Miami Dolphins Should Get a Shot at Ed Reed

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Danny68, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Danny68

Danny68 Dolphins on 3! Super Donator Finheaven VIP Donator

Interesting read on Reed <--- Ya see what I did right there?;)

http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2013/03/01/miami-dolphins-should-get-a-shot-at-ed-reed/

''The 11 year veteran is 34 years old, but he is still playing at a level where he will nab four to six interceptions each season, which would thrill Dolfans as Miami has zero skill in their secondary for creating turnovers. I think it makes sense for Reed to come full circle and finish his football days in Miami. Either way I cannot see him back in Baltimore, but I will be watching his free-agency closely''

2. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

No thanks. We cant waste big amounts of money on old men who will be retired by the time the rest of the team are ready to compete in a year or two. Sign young players who can develop together.

Old men like Reed are fine for a team on the verge of success right now like the Packers or New England.

3. truckstick23

truckstick23 Scout

Old men? reed is still better than anyone in our secondary and I love R. jones. It would be great to have his leadership and playmaking ability back there for two years.

4. Phinatic8u

Phinatic8u Adam ****ing Gase

If we're going after a FS, let it be Goldson.

5. broccoli rob

broccoli rob proud of your boy

why are we never in contention to get a player like this at 24 instead of 34?

Now more pictures of your woman for this depressing thread you started, Danny.

6. z926538

z926538 Rookie

Because Ireland rarely will ever pay market value in free agency for talented playmakers. It's why I fully expect us to come out of FA with no game changing wide receivers.

7. DphinBillkiller

DphinBillkiller Touchdown

I wouldn't mind seeing Ed in Miami for a reasonable price.

8. Kdawg954

Kdawg954 Paint on My Hands from Paintin the Perfect Picture Finheaven VIP Donator

I wouldn't lose Clemmons for a 1 year lease of Ed Reed (he could retire anytime). Clemmons isn't flashy but we are stable back there with him in there at FS . . . and you need a more secure upgrade if you don't resign him. Reshad Jones is going to command a nice payday . . . Clemmons should be more of a bargain . . . you either get a FS in the draft or you resign him. I'm not giving Goldsen 8 million a season . . . too much.

9. Daytona Fin

Daytona Fin Burn the Jolly Roger Moderator Finheaven VIP

Come back to south beach Ed!

10. rent this space

rent this space Starter Finheaven VIP

I would rather take Kruger(at 27)

11. BlueFin

BlueFin Seer of Visions Finheaven VIP

I think Reshad Jones has shown great growth and will continue to get better and better, he has shown some ability to create turnovers.

12. kvado16

kvado16 A True Fan

I love how people say no thanks, like our team is actually elite enough to say no thanks to a hall of famer.

13. 2413fanphins

2413fanphins A True Fan

draft bacarri rambo instead.

I love ed reed... but I can think of a lot better ways to spend that kind of money.

14. aquabob

aquabob A True Fan

Clemons is the definition of mediocrity. Players like him = 7-9

15. Kdawg954

Kdawg954 Paint on My Hands from Paintin the Perfect Picture Finheaven VIP Donator

I get it, I really do . . . . I just don't believe bringing in Ed Reed for a short term lease at a high dollar is the way to go either.

One thing I have seen with this team is, we have looked the best in the backfield when Clemmons is manning the FS spot. He brings stability to a unit that is weak at CB. You can't just throw 8 million to Jones, 8 million to Goldsen, 8 million to a FA CB, 12 million at Wallace, etc. You have to pick and choose your battles . . . . and like I said earlier, the best option to go at FS is either draft a replacement or resign Clemmons. Atleast with Clemmons you know you are getting stability back there . . . him and Jones have put 3 years together back there and they know each other.

I'm certainly not reaching for Vaccaro at 12 because I think Clemmons needs to be upgraded . . . there are a lot of higher priority things that need addressing before Chris Clemmons on this team.

16. maralieus

maralieus Lets get those balls deep!!

