

Remember the name Zach Cunningham, the outside LB from the Vanderbilt Commodores.

He is 6-foot-4, 230 pounds of pure speed and muscle, and he play both the run and pass. This season, against rival Georgia, Cunningham totaled 19 tackles and defended one pass in a dominating effort. He had at least 10 tackles in seven games this season, and has 256 total tackles in just three years at Vandy, including one where he did not start. His sophomore season, he had 4.5 sacks, proving he can rush the passer if needed.
Cunningham will likely be available to the Miami Dolphins, who have the 22nd overall pick in the 2017 NFL Draft. If they can add a veteran LB in Free Agency, and had a thumper like Cunningham who has great lateral range when covering the field, they can shore up what was their weakest unit on defense over the past 5 years.
Where Cunningham can really help the Dolphins is in pass coverage. Having to face Rob Gronkowski twice a year is a difficult task for any defense, let alone one starved of playmaking linebackers. Cunningham could start from Day 1 and provide Miami with the defender needed to cover tight ends in open space, as well as make plays in the backfield on runningbacks.
Cunningham would fit perfectly in new DC Matt Burke´s 4-3 system as an outside linebacker.
FINS UP!
http://www.scout.com/nfl/dolphins/story/1748305-miami-dolphins-draft-profile-zach-cunningham

He's high on my list at 22. Just needs to improve his tackling. Outside of that, he's a beast and would instantly improve Miami's Run D.

He's high on my list at 22. Just needs to improve his tackling. Outside of that, he's a beast and would instantly improve Miami's Run D.

Come on gas mask video...someone must have a grudge...

I thought he would project to be a Mike in our system... Would love him at Mike and Kiko at weakside.

This is the very reason he might be available at 22.

Now a chiseled 6-foot-3 and 230 pounds, Cunningham looks more like an outside linebacker for a 4-3 alignment than a traditional inside linebacker for a 3-4 scheme. The time spent inside, however, has honed Cunningham's instincts and ability to fight through blocks. He attacks oncoming blockers with an aggressive and powerful initial punch, quickly disengaging on his way to the ball.

Unlike most linebackers with his length, Cunningham shows good recognition and body control to slip cut blocks, as well, sprawling to maintain his balance and rarely losing sight of the ball. He is able to convert speed to power as a tackler, showing no hesitancy in the hole against big (or small) runners and ripping at the ball, when possible.

Cunningham's future in the NFL could be on the outside, as he possesses the range and body control to excel in space. He changes direction well for a man of his size, showing light feet and loose hips. He possesses the range to beat backs to the edge, as well as exciting closing speed while in pursuit and coverage. Cunningham has yet to record an interception but he shows good awareness of passing lanes, as well as the body control and long arms to contort in space to knock down throws.

While Cunningham's size, athleticism and awareness are certainly appealing, there is room for improvement, including in the most important area for any linebacker: tackling.

In part because of Cunningham's relatively lanky frame, his pad level is often higher while tackling than preferred. He often wrestles runners to the ground with his upper body strength rather than consistently driving them back through his hips. This can leave Cunningham a little off-balance at the point of attack, leading to his catching runners and pulling them down (after surrendering another yard after contact) or, occasionally, missing them altogether. He could also improve as a pass rusher, too often relying on a quick hand slap, bull rush or his speed (rather than refined technique) to defeat blocks.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...-longer-vandys-zach-cunningham-ready-to-star/

He could be around at pick 22. But I guarantee between he, Reuben Foster or Jarrad Davis, one of the SEC linebackers will be there. And you can't go wrong with any of the three.

Zac Cunningham absolutely has the instincts you covet in a MLB. He sees it, trusts it, and fires better than any LB in this class, and it's not particularly close. In terms of pure ability to defend the run, there's a huge drop off after Cunningham. Foster and Davis are both nice LB's, but they shuffle up to the line or around the pile. Both hit better than Cunningham, but they have a hesitancy that is not there with Cunningham. They don't see it, trust it, get it on a consistent basis. So many of Cunningham's tackles come within 2 yards of the LOS, because he does. I think you can fix the tackling easier than you can get Davis or Foster to read and react at a level near Cunningham.

