Miami Dolphins Talking Points: Anthony Fasano’s role should grow | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins Talking Points: Anthony Fasano’s role should grow

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
1. Expect Fasano’s role to grow as the season moves along.
Last year’s opener at Atlanta was probably the low point in Fasano’s career. He caught two passes for 10 yards but fumbled both away, thwarting Miami drives both times. The mistakes loomed large in the Dolphins’ 19-7 loss.
This year, Fasano redeemed himself, catching three passes for 46 yards including a 21-yarder that not only was Miami’s longest play of the game but set up Ronnie Brown’s 1-yard run on the next play.
Brandon Marshall ran to Fasano and said something to him as he got up. Asked what Marshall said, Fasano replied, “He was giving me a hard time because I didn’t score. But I told him I played Ronnie in my fantasy league this week and wanted him to get the points.” (He was kidding.)
With Marshall, Davone Bess and Brian Hartline splitting three wide on some plays, opponents have little choice but to cover Fasano with a linebacker. When that happens, as it did on that play, expect Chad Henne to look for him down the middle of the field.
2. Is it good or bad that Michael Irvin is a role model for Brandon Marshall?
Marshall revealed Thursday that he and Irvin spoke after Sunday’s game and that he regards the Fort Lauderdale native and former Dallas Hall of Famer as a role model - at least for what he did on the field.
“Mike is a guy who played the game with a lot of passion, and has a lot of wisdom,” Marshall said. “He’s been through some things. Sometimes when you get advice from someone who’s been through things you take heed to it. I’ve enjoyed my time with Mike; he’s definitely a mentor of mine.”
Irvin remains close to a lot of NFL players - Pahokee and Ravens’ wideout Anquan Boldin is another - and there’s no disputing he was a great player. One can only hope those who heed him now can avoid the many mistakes he made during the latter part and after his career ended.
3. Jason Allen faces another huge test against Brett Favre and Minnesota.
Allen not only survived his rare start at cornerback last week, he thrived in the role, though the Dolphin defense had Trent Edwards on the run all game and when he did have time he wasn’t very accurate. The challenge this week is much more significant.
If Percy Harvin is healthy - and he missed practice Thursday with a hip ailment - Allen will have to face either Harvin or Bernard Berrian. Both are accomplished receivers who can turn any catch into a touchdown.
There’s no doubt defensive coordinator Mike Nolan will dial up a few more blitzes this week than he did last to keep pressure on Brett Favre. But the elusive Favre is so adept at stepping away from pressure and/or throwing on the run who’s going to find a way to hit his receivers. It will make a much bigger statement if Allen emerges from this one unscathed.

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thed...king-points-anthony-fasanos-role-should-grow/

As soon as B.Marshall was brought in I have repeatedly said Fasano will have close to Top ten fantasy numbers by default. Defenses have to worry about the big play pass and a tough run game so that allows Fasano to be an after thought.

I never understood why everyone was so down on Fasano in the first place. Yes he had a bad year last year, but he shown enough in 2008 to warrant another year to prove himself imo.

I hope we can get good pressure from out D-line without having to use too many blitzes. Maybe some more 4 man fronts like we used against Buffalo. I really don't want to give too much away cause I hope we unleash all the blitz schemes against the Jets the following week. I'd like to see the defense make Sun-chize cry, lol.

Fasano in my mind could be the long term answer for us at tight end. I mean the guy is only 26 and has alot of upside to him. He makes the tough catches and is a beast to bring down. Reminds me a little bit of Mark Bavaro, not as great as he was but shows glimpses

I wouldn't expect Fasano to have a huge game against the Vikings. They run a lot of Cover 1 and Tampa 2 coverage which aren't exactly friendly to tight ends. Fortunately for Fasano, they also run a good deal of Cover 2 man under which a great coverage for tight ends (that's the coverage he caught the seam pass against). But the key is that the Vikings have some pretty good cover linebackers and it's not like Fasano is some kind of athletic phenom out there.

The group who should have a big day than against the Vikings is the receivers unit. That's a much better matchup for us, particularly on first down when the Vikings like to go eight men in the box and man free in the secondary. Let's hope we've got several first down passes called.

Fasano has shown he is capable of making the clutch catches. He has the size , strength and hands to be a productive player. And he knows he has to show that he can do it consistently to be the kind of tight end the Dolphins want. With right drive, hard work and focus I believe he will have a good season .

clear.gif

I wouldn't expect Fasano to have a huge game against the Vikings. They run a lot of Cover 1 and Tampa 2 coverage which aren't exactly friendly to tight ends. Fortunately for Fasano, they also run a good deal of Cover 2 man under which a great coverage for tight ends (that's the coverage he caught the seam pass against). But the key is that the Vikings have some pretty good cover linebackers and it's not like Fasano is some kind of athletic phenom out there.

The group who should have a big day than against the Vikings is the receivers unit. That's a much better matchup for us, particularly on first down when the Vikings like to go eight men in the box and man free in the secondary. Let's hope we've got several first down passes called.

With injuries and inexperience at cb Marshall is due for a big day. But watch out for Minny to go after it on passing downs. Must max protect against Allen if necessary. Henne's pocket presence will be tested.

With injuries and inexperience at cb Marshall is due for a big day. But watch out for Minny to go after it on passing downs. Must max protect against Allen if necessary. Henne's pocket presence will be tested.

They're not a big blitzing team, though. They rely on that front four to get it done. Lezlie Frazier is a old Tampa 2 guy and blitzing isn't a part of what he does the way it is with a Rex Ryan or a Greg Williams. I'm going to watching their game against the Saints again either tonight or tomorrow but my memory is that he only rarely brings 5 (or 3 for that matter). It just seems like they bring more because those guys are so ****ing good.

Our strategy against Allen should be interesting. Even though Big Jake is a consensus top 5 left tackle they still generally give him help against the top pass rushers. The running backs and Justin Smiley helped him out against Dwight Freeney last year, for example.

i love fasano he will have a year like 2 years ago, but i would love a true pass catching tight end, i love the way fasano blocks more than receiving

actually would like to see ronnie/ricky in over the middle sitting in open spot alot. waiting for it.....waiting for it.....worked all preseason.

He truly makes some sick catches for being such a stout guy. He's been making them for us since his first season with us.

Back
Top Bottom