Miami Dolphins' struggling special teams have been in flux along with the roster | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins' struggling special teams have been in flux along with the roster

Fin Fan in Cali

Fins Up!
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports...ggling-special-teams-have-been-in-960085.html

A former longtime NFL special teams coach who has ties to the Dolphins and their current regime said they have taken the shuffling a bit too far.
"It's like changing your right tackle one week and your right guard the next," he said. "You need continuity in personnel on special teams, and they clearly don't have that."
Linebacker Bobby Carpenter, who arrived in Miami six days before the season opener and now plays on punt coverage, kick coverage and kick return units, said learning special teams isn't as complicated as learning an offense or defense.
"There's only so many ways you can do things on punt protect, on kickoff. It's kind of universal," he said. "There's no excuse with moving guys in and out, mixing guys around. You have to find a way to get the job done."

We need to build continuity with ST. We need to stop jerking players left and right.

But I guess all of us who were criticizing the Dolphins ridiculous number of roster moves to start the season were just claiming the sky is falling. After all, whats the worst that can happen?

But I guess all of us who were criticizing the Dolphins ridiculous number of roster moves to start the season were just claiming the sky is falling. After all, whats the worst that can happen?
Yes but the tape doesn't lie. You can figure out what player needs to be released along with our coach that is gone now. If not you are asking for this to happen again.

"They have taken the shuffling a bit too far".

Ya dont say. Its a good thing they tracked down an insider to get this scoop. Someone who didnt have ties to the organization wouldnt have been able to deduce that fact.

Yes but the tape doesn't lie. You can figure out what player needs to be released along with our coach that is gone now. If not you are asking for this to happen again.

Well Bobbie Carpenter resulted in the blocked punt last week. Someone on here said Murtha allowed the blocked FG. I personally didnt watch the replay and look for the culprit on that one. I know Wallace, even though he was eliminated from the KR by that huge block to spring Tate, looks VERY SLOW getting down there on returns. In fact, just before Tate got into the open and before Wallace was even blocked out of the play, I said to myself that Wallace looks slow getting down there and dosent look like he is going to get in on the play.

Id say there are quite a few players on the bottom of our roster that simply have no business playing in the NFL. And personally, I pin this on the FO. They are the people that let very serviceable players walk from this team who werent personally selected by them. We let a lot of average to good players go that were here, especially on defense, and a lot of them were pretty good special teamers.

Then we also fail to make moves like picking up Danny Woodhead which I strongly recommended as soon as the Jets cut him. They also picked up a lot of guys that Parcells took while he was in Dallas that have proven themselves not to be NFL worthy before they came here.

Well Bobbie Carpenter resulted in the blocked punt last week. Someone on here said Murtha allowed the blocked FG. I personally didnt watch the replay and look for the culprit on that one. I know Wallace, even though he was eliminated from the KR by that huge block to spring Tate, looks VERY SLOW getting down there on returns. In fact, just before Tate got into the open and before Wallace was even blocked out of the play, I said to myself that Wallace looks slow getting down there and dosent look like he is going to get in on the play.

Id say there are quite a few players on the bottom of our roster that simply have no business playing in the NFL. And personally, I pin this on the FO. They are the people that let very serviceable players walk from this team who werent personally selected by them. We let a lot of average to good players go that were here, especially on defense, and a lot of them were pretty good special teamers.

Then we also fail to make moves like picking up Danny Woodhead which I strongly recommended as soon as the Jets cut him. They also picked up a lot of guys that Parcells took while he was in Dallas that have proven themselves not to be NFL worthy before they came here.
Espn did an article recently and they pin point it. I really wonder if Tony is in over his head. The special team part of the playbook is very good size too.

Espn did an article recently and they pin point it. I really wonder if Tony is in over his head. The special team part of the playbook is very good size too.

It seems that our special teams part of the playbook simply reads "FAIL".

C'mon guys...we have been bitching about the ST coach for 2 years now. We get rid of him...and now we are blaming it on the players? It was the coach!!! Have some faith that we were right and the ST's will improve.

the coach can only do so much in the end the players have to do their jobs, majority of them came out AFTER ST coach was fired and defended him. i just dont understand why we didnt keep donald thomas and marques douglas. these 2 guys were the best depth along the lines we had. nate garner being out is really killing us.

i just wanna ask this, what happens if jake long or vontae davis gets hurt? sparano has preached that if there was one thing he has learned in his tenure in miami its the importance of depth, that over the stretch of the season its typically better to have 2 good players at a position rather than 1 great and no1 to back him up.

so if long goes down what happens?

if vontae goes down whos our starting corners? JA, SS, BS? cmonnnn nolan carroll?

C'mon guys...we have been bitching about the ST coach for 2 years now. We get rid of him...and now we are blaming it on the players? It was the coach!!! Have some faith that we were right and the ST's will improve.
For our sake, I hope the players play better.

We are 2-2!!!!

Lets be honest I watched the game against the Pats and 1st half we totally dominated them. Due to the conservative playcalling we only went in 7-6. If it was not for special teams we would have won that game and be sitting pretty at 3-1.

We now have sacked the ST coach whom has never produced a top half unit. If we do sort out our ST I really believe we can make the playoffs......if Henning becomes more aggressive.

This is the bye week to which we should ensure everything on ST gets changed for the best. If we leave the player that caused most of the problems on Monday night in there with a new coach and it happens again, what did we accomplish by not addressing all of our short falls on ST?

Things will get better on ST, but we need to give the new coach that is fully responsible for ST all the tools he needs to succeed. You don't set him up for failure right off the bat. Tony needs to be a better head coach and make overall better decisions for this team or he will be gone next.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the bye week to which we should ensure everything on ST gets changed for the best. If we leave the player that caused most of the problems on Monday night in there with a new coach and it happens again, what did we accomplish by not addressing all of our short falls on ST?

Things will get better on ST, but we need to give the new coach that is fully responsible for ST all the tools he needs to succeed. You don't set him up for failure right off the bat. Tony needs to be a better head coach and make overall better decisions for this team or he will be gone next.

We don't know what those players were being coached...if they were even being coached...on exactly what their responsibilities are. We had two punts blocked in two weeks by the same stunt on different sides of the formation. The players in those positions both did the same thing...and we ended up with the same result. Who know if that wasn't because that is exactly how they were being coached.

For Walden, he got to be the scapegoat for the first one...and may never play again. The player was blamed. When Carpenter blew the second one...the coach was blamed. I blame the coach for both. Walden had been a solid ST player, but now his career is pretty much over. If it was Bonnie-is-gone's fault...I feel bad for the guy.

If it really was the player's problem...then I hope they start firing them all....they can start with Carpenter in that case.

Back
Top Bottom