I like Goldson, but he is nowhere near the player Reed is. Reed is incredibly smart, Goldson seems to have a screw loose. Yes Reed is 34, but he seems to be doing fine, he is obviously a rod woodson type of worker, he may play for another 3 years if he is in the right situation. I'd say bring him in if it's reasonable, he can teach whoever we draft to be opposite Jones. He knows the ins and outs probably better than anyone on our team. Plus leadership, I vote yes.

17. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

Dan Marino is a hall of famer, maybe he should be our massively expensive backup QB? I mean hes a hall of famer, thats all that matters right? that at one point in your career you were the best and worth big money? The fact that your in your mid 30's and on the decline buit still command massive money shouldn't factor into it?

Reed was an amazing player and is still a very good one. Is he an upgrade for us? Of course. Can we win the superbowl with him this season? No. Next season? unlikely. The year after? possibly, but he will need replaced by then. See the issue?

18. Wildbill3

Wildbill3 Misery Loves Company Administrator Finheaven VIP Donator

at 34, and having just won a superbowl you absolutely HAVE to worry about Reeds motivations. is he looking for one more payday? is he still hungry? will he fit into a new locker room? you don't go from playing in the superbowl with that locker room to the dolphins and not lose something.

19. dolphinbryan

dolphinbryan Well-Known Member

ed reed come home to miami

20. Anvil35

Anvil35 Leave Users Titles Alone!! Finheaven VIP Donator

Im with you on this DK, this would be a step backwards in the overall team concept. And I agree with WildBill too - what would motivate a 34 year old that just won a SB. I just dont see this guy coming to Miami when we are struggling to make the playoffs...

I pass on this old man.

Wildbill3 likes this.
  21. allsilverdreams

allsilverdreams Starter Finheaven VIP Donator

pass on REED.would prob cost to much

22. MrEd

MrEd Banned Hammered

And he never drafts a QB in the 1st round either...oh wait a minute? :p

23. fanfin

fanfin A True Fan

lol at Rant Sports articles......

24. gregorygrant83

gregorygrant83 A True Fan

To me it's like spending $5,000 for a 90 inch tv that looks good, but I know it only has a month or two of service left. It might be better than anything I have now, but it's not a wise move.

25. kvado16

kvado16 A True Fan

That's a horrible misinterpretation, Marino is retired and can't play at a high level anymore. Ed Reed is a HOF and still plays like one, besides nobody is going to give him a huge *** contract yes he might get a 2 year deal worth a lot of money but we wouldnt be overpaying him. It just delays the problem of free safety a couple more years, and its a move that could possibly helps us get to the playoffs not the Superbowl. Add a few more peaces along with him and maybe a superbowl is plausible

26. dcnr226

dcnr226 A True Fan Donator

Most ppl say Kruger was a product if the system aka playing next to Haloto Ngata. I think he'd be average on most teams, but we have Paul Soliai and Jared Odrick under contract so i personally feel he'd put up similar #s for us

27. FinsUp13

FinsUp13 Member

No thanks with Reed, too much wear and age.

28. NRA

NRA Roll Gypsy Roll

everyone wants big talent at bargain prices.

and then they blame ireland for the same thing. i am NO ireland fan by ANY means but its funny how the majority of the posts on f/a's every year end with the same old,"yeah, i want him, but i dont want to pay anything". "for the right price". "as long as we dont give him a big contract", etc.....

whe you dip into free agency, you do so for a player or players who absolutely upgrade a position, a star player. and you DO NOT get real talent for ANY bargain price. if you cant stand the f/a market prices for talent then DO NOT DIP INTO ITas you only add more mediocre talent that you are trying to upgrade!!

this is exactly why miami has no talent.

when you have GM'S who wont spend to get a real talent AND they cant draft to save their soul, then you are NOT going to build through the draft. you have to do both, wisely. but, you have to have a person in the gm position who can and will do it.

we dont. we havnt. and that is why we are one of the most talent starved teams in the nfl.

and then i see fans whine and sob about not having talent, how cheap the owner and front office is. then when the f/a starts each year, the fans are all saying what they lash out at the finz brass for, we want the players talented but on the cheap.

cant have both.