Miami Dolphins must understand the draft's landscape | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins must understand the draft's landscape

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
Here are 10 things we suspect about the 2013 draft.

1. This draft lacks elite players - prospects everyone is certain will be dynamic on the next level - but it is relatively strong from a depth standpoint. Many draftniks predict you'll be getting a similar player with pick 20 as you would find with pick 50 or 60.
2. There are five elite offensive linemen - Luke Joeckel, Eric Fisher, Lane Johnson, Chance Warmack and Jonathan Cooper - in this draft, and all five will likely be gone in the first 20 picks. The run on offensive linemen might be reminiscent of the 2008 draft, which pushed second-tier offensive linemen up, and featured nine offensive tackles going in the first round. That means while Syracuse offensive lineman Justin Pugh might be a second-round prospect talent wise some team's need might push him into the first round.
3. Because of this draft's perceived depth more than half of the team's picking in the first round would be open to trading their picks, and that includes the Dolphins, who are willing to give up a second-rounder to move up. The Dolphins will probably be interested in trading down if none of the three offensive tackles are on the board. The teams ahead of Miami that are willing to make a deal are Kansas City (first pick), Jacksonville (second pick), Oakland (third pick) and Cleveland (sixth pick). General Manager Jeff Ireland told the Sun-Sentinel he's right out of the range he needs to get one of the top tier players in this draft. It should be interesting to see if he uses his "ammunition" to get up there.
Read more:http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...sweblog+(Miami+Dolphins+|+Sun-Sentinel+Blogs)

I agree. This is the first time in my life the Dolphins have this many options in the draft. I'd trade a 2nd rounder this year for a 1st next year. It's what the Patriots always do

You'll get peanuts to trade down from #12 in this draft. Every GM in the league knows the strength of this draft is the depth from 20-60. So a lot of teams will be trying to trade out of the top 15 to pick up two picks in the 20 - 60 range. IF you're convinced there's something in the top 10 you want, and you have extra 2nd/3rd round picks, you might be able to strike a reasonable deal to move up. The Chiefs, Raiders and Browns are missing their 2nd round pick, and I'm sure would consider moving down to get one back. The Raiders in particular have so many holes, they can't afford to stay at #3 overall.

Now, whether there's someone worth trading up for is the question. But the choice is most likely going to be whether to trade up or stay put. I'd be very suprised if a good offer comes in to trade down for the Dolphins.

I don't think the dolphins are high on Johnson, although I think they could arrange something with the raiders as they are void of talent and picks, but I wouldn't give up both 2's

My only concern with taking a tackle so high, is that I feel Martin is a better LT than RT. Also both cog and jerry are FA next year and neither fits the ZBS. I think one if cooper or Warmack will fall to #12 and I think you can pick up a very decent RT in 2nd.

I get its not the popular choice, but people have to understand that we do need to sort O'line regardless of the past. Much like Tannehill last year, if we hit this year, which is strength of draft, we can go 'luxury'next year, when elite talent will be available.

I don't think teams looking to move down are going to get the "chart" value to do so in this draft. Way more teams looking to move down than up, and that's going to be reflected in the deals made.

As an example, Floyd is a nice player, but he's only one guy. The Raiders would be better off with a starting DE at #12 and starting WR at #54, than a single starting DT at #3.

Doesn't mean Miami should do it, but I think they can drive a bargain in this draft if they want to go up.

Totally agree it will be 'easier' or better value to trade up this year. Only problem Is, I'm convinced the Eagles draft OT, thus leaving us at #12 IMO.

Stay at 12 or trade down. But I think Ireland values all his picks and doesn't trade up.

I think we're in for a very exciting and shocking draft if this is what most Dolphins fans think. The word around the office is "quality" not "quantity"

Back
Top Bottom