Miami Dolphins need to rethink roster, philosophy, coaching staff

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Albert Romano, Nov 26, 2017.

1. <O>

<O> Well-Known Member

Belichick coaches his players to play that way against every team. What's troubling is that Gase isn't sophisticated enough to counter it, when Gase is making the kind of money that indicates he's supposed to be.

One of the ways you win in this league is by paying a top-notch head coach lots of money that doesn't count against the salary cap. If that money doesn't pay off, obviously you don't enjoy that competitive advantage.

Avigatorx likes this.
  2. dolphinheel

dolphinheel A True Fan

If Harbaugh doesn’t put himself into the mix and Gase stays, these things must happen at a minimum:

1-New D coordinator (Schiano?)
    2-New Oline coach (preferably someone without a drug/hooker problem)
    3-New O coordinator who calls plays
    4-Cut Kiko and Timmons
    5-Cut Pouncey, Bushrod, James and Sam Young
    6-Cut Damian Williams
    7-Cut Grant
    8-Cut J Thomas
    9-Cut McCain

Draft
    1st-CB, DE, LB, RT, C
    2nd-QB
    3rd-BPA, RB
    4th-OG, C
    4th-OG, C

Dolphins81 likes this.
  3. kingfin23

kingfin23 This is the Year

Parker is lazy. Plays slow and lazy. Has no upside anymore. Has trouble getting open. Make the great catch 1 time every 5 weeks. Sorry but
    That's not even close to being a #1 WR. It's safe to sign Landry and dump Parker and draft a WR. Think we can find a better WR in 2nd round or 3rd. Parker is a 3rd WR level WR at this point.

Ray R likes this.
  4. terphin

terphin A True Fan

one of the big problems was not foreseeing the need for a capable mobile backup QB with Thill coming off an injury. When your line is suspect the only way you can counter is with legs, i.e. RG3, Kap etc. I really hope thats in our plan this offseason. Also how can we really know if Asiata, or Scott can't contribute on this ****ty team, I say let em play for the ret of this miserable season. Also Grant has probably played his last season of NFL football, he brings zilch

5. Highzenga

Highzenga Well-Known Member

The thing is that our line was good last year so we expected it to be good again. Was a mistake to get rid of Albert

terphin likes this.
  6. vcip

vcip Starter Finheaven VIP Donator

Parker had a good year last year. To give up on him during a dreck season like this would be dumb

7. Sarnics13

Sarnics13 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Well i certainly don't think DVP is doing himself any favors right now with his stats but how much of that is on him is a mystery to me. He definitely looked like he wasn't putting much in that play mentally but this kid has shown far more than this.

I don't get what is going on with this team. Other than a handful of guys, nobody out there looks like they even believe there's anything to fight for. It's not just Parker. There is ZERO confidence on this team.

Albert Romano likes this.
  8. Casas9425

Casas9425 A True Fan

Maybe they’ve quit on Gase?

<O> likes this.
  9. fansinceGWilson

fansinceGWilson FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

And that is whyMiami needs a real OC

10. datruth55

datruth55 Starter Finheaven VIP

Could? It will be a problem. It's the same philosophy Ireland used for his team building and Tannenbaum is even worse at it. Tannenbaum believes you get one star on each unit and the other players will raise their game to that stars level...unfortunately that's never worked for him and as we've seen so often with the Dolphins the star player eventually lowers his level of play to the scrubs put around him. We needed linebackers, they thought Kiko was awesome (as did many around here...and some still do) so they drafted just one. They thought Branch was awesome so they drafted just one DE (who is a situational player and probably has no shot of ever developing into a 3 down DE and probably never becomes the pass rusher they envisioned). We needed CB helped and they thought they had fixed Maxwell (how does that trade with Philly look now lol) and drafted just one.

Their garbage line about drafting BPA is fake...it's a load of crap they try to feed the fans thinking most will just believe them. For most of us that follow the draft we know that's not what they did, we know how inept they are at finding talent. And so here we sit....Mario Williams, Andre Branch, William Hayes and Charles Harris all signed or drafted to replace Olivier Vernon....we no longer have the replacement on the roster for Lamar Miller and so resources will be spent to find his replacement again. The 4 players at DE combined aren't as good as Vernon so more resources will need to be spent to find his replacement...not to mention finding a replacement for Wake who has finally shown his age. I can assume Tannenbaum won't want to pay Landry so resources will be spent for his replacement. And over and over and over the cycle goes because every time you think you've laid a foundation it gets torn up because the front office thinks they're smarter than everyone else and they have proven, without a doubt, that they are not.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
    Travis34, BobDole, Avigatorx and 2 others like this.
  11. datruth55

You would expect your 6'3" WR to win those one-on-one matchups. The ball was horribly underthrown. A better thrown ball, where it becomes a jump ball situation, Parker would win those...he's shown that he can this year. Problem is Parker showed little awareness on the plays...both INTs really...where he needs to realize he has to turn into a DB, take the OPI if you have to but don't allow the turnover.