Forgot to mention, K. Beckwith is horrendous in run defense. He has zero read and react ability. If they don't send him on a blitz, he'll stand around waiting for an OL to reach him. He must be a fan of the game, because he loves watching.

Zac Cunningham absolutely has the instincts you covet in a MLB. He sees it, trusts it, and fires better than any LB in this class, and it's not particularly close. In terms of pure ability to defend the run, there's a huge drop off after Cunningham. Foster and Davis are both nice LB's, but they shuffle up to the line or around the pile. Both hit better than Cunningham, but they have a hesitancy that is not there with Cunningham. They don't see it, trust it, get it on a consistent basis. So many of Cunningham's tackles come within 2 yards of the LOS, because he does. I think you can fix the tackling easier than you can get Davis or Foster to read and react at a level near Cunningham.

Forgot to mention, K. Beckwith is horrendous in run defense. He has zero read and react ability. If they don't send him on a blitz, he'll stand around waiting for an OL to reach him. He must be a fan of the game, because he loves watching.

I also think Cunningham is the best linebacker in this class when it comes to stacking and shedding. Probably because of his taller frame and longer arms but he's really good at getting off blocks and making a play.

I also think Cunningham is the best linebacker in this class when it comes to stacking and shedding. Probably because of his taller frame and longer arms but he's really good at getting off blocks and making a play.

He's the best at dealing with OL and blockers in general, and he's also the best at navigating traffic. A lot of that is length, but a lot of it is him beating blockers to the spot. With the other LB's, to varying degrees, they're essentially waiting around to get blocked as they observe the play from 5 yards off the LOS. Cunningham sees it and gets it. If he's meeting an OL, it's at or near the LOS - not 5 yards back.

Damn you guys are making me really want him... hope he's there at 22

Just imagine getting a Cunningham or Davis at 22 (Foster will be gone) and getting Ingram in FA. Kiko at weak, Cunningham/Davis in the middle, and Ingram at strong. That's a significant upgrade in 1 year.

Just imagine getting a Cunningham or Davis at 22 (Foster will be gone) and getting Ingram in FA. Kiko at weak, Cunningham/Davis in the middle, and Ingram at strong. That's a significant upgrade in 1 year.

This is my pipe dream too

I want to preface this by pointing out that nobody posting on this entire board has the eye for talent that you have. Your evaluation skills are second to none around here. I noticed that years ago.

That said, I have no idea what you guys are looking at here in regards to Cunningham. There is absolutely no comparison between the quality of game tape and talent of Reuben Foster and Zach Cunningham. Cunningham's tackling flaws are glaring. All you need to do in order to guage the gap is compare the quality of the game tape between the two amongst the same opponents. Take Tennessee for example, the first two touchdowns Alvin Kamara scored against Vandy he ran through Cunningham's pitiful tackle attempts like he was paper mache on both of those scores. The first one on a carry right between the tackles and the second on a reception. Make no mistake, tackling like that will get you benched in Tuscaloosa.

The tackling issue with Cunningham is two fold in terms of grading him as a 1st round pick. First, the #1 task any linebacker must be able to execute is a tackle, and the backs in the NFL don't get any easier to tackle. Secondly, it's a flaw so glaring and costly that it shows up game after game after game for Cunningham and should've been corrected. He has trouble breaking down in order to make a proper tackle consistently. Your feet have to be under your hips in order to bring them with you and drive through a tackle. That's something I've noticed about him since he was in high school. Guys I've seen linebackers that couldn't tackle inexplicably get taken in the 1st round of the draft and the returns aren't good.

It's something that I would have to see disappear before I'd consider taking him in the 1st round. I think a kid like Cunningham is going to need at least a year in the NFL before he's ready. I felt like he needed to stay for his Senior year and clean all that up in order to be a 1st round pick.

I agree with slimm here as well, about cunninghams tackling and J-offs eye for talent. He stays high, tries to wrap with his arms, and doesn't get enough power from his butt and hips. I'm not as worried as slimm is, however. It looks to be easily correctable and I'd imagine it already would have been at a blue chip program. But I do agree that another year would've upped his value ... but he'd probably play himself into the top 10 and out of our reach altogether so this is the year if we want him. Foster is twice the prospect he was last year. And we won't get him because of it.

I think Davis is the best form tackler and foster is the biggest hitter ... fwiw.

Back
Top Bottom