Miami Dolphins: new DC Matt Burke is calculated, cerebral and very, very smart | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins: new DC Matt Burke is calculated, cerebral and very, very smart

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score

Miami Dolphins defensive coordinator Matt Burke (beard) talks with Miami Dolphins outside linebacker Koa Misi at Dolphins training facility. (Allen Eyestone / The Palm Beach Post)

In listening to his players, it makes perfect sense first-year Miami Dolphins defensive coordinator Matt Burke attended Dartmouth College and coached at Boston College and Harvard.
If the Dolphins defense doesn’t make strides in 2017, it won’t be because Burke isn’t really, really intelligent.
“Calculated,” Dolphins defensive back Michael Thomas says.
“Cerebral,” Dolphins defensive back Byron Maxwell says.
“Very, very smart,” Dolphins defensive lineman Ndamukong Suh says.
Burke was Miami’s linebacker coach last season, as well as essentially coordinator-in-waiting. The Dolphins heavily recruited Burke because they felt former coordinator Vance Joseph would quickly become a head coach.
http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachp...e-is-calculated-cerebral-and-very-very-smart/

Hope he's smart enough to make some tweaks on the defense. Lots of talk here about the wide 9 and how easily teams are able to exploit this defense in the running game. Maybe Burke can use this alignment on more obvious passing downs and not as a base defense.

I do think as a defense you have to confuse an offense. Keep them guessing as to how they need to attack.

Hope he's smart enough to make some tweaks on the defense. Lots of talk here about the wide 9 and how easily teams are able to exploit this defense in the running game. Maybe Burke can use this alignment on more obvious passing downs and not as a base defense.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed on this, but I'm not hopeful... sounds like thats what he wants to run, but we'll see once we start playing the games

Nice off-season fluff piece...every year the DC says they want to be more aggressive...cool buzzword to keep the fans happy I guess...

Just stop the run por favor.

Nice off-season fluff piece...every year the DC says they want to be more aggressive...cool buzzword to keep the fans happy I guess...

Just stop the run por favor.
Hopefully the addition of Hayes, Timmons and the rookie McMillan. Combined with Jones being back helps that

All I can tell you about Burke is his style. His beard looks like a neatly groomed Matt Patricia. The glasses scream Jeff Fisher, kinda NASCARyish...

Yup, he's got the NASCAR lumberjack look on lockdown.

I know where this is heading. Flannel Dolphins attire and the license to carry an axe in public. Two things Dolphins fans have been clamoring for...One's a menacing scourge that make people wince when wielded in public, the other one's an axe.

Reminds me of the very smart OC we hired who went to Cornell story lines.

Reminds me of the very smart OC we hired who went to Cornell story lines.

I could go look it up but no fun in that, going to assume Lazor? At first I thought maybe Cam Cameron but you made it sound like we hired person as OC. So, Bill Lazor final answer!

I just hope they don't rely on the wide-9 concept. How many times are teams going to use this defense and get bounced early in the playoffs?

My hope is this guy turns out to be as good on defense as Gase is on offense...With the players we have on the roster now we should be able to lock down the run and get some timely picks that change games to get us wins in games people think we have no chance to win..That's what we need to see this season IMO..

Hopefully his NASCAR look can outsmart Belicheat and his 5-headed monsters of Brady, Edelman, Hogan, Gronk and Cooks!!!

Fun tidbit: "Nascar" is the name of a defensive front look when you put your 4 best pass rushers (whether defensive line or line backers) on the LOS.

I could care less about cerebral. A lot of overly smart guys aren't great decision makers and a lot of not very smart guys make good coaches.

Back
Top Bottom