Ray R likes this.
  12. Albert Romano

Albert Romano Super Donator Super Donator Finheaven VIP

Well yes, that about sums it up. They have created more holes because every position they tried to address- hasnt really worked out at this point.

Ray R likes this.
  13. matt11390

matt11390 Starter

There's so much change that is needed it's overwhelming to try to think about it. I don't have any hope that Miami will ever get better until they get rid of Tannenbaum and actually start making good draft decisions and also develop a vision to build this team from the inside out. They have to stop spending in FA on big contracts unless its one of their own and he is a transcendent player (like Antonio Brown, Julio Jones, etc.). They need to get rid of many players who are stealing money and build through the draft. But like I said, I have no hope of change at this moment.

gofins60 likes this.
  14. Dolph N.Fan

Dolph N.Fan A True Fan

Take this for what it’s worth:

Apparently Ross has sold the team (back in the spring) to one of his partners and the sale won’t be announced to the public until next season.

Google: Bruce Beal (that’s who he sold it to), he was already Ross’ successor. And has first dibs if Ross decided to sell before his death

Ray R likes this.
  15. dolfan91

dolfan91 Starter Donator

You’ve taken the words right out of my mouth. This is exactly why I hate Tannenbaum. He thinks he’s smarter than everyone else. That might be true in Lawyer Land, but not in the NFL. He’s systematically ruined any hope for a franchise, that looked to be on the up. To further your thought, Rishard Matthews is another guy who’d have been nice to keep around, not many 7th rounders develop like he has, his contract was worth every penny. I can’t say the same for Parker and Carroo, both not living up to anything right now. Not looking good for our Dolphins moving forward.

16. LANGER72

LANGER72 A True Fan

Wash rinse repeat.
    The problem starts with Ross, and it continues.
    The people he has hired have failed. Simple as that.

gofins60 likes this.
  17. datruth55

Carroo is a good example of giving away draft picks to select a player that has made no impact whatsoever on Sunday's. They had him highly rated...talent evaluation is severely lacking, as has been the case since Jimmy Johnson left.

Albert Romano and gofins60 like this.
  18. jlfin

jlfin old pro

The FO and coaching staff almost act as if they are deliberately tanking the season, but publicly giving the impression they are trying to correct things.
    There is a disparity between last yr and this yr

Avigatorx likes this.
  19. DolfanISS

DolfanISS Perennial All-Pro Finheaven VIP

There's no reason to move on from Parker yet but my confidence in him becoming a big time player is dwindling quickly. Hayden Fox told us all he wasn't going to be able to get separation in the pros and was scoffed at. Now Parker can't get separation in the pros, go figure.

Ray R likes this.
  20. Danny

Danny FinHeaven VIP

Not only that but he was a player that this team did not need at all. They traded good picks for a guy that EVERYONE with half a brain knew would never get to play with the 3 guys ahead of him. WTF was that done for?. They just tried to get cute with him and Grant and even Drake who never started in college. T-dumb has to go and so does Grier and if that means Gase has to go too then so be it. It has to start at the top. I was in the restaurant business for a long time. When things are going bad they get rid of the GM and the KM.....They don't fire every cook. You have to start at the top and Ross doesn't seem to get it

Ozzy rules!!

21. vcip

vcip Starter Finheaven VIP Donator

Try lining him up at the TE position instead of Thomas wth not?

22. dolfan91

dolfan91 Starter Donator

To think neither Carroo or Parker can touch Rishard Matthews jock strap right now. Tannenbaum sugar coated the Mario Williams, Andre Branch, signings to replace Vernon; only to Draft Charles Harris. Than justifies it by saying we wouldn’t have been able to do what they did re-signing Tannehill, Stills by having re-signed Matthews and Lamar Miller. Well, news flash: signing Suh hurt everything else and will continue to hurt because letting Miller, Matthews and Vernon go, excelerated the downward spiral the franchise seems to currently be in. Every single player signed or drafted to to replace those 3 loses, hasn’t done diddly squat to justify anything about them. All three players in Miller, Matthews and Vernon have played to their potential or have out performed their contract in the case of Matthews. It’s like, Tannenbaum has an ATM and just can’t control himself. Miami could very well be a much better team having kept those 3 and keeping the draft picks and money.

