Miami Dolphins have their Mike Pouncey plan basically settled | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins have their Mike Pouncey plan basically settled

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
pounceygase.jpg

Figuring out a way to keep Mike Pouncey on the field for 16 games is one of the most complicated and essential tasks the Dolphins have this season.
The Dolphins have settled into a routine of Pouncey practicing every other day and usually taking four reps per period, and coach Adam Gase said that’s pretty much their plan for the first week of the regular season. If that works, they’ll likely stick with it.
http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachp...ve-their-mike-pouncey-plan-basically-settled/

This just feels wrong for a football player. If he can't handle practice, how can he handle the game all season?

I know we just want Pouncey to make through the season. Hopefully we can come up with a new plan at Center this offseason. I'm just not sure how I feel about babying these guys.

I recall seeing a play against the Eagles where he got pushed WAY back immediately after the ball was snapped. It wasn't pretty

No sack though and that's what counts. Every player has a bad a play.
Is Jernigan a top D-Line guy? Asking.

No sack though and that's what counts. Every player has a bad a play.
Is Jernigan a top D-Line guy? Asking.

Kinda hard to get a sack on a run play. ;)

Jernigan is a really good DT. Baltimore parted with him b/c they had a chance to move up in the draft and they had recently invested a crap ton of money in NT Brandon Williams

Any chance he let him come up field as it was a run right past him? Just curious.

So much of the teams' success seems to fall on whether or not Pouncey can stay healthy. That hasn't been a winning bet. Long-term the team needs to find a quality replacement either in the draft or in free agency.

Any chance he let him come up field as it was a run right past him? Just curious.
I have to imagine he'd rather be moving forward than backward. Still, it looked to me that he at least held leverage to allow the back to go where he supposed to go. Making the best of a bad situation, maybe?

I recall seeing a play against the Eagles where he got pushed WAY back immediately after the ball was snapped. It wasn't pretty

this has always bothered me with mike. you can go back as far as you want. this has always been the case. very athletic guy and great in space at the 2nd level but simply doesnt hold up at the poa and ends up in the qb's lap too often. overrated.

At least Wilfork is gone.

Malcom Brown is just as big, Alan Branch is even bigger, and both are true two gap defenders.

Last year NE lined them up side by side along with Trey Flowers over the both guards and the center. Why? The NFL's most popular run is the inside zone and it prevents the interior lineman from climbing to the 2nd level to reach the LB's. NE allowed only 3.9 yds a rush, were tied for 3rd for least amount of rush yardage allowed with a league low 6 rushing TD's.

Damn right I'm jealous

When you have to resort to handling a player like this it's probably a good idea to move on.

For record, in that video posted in the Eagles game, Pouncey played that perfectly. Jernigan put his head down and decided to bull rush on the outside of the run play, so Pouncey just let him take himself out of the play. Pouncey wasn't giving a 100% trying to hold him up.

Back
Top Bottom