Miami Dolphins Olivier Vernon And Dion Jordan Present Front Seven Versatility! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins Olivier Vernon And Dion Jordan Present Front Seven Versatility!

CRAZYDOLFAN305

We Are Still Going To The SB
Reaction score
Bringing Jordan to town opens up many possibilities on defense. Defensive Coordinator Kevin Coyle can use Jordan as a 4-3 or 3-4 edge rusher. Coyle can also utilize Jordan’s unique athletic skill set and allow him to cover tight ends and running backs in space at the linebacker position – similar to his role at the University of Oregon.

Many wonder how the team will utilize Jordan’s abilities this season, but I wonder how the team will use a different pass rusher who showed immense potential last season in a limited role along the defensive line.

Olivier Vernon, a 6’2” 261 lbs. pass rusher, produced a fine rookie season for the ‘Phins. Vernon collected 32 total tackles (25 solo) while playing in 16 games. The former Miami Hurricane collected 3.5 sacks which tied with OLB Koa Misi for fourth on the team. Vernon also forced two fumbles which tied for second on the team with Reshad Jones, Jimmy Wilson, and John Denney.

http://phinphanatic.com/2013/05/23/...-dion-jordan-present-front-seven-versatility/

And he blocked two kicks/punts? I think it was one kick and one punt.

Definitely intriguing given the position flexibility of Jordan, Vernon, Ellerbe and Odrick. We almost look like an old Pittsburgh roster made for the zone blitz.

There is an in-depth discussion of Dion Jordan linked in my signature.

They were talking about it on Sirous Radio the other day. They thought Jordan would be used mostly in a pass rushing role his 1st season.
He is missing stuff right now due to injury and wont be up to speed in the pass defense and could be a liability in coverage until he gets adjusted to NFL play.
I see him doing alot of 3rd down pass rushing. That is something he could excel at right away. Not alot to worry about just go get the QB. Keep it simple.

Maybe later in the year he starts playing the Joker position when he gets all the stuff down.

If Olivier Vernon continues to improve and Dion Jordan is as good as advertised this defense will really be able to pressure the quarterback. I think Jordan should be used almost exclusively rushing the passer. That's where he can make the biggest impact.

Wait, Jon Denney was tied for 2nd in FF on our team???????? :ponder:

Just a simple mistake. FYI, Misi, Wake and Smith tied for first with 3. So, Vernon was actually tied for 4th.

I feel like the biggest role for Jordan would be guarding RBs, TEs and slot WRs this year. If he is rushing the passer that means Vernon isn't. I just feel like Vernon is more ready to step in and rush the QB. If Vernon isn't on the field for obvious pass rush situations then we are not fielding our best pass rushers. I'm thinking Jordan can rush and stick receivers from the OLB position just as good as at DE. The reverse can't be said of Vernon.

Back
Top Bottom