Miami Dolphins rookie gets call from Ross | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins rookie gets call from Ross

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
De%27Veon%20Smith

A quick note with Dolphins OTAs scheduled to resume with sessions Monday through Thursday, with the first and last of those open to reporters:
Dolphins owner Stephen Ross, a Michigan alum, reached out to former Michigan running back De’Veon Smith after Miami signed him as an undrafted free agent.
What did Ross tell him?
http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/s...y-jackson/article154348074.html#storylink=rss

As much as I love Damien Williams, I think Smith slowly throughout the season get more short yardage reps and I guess we'll see how his hands are.

I'm tired of not being able to get a yrd on 3rd and 1 and 4th and 1 lol

Smith may be a nice cheap answer

As much as I love Damien Williams, I think Smith slowly throughout the season get more short yardage reps and I guess we'll see how his hands are.

I'm tired of not being able to get a yrd on 3rd and 1 and 4th and 1 lol

Smith may be a nice cheap answer

I'm not sure they go with 4 active running backs on Sundays, so I think Smith would be the odd man out. Unless he has an excellent camp or someone gets hurt I'm not sure he sees the field very often as a rookie.

If he performs, hold onto him and let Williams walk in a year. The key: Have a guy's replacement ready a year early so you're not scrambling to replace middle tier guys and overpaying or settling for an inferior players because no one else is available.

I'm not sure they go with 4 active running backs on Sundays, so I think Smith would be the odd man out. Unless he has an excellent camp or someone gets hurt I'm not sure he sees the field very often as a rookie.

Ya that's very true.

I really can't wait to see what he's all about.

He very well may have an excellent camp and may not.

I still think keeping only 4 receivers is okay.

I don't believe we have room for players that are on trick ponies like grant even though I like him as you can see lol

Regardless of what they say, Grant would be fighting an even steeper battle if it weren't for Lippett picking off Rivers at the 2 yr line.

I went from hating grant to saying "oh it's okay he's a rookie" lol

Drake and Smith would seem like a nice KR duo IMO.

yeah, we have a lot invested in the 3 guys in front of him, I'd say this is a conversation for next season.

If he performs, hold onto him and let Williams walk in a year. The key: Have a guy's replacement ready a year early so you're not scrambling to replace middle tier guys and overpaying or settling for an inferior players because no one else is available.
Thats how you build a winner and hopefully get a draft pick too

I still think keeping only 4 receivers is okay.

Drake and Smith would seem like a nice KR duo IMO.

Seeing that Miami plays a lot of 3 receiver sets, I think you would be playing with fire if you only kept 4. One injury and you either have to change your offense or lean on the remaining 3 all the time with no rest and pray nobody else gets injured. I think you need more than one back up receiver.

Also Smith seems pretty slow to be returning kickoffs. I would put Williams back there first.

As for the punt return duties, Drake is trying to learn how to do it, but we saw how that went for Grant last season. It's hard to expect a player who has never fielded punts before to do it at an NFL level year one. I personally am leaning toward the thought that if you have as much depth at receiver as you say you do, and you believe that Parker and Stills can carry the load why not let Landry handle the job. In the past you didn't want to risk Landry to injury, partly because we didn't have much else at receiver. And seeing that Landry might lose a few targets and receptions as the team tries to increase the roles of Parker, Stills, Drake, Thomas and Ajayi why not give him a few touches on punt returns. Sure there's a risk of Landry getting injured, but as hard as he plays there's a risk every time he's on the field. Replacing 4 or 5 offensive snaps with 4 or 5 punt returns might not be much more risky.

Seeing that Miami plays a lot of 3 receiver sets, I think you would be playing with fire if you only kept 4. One injury and you either have to change your offense or lean on the remaining 3 all the time with no rest and pray nobody else gets injured. I think you need more than one back up receiver.

Also Smith seems pretty slow to be returning kickoffs. I would put Williams back there first.

As for the punt return duties, Drake is trying to learn how to do it, but we saw how that went for Grant last season. It's hard to expect a player who has never fielded punts before to do it at an NFL level year one. I personally am leaning toward the thought that if you have as much depth at receiver as you say you do, and you believe that Parker and Stills can carry the load why not let Landry handle the job. In the past you didn't want to risk Landry to injury, partly because we didn't have much else at receiver. And seeing that Landry might lose a few targets and receptions as the team tries to increase the roles of Parker, Stills, Drake, Thomas and Ajayi why not give him a few touches on punt returns. Sure there's a risk of Landry getting injured, but as hard as he plays there's a risk every time he's on the field. Replacing 4 or 5 offensive snaps with 4 or 5 punt returns might not be much more risky.

Oh yea I agree I don't foresee him being the one who returns it but instead a blocker for Drake.

Kickoffs are rarely seen in the NEW NFL which sucks now that we finally got good returners lol

We won't ever have use 4 receivers with Julius Thomas now in the picture JMO.

I think we can store a couple on the ps.

I say keep 5 receivers and go from there.

We could use Smith as our designated Fullback.

I love Williams. It's become pretty obvious that Williams is going to command more money and that's the great thing about having Smith as an incentive.

We could use Landry on punts but I guess everything will depend on if Grant wakes up and can play offense as well.

For once, we're the team that can cut certain positions because of being already set.

Landry shouldn't be our main returner but he should return the ones that we need to be caught and a smart decision made.

For as many tackles as Landry breaks, he sure as hell holds onto the ball extremely well. Elite

Back
Top Bottom