23. pjcab

pjcab Well-Known Member

Really liked Rishard Matthews..huge mistake letting him go!
    Again,the decisions the dolphins make in personal/contracts are just awful, and until that changes... it's just more of the same.

24. dolfan91

dolfan91 Starter Donator

Let’s not forget the piss poor offensive line he’s put together. Laremy Tusil slid for more than the gas mask incident. He lacks a pair of brass balls, he plays like god damn sissy. He actually turned to Matt Moore after he let a player blow right by him, looked and just shrugged his hands and shoulders as if it was Moore’s fault. That 1 play changed my mind on Tunsil. He is a piece of toilet poop. Someone needs to find me a gas mask, because after watching this o-line this season, I’m going to be smoking some serious rope-a-dope. This Bull Crap theory about finding offensive lineman outside of the 1st round like NE has, works only if you find the right fits like NE does and have coaches with the ability to coach. Which by the way Miami has neither. I will admit to being excited by Eric Smith, Jake Brendel and Jesse Davis, all seem to have potential to be starters. Dallas has built their offensive line through high draft picks, whereas, NE has done it by drafting wisely in the mid to late rounds. Both theories work, but unfortunately Miami doesn’t have the F/O to make those selections work.

dolpns13 and gofins60 like this.
  25. johngarry

johngarry "Mysterious" Super Donator Donator

Davante Green = Yatil Parker... same same.

kevphin likes this.
  26. Lionstone

Lionstone A True Fan

It feels that way, but I would guess that he performs well on 30% of his targets. He has a major consistency problem. Stills and Landry are big time keepers for the team. Drake is a solid player. Tannehill is solid. Jesse Davis looks like a very good swing player that might develop into a solid starter. Williams is a good third down/change up back. I believe every other player on offense should be re-evaluated.

Ray R and dolpns13 like this.
  27. hoops

hoops exited stage left

Deandre Hopkins doesn’t get any separation and he’s the highest paid wr in football.

Not that I agree with dvp doesn’t get separation talk.

Improved players this year are stills and Phillips. Although Phillips still isn’t where we want him to be from a play in play out consistency the arrow still points up.

X Howard’s technique is more consistent even if the results haven’t been according to pff at least

I really hope they don’t blow this all up skills guys wise cause the qb position sucks

We aren’t the only team done in by qb attrition this year.

Ray R likes this.
  28. Dolphindrew

Dolphindrew Starter

I listened to the 2nd half of the game on Sirius XM, and could only get the Pat's broadcast team (who, of course, are 100x better than Miami's). One thing they could not quit talking about is how poor Matt Moore was at picking up who the blitzer was going to be, making any form of adjustment, or even acknowledging it was about to happen. They said it's the same plays they've unsuccessfully run all year until today, when it worked like a charm against Miami. After what I think was the 7th sack, they used the word "embarrassing" when describing Moore's inability to recognize what was so obviously headed his way. While I think the OL has a ton of flaws, so much of the problems stem from our QB's not reading what the defense is about to do. The very best QB's do that, and it makes an enormous difference. There's another thread on here asking what our season would be like if Tannehill had played. I have a better question, just theoretically throwing this out there.. what if Aaron Rodgers was our QB (healthy of course). What would our record be? GB is next to worthless now without him, and was a superbowl caliber team with him. Is the quickest shortcut to success finding that intelligent, cerebral QB and not resting until we do? When teams try to blitz a guy like Rodgers, Brady, P. Manning, Brees, etc., they typically wish they hadn't. Those guys read it, adjust the play and make the defense pay quite frequently.... Just some food for thought.

29. DefensiveEnd76

DefensiveEnd76 Football Guru

Our team needs a major infusion of alpha males who have balls of steel and intelligence to go with it.

gofins60 likes this.
  30. pjcab

pjcab Well-Known Member

dolphin drew....interesting feedback, I wonder if Cutler can't play this weekend would Gase put Fales out there to see what he could do, and if the offense could move the ball better....I don't know if it actually could be worse.

