Miami Dolphins have plenty in-house options at center

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Danny68, Jun 24, 2014.

1. Danny68

Danny68 Dolphins on 3! Super Donator Finheaven VIP Donator

Some stats and info on some of our guys.. Sorta made me feel better.

Garner has started 19 games in his five seasons with the Dolphins, and two of those games were at center last season. The Dolphins beat San Diego 20-16 and suffered a 20-16 loss to thePanthers in those games.

Shelley Smith, a four-year veteran the Dolphins signed this offseason, has worked on his snapping every single practice I've attended. Smith, who has eight games of starting experience, is presently the Dolphins' starting right guard, but it appears the Dolphins can use him as a center if necessary. Making that move would open up a starting guard spot for Garner, David Arkin or rookie Billy Turner.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...se-options-at-center-20140624,0,6194683.story

2. MRojas4

MRojas4 The Cheese Connoisseur Finheaven VIP

Ugh....

I would rather not displace a already shakey RG position in Shelley to be even more shakey at C.

Just open it up to Brenner and that rookie out of Utah State? and see what happens.

Not sure how I feel about Thomas Shelley Turner at the inside of the trenches.

O-line this year will be a wild ride......again

3. foozool13

foozool13 #12 #13 #23 #29 #54 #99 Donator

This really was the LAST injury we could afford to have. ****!

4. tay0365

tay0365 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Yea, not a fan of an interior linemen that still has a lot to prove pass protecting, and not nearly enough experience at the center position to be the man on the line.

5. Spiff

Spiff Starter Finheaven VIP

Ryan Tannehill?

6. AFCMiamiEast

AFCMiamiEast A True Fan

Outside of Tannehill and Wallace, he is correct lol. Definitely far from an ideal situation.

7. NRA

NRA Roll Gypsy Roll

larsen is my choice.

8. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

None of the options are good players but it is good to have emergency replacements

9. BlueFin

BlueFin Seer of Visions Finheaven VIP

Larsen has over 50 starts at center and looked good at the senior bowl against Aaron Donald who is a beast.....we have lots of time to get him ready.

10. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

it would be great if he turned out as a good player. Even with those 50 starts and senior bowl every team in the league passed on him as a draft pick. Doesn't mean he cant be good , just means no team in the league really thinks he will.

11. Fin Fan in Cali

Fin Fan in Cali Joanne Shaw Taylor Super Donator

Tell that to New England who have had plenty of undrafted lineman.

12. GoonBoss

GoonBoss Finheaven Templar Super Donator Donator

Arien Foster was an UDFA. He can't be that good. Neither can Kurt Warner. No way that chump could win a SB ring. Warren Moon, John Randle...........

13. Built2Win

Built2Win A True Fan

So now the dolphins season is now depending on a journeyman rookie center or some other backup that gets cut.
    I would not be surprised to see a trade.

14. mnphinfan

mnphinfan Lifelong Fin Fan

I think we will be able fo tell the severity of Pouncey's injury based on what the FO/coaching staff does to fill his position while he is injured. If they sign another center it would definitely point to him being out for an extensive amount of time where he will possibly be placed on the PUP. If they let the players currently on the roster battle for the spot to me that means he will either be back in time for the regular season or only miss a week or two. The moves made in the next week or so will be very telling.

15. xXwarXx

xXwarXx Banned Hammered

Lmao at trades, where do you guys think were trading for a center?

All teams go through injuries, yeah they suck, but it's a part of the game, hopefully it doesn't get out of control and someone steps up.

Green Bay had 3 injuries I think on there oline fhe year they won the sb with philbin. Rogers got the crap eat out of him, but they won a sb. It's the NFL, you gotta find ways around this stuff.

16. Mudder1310

Mudder1310 A True Fan

Warren Moon may not be a great guy to compare here. His talent was never a doubt but no one was drafting a black QB.

17. raving

raving Starter

The injury required surgery - unfortunately that puts Pouncey in the world of recovery - how fast his body recovers from the trauma of surgery is somewhat unknowable - sooooooooo......more likely the issue is how cohesive are the guys that the team puts together in training camp - who else shakes lose and becomes available - how is recovery going in August??? These are likely parts of the larger equation....

18. MRojas4

Pouncey best case scenario can start working out again after bye week. Say it takes him a good month to get back into game shape we are already at week 9...10?

Pouncey will be back in time for the final few games to show teams he is back and healthy on a contract year.

Then again, if the O-line is jelling and we are in playoff contention battle do you throw off that groove by plugging Pouncey back in Week 10?

Also Pouncey will be placed on the short term PUP which if I'm not mistaken makes him intelligible to return prior to Week 8.

19. DuderinoN703

DuderinoN703 We? What the **** we? Finheaven VIP Donator

Play Larsen and see what happens. 7-9 or 8-8 is the Dolphins mantra with Pouncey so what do they have to lose?

20. SQuinn17

SQuinn17 League Dominator

Sign a vet starter and move on.

