Miami Dolphins reveal what they want in their quarterbacks | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins reveal what they want in their quarterbacks

I have to agree that there's something about Mayfield that screams play makers. He will make things happen and he can spark an offense.
Allen has that amazing arm and big play potential too. I have to say thought. he looks like 14 with the helmet off. Seems like a good kid.
I don't know that they could be any more different on and off the field. If they're both there and you want a QB then it's a matter of which style you really want more

Ozzy rules!!

He hasn't won anything:

Super Bowl - Nope
Conference Championship - Nope
Playoff Game: - Nope
Game to clinch the playoffs - Nope
Conference Championship in college - Nope
Bowl Game - Nope
High School Championship - Nope
High School Playoff Game - Nope
Pop Warner - unknown.

I had to laugh at this... as I stared depressingly in to the bottom of my Dolphin coffee mug.

I love Mayfield as well.

I don’t know if I love him at #11. He can be Russel Wilson, or a complete failure.

Yes but you ignored one aspect. Check to see if Tannehill missed significant time during any of those seasons. If so...add 4 victories.

If not, it's a team game
I love Mayfield as well.

I don’t know if I love him at #11. He can be Russel Wilson, or a complete failure.

Wilson or Manziel

I don't think Grier really revealed anything there, obviously.

Adam Gase hates the spread and all else being equal, he'd like a guy with pro translatable experience. He also is a Mike Martz disciple through and through when it comes to valuing first and foremost how a guy operates the offense from inside the pocket.

I don't doubt they want a winner, a guy that handles the team, the room, etc. I think everyone wants that but if Grier points to that first and foremost, there's no harm in assuming he did so for a reason. But I notice he slipped in there a reference to being a winner in high school. I think there's a reason.

Josh Rosen only won 18 games in his three years at UCLA but he led one of the best high school football programs in the country. Mike White lost a lot of football games at South Florida (4-11) won a lot in 2016 (11-3) with WKU but then only went 6-7 this year. But he was 13-0 and a big time performer at University School in Fort Lauderdale. Tanner Lee didn't win in college but he won in high school as well. So Grier's standards can really be bent any which way you choose.

If I had to take the concept of being a WINNER and really focus on what it means conceptually, apply it to these quarterback prospects, a couple of guys do stand out. Clearly Baker Mayfield. Sam Darnold. Riley Ferguson. Brandon Silvers. Mason Rudolph. J.T. Barrett. Luke Falk. Lamar Jackson. Kyle Kempt. Chris Streveler. Bryan Schor. Logan Woodside. Quinton Flowers.

But it's good to keep in mind there are probably four different individuals and collectives in that room whose voices matter. There's Gase and his staff (mainly Loggains) first and foremost, Chris Grier and his staff, Mike Tannenbaum, and Dan Marino.

I have a few guys that I think various individuals in the room are going to like. It's hard to say which guys they're all going to like. I speculate they'll all like Josh Rosen and Sam Darnold. Some will like Josh Allen, others won't. Some will like Baker Mayfield, others won't.

Tough to really say who they'll pick out in the mid rounds as their guy to come to the QB room and add something to it. If I had to guess, I would say Mason Rudolph, Brandon Silvers, Riley Ferguson, possibly Luke Falk. None of those guys are going to notch the pro style experience that Gase wants but there are traits there that translate well to the pros. Some of those I like more than others.

If Gase wants pro style experience then he's got to pound the table for Josh Allen. Otherwise he's asking for a UDFA type like Dalton Sturm of UTSA.

If Ross is really giving Gase more clout, as we've allegedly heard, maybe he will get his man in Allen.

Would anyone be surprised if Miami dealt up and got one of the top four guys? Cleveland's #4 overall could be dealt.

If the Dolphins are in love with Mayfield or Allen they are in a good spot to make that happen. Maybe one drops, but that doesn't seem too likely.

I guess that's the big question.
Thats only part of the question IMO.. The big question is, Do the Dolphins really need to take that gamble right now? Trading up severly limits their flexibility to fix other areas of weakness.

Back
Top Bottom