31. jacquesstrap

jacquesstrap Well-Known Member

First: Adam Gase needs to stop calling plays, that only works when you have a Peyton Manning who will say "yeah right, that's crap, I'll run what I know works!"
    Second: co-related is to find an competent offensive coordinator, someone who doesn't call the same stupid crap like those bubble screens that never work.
    Third: Hire a defensive coordinator like Rex Ryan, not someone like Burke who wasn't very good coaching linebackers so why would you expect him to excel as a defensive coach?
    Fourth: invest in a whole new offensive line come the draft, even drafting another left tackle because Turnstile isn't all that good, and Pouncy is also a knucklehead.
    Fifth: trade Devante Parker, trade Carrou, get rid of Grant if your not going to use him other than on special teams.
    Sixth: draft a QB that will challenge Tannehill if not take his place.
    These steps won't create a instant winner but will within 2 years.

gofins60 likes this.
  32. Dolph N.Fan

Dolph N.Fan A True Fan

Yep Gase says he likes this roster (lmao) and doesn’t think Miami needs a bunch of new players. Just fast forward to 2019 already

33. dolfan91

dolfan91 Starter Donator

There are 2 players in the upcoming draft that I’d be falling over myself to draft. 1) Braxton Berrios - WR - Miami, WHY? Because the kid loves football, he’s as sure handed as they come and is one of the grittiest players I’ve seen in a long time. He understands routes and how to get open. He offers everything except speed. He’s everything Jakeem Grant isn’t. 2) Quentin Nelson - OG - Notre Dame, WHY? Because he literally kills people in the run game, and is an above average pass protector. The kid loves football, evidenced by his gritty play in the lose to Miami. He was the only guy still playing through the wistle in a blow out. He’s as solid an Offensive Guard to come out since David DeCastro. He gives Miami a fighting chance to fulfill the assemblement of fielding an above average offensive line. Why am I writing this in this thread, well because I believe the Miami Dolphins don’t have any players like this on the roster outside of Landry. These are the types of players this F/O doesn’t seem to give any thought too, because they seem to be focusing on the big splash. The Miami Dolphins need more players like these 2 kids. Tannenbaum doesn’t have the stones to draft these types of players.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
  34. Stoobz

Stoobz Scout Team Finheaven VIP

Two of my faves as well.

I believe we can get Nelson if we will spend our 1st round pick on him, not sure he will last until the 2nd.

Berrios will end up in New England 8(

35. Mr. Day

Mr. Day Starter

And this team had the audacity not to hire Mike Zimmer. Mike Zimmer is winning with freaking I forgot his name at quarterback and he is a defensive coach. I should be the GM.

dolfan91 likes this.
  36. NoblePhin

NoblePhin Starter Donator

Nothing we do is complimentary, on both sides. How do you expect to rely on a pass rush when you play off and soft zones? Ball comes out fast and a 5yrd catch turns into 15yrds on 3rd and 14, all season long. Soft zones in the middle with mediocre physical talent, Kiko, is and has been killing us all year yet we do nothing scheme wise to adjust.

Offensively we know there's going to be a heavy amount of blitzing and more men in the box but we don't negate that at all by going deep and taking a few shots just to show the opponent we could make a play. Instead it's get the ball to Landry two yards behind the los and hope he breaks 14 tackles for 8 yards.

Idk, this year blows and I can't wait to see what we do in the off-season

kevphin likes this.
  37. LANGER72

LANGER72 A True Fan

We could have had Zimmer, Del Rio, Coughlin and others...and we chose Gase. (The next Don Shula) LOL
    Ross is easily persuaded.
    Tannebaum doesn't want an alpha coach. He wants someone that can look up to him, not look at him as an equal.
    It's all about Tannenbaum.

38. dolfan91

dolfan91 Starter Donator

Rick Spielman is a very underrated GM, wish he was still here.

39. Dolph N.Fan

Dolph N.Fan A True Fan

Only Miami would have a defense built to play with a lead but a offense that can’t get you a lead. Miami has played yet another game where they didn’t have a lead at all.

40. Dajesus

Dajesus A True Fan

The statement of this article is true. I don’t think WR is the group you use to illustrate this fact. Do I want more out of Parker? Yes, but over all I’m sure this group is fine. If we had an oline that would allow them to run routes, and a qb that could throw to them with any consistency the job would get done. The fact is WR doesn’t control the game enough to even be on the radar for where this personal department has failed.

D-line and o line are high priced disasters, and determine champions. The amount of wasted draft picks and money between these two groups is why we are a joke, and have been. Keep telling the world that Suh is great and deserves 20+ million yet our defense keeps getting worse with him.

Corners are crucial to building a champion and ours are awful. We paid Maxwell 10 million to play in 1.5 games. Howard is a bust. Who knows about Tank, but he is struggling. Again a lot of recent draft picks, and a lot of money for 2 ints from the group.

Then of course QB. The most important position on any team. We wasted a draft pick on a ball boy, and have completely ignored the group for years dispite years of mediocrity. 35 million this season for a cancer, a guy that’s afraid of surgery, and guy who doesn’t have an NFL arm.

This is where this regime has failed us, and it’s why it will take awhile to rebuild.

jacquesstrap likes this.