21. One Love

One Love star traveler ✨✨ Donator

Forget Pouncey... i'm tired of him already, BRING IT LARSEN!

22. SCLSU Mud Dogs

SCLSU Mud Dogs foos-ball is the devil! Donator

There are a few veterans available too. Wouldn't doubt Miami signing one of them.

23. dolpns13

dolpns13 Chest Rockwell is my hero Donator

Lol to this story. Swing it any way you want to. This is a season altering injury.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

24. jlfin

jlfin old pro

Doug williams was drafted in 1st rd 1978 draft.

25. Zounds

Zounds CPA4LYFE Donator

Garner is smart. Although physically under matched, he can identify a defense and call our blocking assignments, and that's all we are really asking for until Pouncey returns.

26. mnphinfan

How do you figure best case scenario is he starts working out after the bye? We don't even know what the extent of the injury or the surgery was. I would say best case scenario is he had a minor clean up, ala Brandon Marshall, and is ready for opening weekend or misses a game or two. Worst case scenario, is he had the same surgery Percy Harvin had, which has the time line you are projecting, and he has to be put on the pup list.

27. MRojas4

Correct me if I am wrong. But the news was Pouncey tore his labrum which EASY is a 3 month return. That would be return to workout and conditioning.

Toss in lets say another 2-3 weeks until he is back in shape and game ready? He is out until Week 9-10. Short term PUP candidate at that point.

Moreno on the other hand, had a small knee clean up and should be ready to go for camp.

28. Albert Romano

Albert Romano Super Donator Super Donator Finheaven VIP

That's the news im hearing as well, a tear unfortunately, and not from just dirt bag Florio.

29. mnphinfan

Like I said before, who is reporting this? Because I haven't seen a single Miami beat writer say anything about it. Every report out this is based off of what ESPN has said the lead time would be...and who the hell do they have as an insider who knows what the surgery entailed and what the lead time of his return will be?

30. Albert Romano

Omar Kelly @OmarKelly • Jun 24
    Keep in mind that after Mike Pouncey's hip heals he'll have to get himself back into playing shape. But Pouncey is a hard worker.
    Omar Kelly @OmarKelly • Jun 24
    RT @JonScharfman best case scenario pouncey misses 1-2 games?> talked to a player who had same injury. Said he'll miss first 4 weeks.

Adam Schefter
    Pouncey tore the labrum in his hip sometime during the Dolphins' offseason workouts. His absence will shake up a Miami offensive line that was transformed this offseason.

Mike Garafolo ✔ @MikeGarafolo
    Follow
    Mike Pouncey's surgery was a labrum repair, source says, which fits with the rough timeline of a few months.
    5:14 PM - 23 Jun 2014

Could be all form ESPN lead but would wager it was a tear. I do agree with you that the FO actions will allow us to read between the lines even more.

31. Hayden Fox

Hayden Fox Love Creating Turnovers Donator

Larsen is the new Pat Devlin or Will Yeatman.

32. gafin

gafin A True Fan

http://www.thefinsiders.com/blog/2014/analysts-discuss-dolphins-o-line-options

33. fishfanmiami

fishfanmiami Have you seen junior's grades ? Moderator Finheaven VIP

The bottom line guys is that none of these options can do what Pouncy does. Like him or not he has always been able to pull or get down field to pick up blocks.
    i think the Fins will give everyone in house a shot but adding a vet like Samson Satele might also make sense if no one steps up.
    I think they know what Garner gives them there which is a serviceable snapper with limited athletic abilities who will do in a pinch.

34. mnphinfan

Like I said how can any of them be believed? The report was first made by ESPN. Then Omar and the rest of the beat writers/NFL pundits picked up on the story. Not the other way around. This is all based on hearsay from the original ESPN story. I'm not saying how invasive the surgery was one way or the other. But can we at least wait until seeing how the Fins handle his replacement over the next couple of weeks before declaring the season is over.

35. Hayden Fox

Hayden Fox Love Creating Turnovers Donator

Labrum surgery from where it is being described is a brutal surgery and recovery.

36. Albert Romano

Yes, never said the season was over.

37. BlueFin

Agreed, but it wouldn't be the first time the NFL missed on a player who had a metric that didn't fit their prototype.

Zach Thomas was too short and small, Mark Clayton was too slow...not saying Tyler Larsen will definitely be the next one, but he did show well against the best this draft had to offer at the Senior Bowl and certainly has (like Juwan James) years playing the position at a high level.

I started this thread back in May and was really happy about getting this guy, with the Pouncey news it seems like it was meant to be.

38. BlueFin

Perhaps....but every NFL season is about overcoming problems...rarely does a team stay perfectly healthy all year.

If one of these guys can hold it down until Pouncey gets back you never know.

39. SCLSU Mud Dogs

SCLSU Mud Dogs foos-ball is the devil! Donator

Injuries happen every year. It's no different for Miami. Adapt to survive.

40. grogan12

grogan12 Banned Hammered

News flash, "MIAMI IS NOT NEW ENGLAND"